Mice in the house but what bait are you finding successful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Guy i work with was brought up on a farm and he swears by peanut butter

oh yea, suppose i should have read more
No problem!

We found a fat ball in a cuppboard, (intended for the birds) two thirds eaten by the mice so, as they clearly enjoyed it I baited traps with this and so far after a day the traps are mouse free!

The thing is......... If they have a ready supply of a food source they consider superior to what you bait traps with, they are very unlikely to go near the traps. So what is it in or around your house they are eating? It may even be a stash they accumulated earlier in the year sourced from outside the house and hoarded in a nice dry environment to keep them through winter.............

If you're still having no success with your own bait / traps, etc. it's probably worth calling in a professional pest control firm.

My sister had a problem with mink! There were two. Both ate the trout in their pond in days. They number just one now so no breeding for them. When the remaining one shows its head again it too will be going to the great coat/glove factory in the sky!

Bait trap with poison. Not the type that will kill them right away, but the type that will kill them over time as it's less likely to hurt any animal that eats them, and they won't wise up to being being poisoned. Find out how they're getting in and seal it out. If you don't, they'll just keep coming.

We caught 14 before Christmas (now all gone) using peanut butter or marmalade. We were not sure where they were coming from so we set up a camera to record them...and discovered they quite easily consumed the bait without setting off the trap...except that once!!! These traps were so sensitive they were hard to set...but the mice are so light.

Bait trap with poison. Not the type that will kill them right away, but the type that will kill them over time as it's less likely to hurt any animal that eats them, and they won't wise up to being being poisoned. Find out how they're getting in and seal it out. If you don't, they'll just keep coming.
Tried peanut butter et etc, np takers. As for sealing holes, part of the property is 1560's, and now they are in and warm :)

Tried peanut butter et etc, np takers. As for sealing holes, part of the property is 1560's, and now they are in and warm :)

Have a google/youtube search for mouse traps. There are some ingenious devices out there. My favourite is the balloon and a bucket of water ;-)

I would get a cat and traps. Soon sorted.

We had a couple of mice following the cold spell over the holidays- they always seem to come in when it drops below freezing outside - no idea how they get in ...

Anyway , we used to use cheese , but latterly have used peanut butter . Ours also seemed to develop a liking for expanding foam ! At one point I used it to seal up holes in the floor around central heating pipes ( we’d originally had the large pipes which at some stage were replaced by microbore, coming through the original holes ) and the mice seemed able to squeeze through there , so I thought to seal the holes . Not long after we heard scratching noises , then the stuff was broken up and we found the little bu66ers were eating it ! I then sealed the holes with my hot glue gun , which seems to have worked .
Also tried chocolate spread with some success . I’d also wonder about little bits of fruit - strawberry , apple , banana ? Certainly strawberry and apple must be things they eat in their natural habitat outside ?

Get a cat
That does work : I borrowed my sisters cat once for a few days and the problem was gone - just had to make sure cat didn’t escape out the door !

We got a pack of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081H48X7Y/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

plugged 3 of them around the house (1 in loft) and been mouse free now for over 2 years.

I’d have been out of the door years ago had I suggested setting traps. :)
We got something similar and keep it plugged in in the kitchen, which was where the mice mostly seemed to be .
It certainly reduced the problem but didn’t completely eliminate . We’d figured they came in the back door which is often left open during warmer weather .
Likewise we live in the country surrounded by fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom