Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No human being has the capacity to feel equally emphatic about every needy, sick, or injured person alive, not even Mother Theresa or the Pope.

Yet someone who is moved by nothing is equally abnormal.

Most people feel emphatic about people they know, either personally or through other means, e.g. the media.

So yes, I feel more for a famous and much admired F1 legend being seriously injured while engaging in high risk sport activity, than I would for a plumber in Berlin whom I never heard off and had the misfortune of falling off a ladder. I guess this makes me normal, be it a good thing or bad.

It does not mean the one person is more important than the other, or that one life is worth more that the other. Just that we are rightly inacapale of taking everything in all at once and without going mad - we must have some sort of hierarchy in our own feeling towards the other 7 billion inhabitants of this planet.

Get well soon, Michael Schumacher.

The question that worries me is, will he remember what have happened ,when comes out of coma...

Last edited:
No human being has the capacity to feel equally emphatic about every needy, sick, or injured person alive, not even Mother Theresa or the Pope.
Well said, but a perfectly reasonable lack of empathy with someone is no excuse for making callous and scurrilous personal comments about them.

Paul/ said:
Well said, but a perfectly reasonable lack of empathy with someone is no excuse for making callous and scurrilous personal comments about them.

Read up on my Ronnie Biggs post for some of that. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Read up on my Ronnie Biggs post for some of that. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Apples and Oranges I am afraid.

One excelled at a legitimate activity bringing joy to many in the process, the other excelled at a criminal activity bringing misery to a few (his own family included whom he abandoned in Australia to save his own skin).

Lack of empathy for one is quite normal for some people

Do we have an update on his condition Gents...

Just got out of hospital myself so I guess I have a hightened sense of his situation.

Nik_Endeavour said:
Apples and Oranges I am afraid. One excelled at a legitimate activity bringing joy to many in the process, the other excelled at a criminal activity bringing misery to a few (his own family included whom he abandoned in Australia to save his own skin). Lack of empathy for one is quite normal for some people
Ah ok. So we grade empathy dependant on status, past lives, personal perception. I think personal perception is the winner and you demonstrate this. You make no mention of those who liked Ronnie Biggs despite his chosen lifestyle. My point is. When we have Public outpouring we will always have polarised views. Some would demonise MS for his "ruthless win at any cost" style. Others will embrace and espouse that very style as a virtue. A mans a man for all that. I wish him well as a man. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

....Just got out of hospital myself so I guess I have a hightened sense of his situation.

Sorry to hear that (or rather, glad that you got out...). Hope you are well now.

Last edited:
It looks like Ronnie Biggs isn't dead after all.

He was last seen riding Shergar. Nelson Mandela was on Red Rum.

Elvis held the starter's pistol…..

Elvis is not dead. He still releases records on a regular basis. He also did the voice on my Sat Nav. So let's not get silly about this. Anyway. Freddie Star ate my hamster. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Sorry to hear that (or rather, glad that you got out...). Hope you are well now.

Surgeon said I should make a full recovery. Feeling pretty good right now, nothing too serious as long as you are aware of your limitations, after all, a Man's got to know his limitations; Love ya work Clint :):)

Last edited:
^Hope you maintain your recovery. I only ever get my ambitions and capabilities mixed up when red wine is involved. But a steering wheel is never involved.

Just a little internal bleeding that is well sorted now. If ever you vomit blood no matter how small amout it is GO TO HOSPITAL! I was very reluctant and it almost cost me my life; living alone ATM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom