Michelin Composite Snow Chains now available in Costco

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Goldfish11, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Goldfish11

Goldfish11 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
    OK I know it is "belt and braces" but I just popped into CostCo and they are selling packs of Michelin Composite Snow Chains for £49.99 + VAT per pack of two. These are also approved for use in France (where their kind police will fine you if you are in the alps without chains and get stuck)

This price is about half the UK internet price.:thumb:

See video's on this site

Michelin Easy Grip Composite Snow Chains - FREE UK Delivery

and also on Youtube (it is in French but worth a look)

Chaine Neige composite Michelin Easygrip : montage et utilisation - YouTube

If you check out this website you can also get them for your shoes :eek:

Easy grip chaine

Details from back of the pack I bought are below you need to know the size plus tyre profile (i.e. 16" and 205 55) as there is a different fittling for 16" 225 50 etc) For example for my vehicle it is L13.

So when things get bad it is going to be winter tyres plus a set of these in the boot. :D

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. StevenN

StevenN Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 CDI 2002 W210 Auto
    How does she spin the wheel to fit it round?

3. OP
    OP
    Goldfish11

Car:
    Gets in the car and drives it forward :dk:

4. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
  5. OP
    OP
    Goldfish11

Car:
    Didn't spot the ones for your shoes, but my visit to Costco was quite quick. Are the ones for shoes also only for use up to speeds of 40kmh?

1 person likes this.
  6. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    LOL, probably :D

7. StevenN

StevenN Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 CDI 2002 W210 Auto
    You see her spin the wheel by hand but no jack is visible at the start.:confused:

I like the idea though:thumb:

8. LukeB1980

LukeB1980 New Member

Car:
    2010 C200 CDi Elegance
    Hi all,

I've been looking into these for a while as I've got a W204 C200 CDi (manual) and have got a 5 mile drive down some lovely quiet country roads to get to / from my house from any of the main roads... Since this is the first winter I've lived there I want to invest in something like this, and as it's a company car, winter tyres are out of the question.
    I'm still unsure whether or not to go for these or the Auto Socks - got to admit that these look a lot better!
    The main question is whether or not an additional set is needed for the front wheels? The Auto Sock website recommend an additional pair for the front wheels to aid steering and braking which I can understand the logic of, but is this just a ploy to get you to fork out for an additional pair?
    The Michelin Easy Grips look to be the better product, but give no advice as to how many sets RWD car drivers need.
    I will only want them for emergency "get me home" type situations, and if that was down flat 'normal' roads I would just buy a pair of Autosocks for the rears, but with the twisty incline and descent of my local roads I want to know that they will do the trick.
    Would I be going over the top to buy a pair of Easy Grips for the rears as well as a pair of Auto Socks for the fronts??

9. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    Have you asked? Apparently some companies are changing tyres this year due to "health & safety". If you happen to work for a company with offices in other European countries then they'll be used to doing this.

Re not putting socks etc on the front - I've managed to get away with not driving my MB in snow for the last couple of winters, but a colleague got an E220CDi estate last year and he said steering it was worse than getting it going! he was astonished how bad it was - the BMW 5 Series he'd had the winter before had caused him no serious problems but he reckoned the MB was undriveable.

10. LukeB1980

LukeB1980 New Member

Car:
    2010 C200 CDi Elegance
    A number of other colleagues have asked the question, but there's been no definite response as yet, and it's getting too close to the cold season for me to keep on waiting...
    So judging from your colleagues experience, it wouldn't do any harm to think about socks for the front as well?

11. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Well yes they do: in the OP's message the Michelin blurb says fit to the driven wheels only.

I was in our local Costco a week ago and the range of sizes on offer was limited.

12. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

I spotted these the other day and they do look easy to fit compared to normal chains?

I've the winter tyres on order for our trip to the alps do may go for these rather than normal chains.

Could you jack the wheel up and slide them over? I always carry a bottle jack and small plank of wood and thought that would be easier to fit ?

13. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I can't imagine how that would be easier than rolling the car half a wheel rotation and popping them on. bear in mind it'll be very cold when you're doing this, and you may not be able to get the car into safe position to be jacking it up.
    The Snowsocks should self-centre when fitted, so getting them exactly right isn't supposed to be critical. I've got a couple of sets but have never used them, so haven't tested this though!

1 person likes this.
  14. LukeB1980

LukeB1980 New Member

Car:
    2010 C200 CDi Elegance
    Ah, didn't see that bit...

Think I might just invest in a pair of the Easygrips for the rears (cos they look a lot grippier / durable) and a pair of Autosocks for the front to save any braking / steering issues.

Has anyone else thought about doing this?

15. LukeB1980

LukeB1980 New Member

Car:
    2010 C200 CDi Elegance
    Well I popped into my local Costco at the weekend and they still had a fair few sets of these still in stock - I ended up buying a set as they a lot cheaper there than anywhere else. Will give them a go on their own on the rear axle if (when) we get any real snow - if it still needs anything to help with the steering / braking then I'll look at getting a set of Autosocks for the front...

16. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I would forget the Autosocks for the front to be honest. If conditions warrant putting on the Easigrips on the rear you should be driving pretty slowly anyway. In really snowy conditions anticipation is your best safety aid. Despite what folks say your braking rear wheels [ yes they have discs brakes and everything!] will slow you down provided you are not going that fast. You may wish to slip the autobox into neutral when approaching T junctions however.;)

17. LukeB1980

LukeB1980 New Member

Car:
    2010 C200 CDi Elegance
    The main reason I was initially considering something extra for the fronts is that there's quite a lot of downhill (single track national speed limit) sections of the country lanes that I need to get down to get home, and they don't get much traffic - I didn't want to be going downhill and keep on going straight instead of going round the corner...
    Fortunately I went for a manual gear box - I was based in Scotland when I ordered it and thought it was a questionable enough choice going for a rear wheel drive, let alone with an autobox as well!!!

18. clever dicky

clever dicky Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jag
    Ive had socks and basic chains. The socks were more than useless for 2nd use. Once they got wet through the fabric just ripped. I got a refund eventually.

Chains although a pain to fit are fantastic in use. With foot deep snow last year they were great even on compacted snow & ice. Steering very slow was ok. You could fit 4 but to driving wheels only is fine. You cant go more than 10 - 15 max anyway.

If i only had one choice or chance! It would have to be chains everytime. Because when your stuck in snow you mignt only get one chance. Make sure its the right one.

19. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    It's difficult to imagine why they'd be forbidden on non-driven wheels.

Perhaps the blurb is just making the point, but not very well, that if you've got a pair of them they should be fitted to the driven wheels. Some owners don't know which are the driven wheels anyway - most of us have seen the picture of the BMW 1 Series with chains on the front wheels!
    BMW Stuck In The Snow? Guess Which End Your Chains Go On...

20. LukeB1980

LukeB1980 New Member

Car:
    2010 C200 CDi Elegance
    Hmmm, before I posted my question on here I decided to send an e-mail to Michelin through the contact details on their website - see my original e-mail and the response below;

Dear Sir

A rear wheel drive car easy must have a set of chains on rear wheels and we strongly advise to fit a set of chains on the front wheels to aid braking and steering.

Best Regards.
    Mélanie Joubert

Service Easy Grip
    Champ de Clure
    BP 67
    63600 Ambert
    Tel : 04 73 82 58 28
    http://www.easygrip.fr

De: XXXXXX@XXXXXX.com [mailto:XXXXX@XXXXX.com]
    Date: lun. 07/11/2011 12:39
    À: Mélanie Joubert
    Objet : [Easy grip chaine à neige composite Michelin] Message from contact form

Message from Easy grip chaine à neige composite Michelin

Message from your shop Easy grip chaine à neige composite Michelin

E-mail address: XXXXXXX@XXXXXX.com

Can you please advise whether or not a rear wheel drive car would need an additional set of Easygrips on the front wheels (as well as the rear wheels) to aid steering & braking, or is it recommended that they are only fitted to the rear wheels?

Regards,

Luke

I'm just about to respond saying that their literature clearly states "Fit to driven wheels only", and will let you know the response.

Managed to get down to my local Costco at the weekend and they still had plenty in stock, so have now got a shiny new set of Easygrips sitting in my boot!!

1 person likes this.