Michelin CrossClimate+ or ContiEcoContact 5?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iliria

Car
W205 C200 Sport petrol (67)
Time to change the tyres on my W205 and was wondering what you gouys would recommend? I have done some research and the Michelin CrossClimate+ are rated quite high generally. However this is not the case on National Tyres website. They seem to rate the Conti higher than Michelin.In fact they rate the Michelin Energy savers higher than Crossclimate.

205 60 r16 Tyres from National Tyres and Autocare

I am looking for cross climate tyres which are 205/60 R16.

What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
The other question is, if the car's speed rating is rated H can I buy a V instead? Does it matter and will it make much difference? Not quite sure what the numbers next to the speed rating mean (e.g. 92, 96 and so on).

Time to change the tyres on my W205 and was wondering what you gouys would recommend? I have done some research and the Michelin CrossClimate+ are rated quite high generally. However this is not the case on National Tyres website. They seem to rate the Conti higher than Michelin.In fact they rate the Michelin Energy savers higher than Crossclimate.

205 60 r16 Tyres from National Tyres and Autocare

I am looking for cross climate tyres which are 205/60 R16.

What do you guys recommend?

1. The Michelin CrossClimate+ is a unique tyre in that it is good for both summer and winter driving without being a compromise between the two (like some 'all-weather' tyres). But check the sidewall load rating - for my car's tyre size, the load rating is 91, however Michelin CrossClimate+ were only available in load rating 94 which would have meant a stiffer sidewall and harsher ride than I would ideally like to have.

2. The ContiEcoContact 5 is a decent tyre, but it's aimed at low fuel consumption. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that it is not a direct comparison with the Michelin which is a Winter/Summer tyre. I think you'll need to chose your tyre based on what you want most of it - winter driving capability, low fuel consumption, performance, or comfort? BTW I believe that you can also have the ContiEcoContact 5 as MO ('Mercedes Original'), if this is important to you.

3. I would disregard owners' reviews, they tend to be unintentionally biased for a range of reasons. Look for tyre tests carried out by Auto Express (or other reputable motoring magazines) and the German ADAC.

4. Personally I would suggest that you also consider the Dunlop Sport BluResponse, it came top in several tests (though not in all), and it is very reasonable priced for a premium tyre. I bought 2 sets so far, one for my previous W203, one for the Kia, and I can't fault them (but keep in mind what I said about owners' reviews... :) ).

Last edited:
The other question is, if the car's speed rating is rated H can I buy a V instead? Does it matter and will it make much difference? Not quite sure what the numbers next to the speed rating mean (e.g. 92, 96 and so on).

1. You can use a tyre with any speed rating that meets or exceeds your car's original spec. So if your car was originally specified with H-rated tyres, you can use H, V, W, etc.

2. The other number is the load rating, the higher the number the stiffer the sidewall. Again the tyre will need to have a load rating that meets or exceeds the original spec. But generally speaking it's not a good idea to exceed the original load rating because you'll get a harsher ride.

I believe ATS Euromaster are still owned by Michelin -- National Tyres used to be owned by Continental AG but are now owned by Axle group holdings. Of course they both supply all makes of tyres but this may explain some residual supply chain loyalties?

I fitted CrossClimates on my W205 and was really impressed with them. It included a spell of snow and even in untreated areas e.g. car parks, they provided grip.

I fitted crossclimates to my car when they first came out and was so impressed that I now have them on all my cars.

I have Cross Climates on my W203 and although they have yet to be properly tested in snow, I can't say I wished I hadn't bought them. The best compliment I can pay them is they have been completely unnoticeable on the car. That's a good thing.

I'm thinking about changing to Cross climates for my 2016 W212 220SE. The original tyres are 225/50 R 17 W 94. The highest speed rating Cross Climates in that size that I can see are V 98. I'm happy with going for a higher load index and the speed rating going down from a W to a V seems a bit academic. Thoughts? Potential insurance problems?

I bought an ML where the selling garage had replaced the two rear Pirelli tyres with lower speed rating than specified ( obviously to save money ) I only realised after taking delivery , dealer refused to replace them with correct speed rated tyres, said they would prefer to give me my money back! Agreed I would keep the car if insurance company was happy , spoke to them and they agreed to make a note on the policy and continue cover.

Thanks for that. I fear that I might not be able to have a sensible conversation with the insurance company and they’ll probably charge (£20 as I recall) for any change / update

For your info the insurance company involved was Admiral, there was no cost

Thank you for the advice guys. I currently have Michelin EnergySaver and they have been ok. The grip in wet has been good but in snow it wasnt the best. But then again rear wheel drives are known for behaving badly in snow. However we dont get that much snow anyway so it doesnt bother me. Performance in wet weather is first priority followed closely by fuel efficiency. Generally I tend to drive in Comfort mode and use Sport+ just for overtaking.

Can I ask, do I have to change all 4 tyres to Cross Climate so they are all V96. Or can I have the front set as V96 Cross Climate and the rear set as V92 Energy Savers?

It is not a good idea to mix all-weather tyres (or winter tyres) with summer tyres.

If your rears are summer tyres and are fine, i.e. you are only replacing the front tyres, then you can either get two new summer tyres (and as a side note, when mixing two new tyres with two old tyres, the new tyres should go on the rear), or get 4 all-weather tyres, or 4 Winter tyres.

Thank you markjay. Got 4 new CrossClimate+ from Blackcircles. To be fitted in 5 days time. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom