Michelin Pilot Sport Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdman

Car
E55 & Phaeton
According to my local rag (East Anglian Daily Times, 30 Dec 2005) under the heading 'Tyres recalled':

'Michelin is launching a recall of 255/35 ZR 20 97Y Michelin Pilot Sport Extra Load tyres.
'This decision results from the analysis of customer returns in Europe, which has revealed an
anomaly that in certain cases may lead to a rapid loss of air pressure in the tyre.
'This situation constitutes a potential safety risk. As a precautionary measure Michelin has
decided to exchange all the subject tyres. A freephone number (0800 056 7200) is being
made available to provide additional information relating to this operation.'

Our local paper is the master of understatement. The release might have been run as,

'Exploding Tyres: Many Feared Dead'.

Wonder what they mean by 'customer returns'. Little strips of melted rubber? Be interested if anyone runs Michelins as a matter of course.
I'd like to if they weren't so damn' expensive. Where can I get them on, say, a 50% discount?

Birdman said:
Wonder what they mean by 'customer returns'. Little strips of melted rubber? Be interested if anyone runs Michelins as a matter of course.
I'd like to if they weren't so damn' expensive. Where can I get them on, say, a 50% discount?

I always fit michelins , never that big .. but you can get them cheaper in costco

flippin eck, i was thinking "they are the ones i run" until i saw the "20" part!

Judging from the description, it's the sort of size you'll find on the top end 4x4's (Cayenne's, X5 4.8's and big ML's).
Not surprised if they're starting to let go, that's an awful lot of car travelling at potentially very high speed, which is a hell of a lot for a tyre to deal with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom