Michelin Primacy HP 245/45R17

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
I've got these on my E320 S211 and I'm sure they're trying to kill me! In the wet they seem to have almost no grip at all when coming off a roundabout. I'm finding that just lightly accelerating is causing the car to squirm and squirrel as though on ice and the traction control is flashing like it's a 70s disco!

I used to have Conti Sport Contact 3s 235/45 R17 on my W210 E320 and never had too much trouble, unless I was being stupid driving it. Would these be a good option for the new car, or is there anything else worth considering?

It's a shame, as in the dry the tyres seem fine, and they have loads of tread still, although one is scalloped on the outside edge and makes an awfully racket when driving at anything over 30mph.

Thanks for any ideas.

I think autoexpress did a recent tyre review continental sport contact 5 did very well .?due to be superseded by contact 6.
Have read good review of hankook evo2 .
Surprised because Michelin generally make a decent tyre.
Please share your updated tyre experience.
rgds

Well, today, in the dry, the car was much better behaved. If flooring it coming off a roundabout, and hitting the sweetspot of the torque curve, it's still possible to get a bit twitchy, but there was none of the paranoid driving that my trip in the rain had caused.

Part of me is wondering, could the extra 70Nm of torque be partially responsible for the difference in driving between this and my old 320CDi W210? Or could the slightly wider tyres be a factor - 245 vs 235? Or is it really likely to be that the tyres are just horrid?!

My car is now shod with Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres all round, and had a full laser alignment. Hopefully, I should now feel safer!

However, my car is still making a horrible noise, noticeable from about 30 mph and seeming to get louder as the speed increases. The only way I can attempt to describe the sound is it's almost like a ghost wailing. The garage from which I bought the car are going to look at the wheel bearings, so here's hoping that cures it. However, my Merc indy thought that it was tyre noise, rather than bearings, but surely it shouldn't get so loud as to be noticeable above the radio?

Is there anything else that would make a noise that changes with speed rather than revs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom