Michelin Primacy vs Goodyear Efficient Grip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
The 245/45 R17 95W (summer) tyres on my W212 will require replacement in the next 2,000 miles or so. It's currently on Pirelli Cinturato P7's which grip and handle OK in both the wet and the dry, but haven't excelled in life terms and are quite noisy - a W212 Achilles heel. While they've generally been OK I've never been a fan of Pirelli tyres and I tend to prefer Michelin, the Goodyear Efficient Grip seems to get pretty favourable reviews.

I had Michelin Primacy HP's which I liked on my W204 so I have that as another "benchmark", and am therefore looking for anyone who can share direct experience of the Michelin Primacy 3 and / or the Goodyear Efficient Grip, especially if they can compare them to either the P7's or Primacy HP's.

According to the mytyres website, the Goodyear is 2dB quieter than both the P7's and the Primacy 3's, with the Primacy HP sitting in the middle, 1dB quieter than the P7's and 1dB noisier than the Goodyear's. Wet Grip of the Primacy 3's is rated A, while all the others achieve a B score. Both the Primacy 3's and the Goodyear's are rated C on the Rolling Resistance scale while the other two are rated E. Does anyone have any real-world info on how much difference that represents in fuel consumption?

I'm not concerned about grip in snow as I have a set of Conti TS830P's (which are excellent) that I swap to in winter.

Any input appreciated...

I have a set of efficient grips on our daily derv bora and passat. Found them to be excellent tyres very quiet good grip levels as well. They also seem to last done over 25,000 miles with them on the passat and there's still a fair bit of tread left on the front loads left on the rear. MPG wise both cars do 55+ mpg

You can't hear 1 or 2 dB difference. And a rating based on noise meter readings won't tell you how annoying the noise is - just how it measures. So I'd ignore the noise figures

3 dB is generally accepted to be the smallest difference you can perceive. 10 dB is a big difference. It's a logorythmic scale

Nick Froome

Just thought I'd close this one out.

In the end I decided to go with the Goodyear Efficient Grip and can report that on my W212 they are noticeably quieter than the OE Pirelli Cinturato P7's, which is very welcome.

I purchased four tyres from Blackcircles and had them fitted by a local garage. When I did a quick walk round before driving off, everything looked OK but when I parked up at home I was astonished at the quantity of balance weights on one of the wheels. Three of the four wheels were balanced with 35grams or less, but the offside front had a continuous strip of weights around almost one-third of its circumference. A quick count up and I worked out it had 100grams of weights on it!

I emailed Blackcircles Customer Support expressing concern that that level of imbalance could suggest a manufacturing fault with the tyre. To their credit, they responded almost immediately, but said that they would need to discuss the matter with Goodyear Technical who were now closed for the day. The next day I was called by Blackcircles who said that the tyre manufacturer thought the level of imbalance excessive, so they supplied a replacement tyre which was fitted yesterday morning and balanced up with 35grams.

So, ten out of ten for Blackcircles customer service, but a bit worrying that Goodyear's QC looks like it might be less than 100% effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom