Mick Doohan - CL65

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Was on the phone to my step dad back in MB Australia this morning and he told me that Mick Doohan's new car had arrived - the mightly CL65.

Obviously all of the staff are excited about the car, as the price of the beast is a little prohibitive in Australia, so they are rarely seen. AUD$459,900 + taxes (or close enough to £182k + taxes) Keep in mind the salaries people earn out there, then you'll realise just how much that actually is. (Almost 9 year salary from my last Aussie job!)

I mentioned the press comments passed here about the power being "too much" and he just laughed.

I remember Mercedes giving Mick Doohan a CLK55AMG to race in a road rally a couple of years ago (think it was in Oz); the car looked stunning, in silver of course ...

... until he took a corner too fast and rolled it, and rolled it again. Very impressive accident. Totalled it. :eek:

The best bit though was Mick being interviewed after and he was just grinning and laughing, in his usual way. "No worries, mate!" What a guy!

Would I be correct in assuming that he's a bit of a hero in Oz?

Mick is most certainly a well loved character at home. He's a long term Merc owner too - what a guy.

My old man has been dealing with him and his AMGs for some time. In fact even I got to drive his C36 in burgundy red. :bannana:

Flyer said:
Would I be correct in assuming that he's a bit of a hero in Oz?

Morning Flyer,
Nice to read your message and the fact he was unhurt. He was certainly a brilliant rider, worthy World Champion and a tremendous Ambassador not only for his sport, but also his country.

Mick Doohan certainly did not like coming second, I wonder how long it will be before the CL is totalled?

Regards,
John

I don't think he's ever crashed any of his own cars, but I seem to remember that his wife/ex-wife managed to dent a few.

scotth_uk said:
Mick is most certainly a well loved character at home. He's a long term Merc owner too - what a guy.

My old man has been dealing with him and his AMGs for some time. In fact even I got to drive his C36 in burgundy red. :bannana:

I would say your father is very fortunate to be dealing with Mick. He is a legend in the sport and was one of the first guys I saw getting the rear end of his bike out of shape PURPOSELY to get round the corner quicker. He was/is an amazing rider the like of which we rarely see. There are just a few in his class, Agostini, Spencer and Rossi are three others.

Its good to hear that he is a Mercedes fan also. Shows he has taste and skill.

Alfie said:
I would say your father is very fortunate to be dealing with Mick. He is a legend in the sport and was one of the first guys I saw getting the rear end of his bike out of shape PURPOSELY to get round the corner quicker. He was/is an amazing rider the like of which we rarely see. There are just a few in his class, Agostini, Spencer and Rossi are three others.

Its good to hear that he is a Mercedes fan also. Shows he has taste and skill.

Hi Alfie,
I think that perhaps you are being too patronising, I loved watching Mick ride. He was certainly very good but there have also been any number of comparable Gp riders, who years before Doohan were drifting their 500's Randy Mamola, Freddie Spencer, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts Barry Sheene etc. etc. You have not even mentioned John Surtees who even managed to become a World Champion on Gp bikes then Formula 1.

When you start looking at TT riders then it is a completely different picture. My own personal opinion is TT riders are perhaps the 'craziest\bravest\fastest?? and the likes of Joey Dunlop will never be seen again in our life times.

Ambassadors to motorcyle racing must always include Barry Sheene, he was the man that really dragged the sport into the TV lights and got riders earning a decent wage. Mick Doohan was brilliant, but only acheived his brilliance on one make of motorcycle. I am not knocking the man, but one of your list, 'Rossi' recognised this and showed the World what an outstanding Gp rider he is.

sorry to be a 'pain' but I love my Motor Sports and have nothing better to do than read these very interesting threads. Your message was very nice, but triggered my romantic memory banks :) Please do not think I am looking for an arguement. I am hopefully adding more 'petals' to a nice flower. ;)

Motor bike racing is FAR more entertaining than Formula 1 and the riders far braver! There I have perhaps lit a fuse here.

Thanks very much for making me ""Think Bike""

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Motor bike racing is FAR more entertaining than Formula 1 and the riders far braver! There I have perhaps lit a fuse here.

I am an F1 fan. Watch every Grand Prix. But, I used to watch qualifying live on TV, watch the race live (even the Australian, 4am start) and would re-arrange my day so that I wasn't disturbed ...

... nowadays, I don't bother with qualifying and I tape the race to fast-forward through the boring bits (should that be "stop for the interesting bits"? ;) ) ...

... I don't know much about bike racing, but I fail to see how anybody could argue with you John; F1 is boring and if the forthcoming season is anything like last, I can see me not even bothering to record the race. There is, of course, more entertaining car racing (BTCC, GT, DTM, F3, etc), but maybe still not as brave(?) as the bike riders.

So, Scott, that CL65; do we know what colour choice he went for?

glojo said:
Hi Alfie,
I think that perhaps you are being too patronising, I loved watching Mick ride. He was certainly very good but there have also been any number of comparable Gp riders, who years before Doohan were drifting their 500's Randy Mamola, Freddie Spencer, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts Barry Sheene etc. etc. You have not even mentioned John Surtees who even managed to become a World Champion on Gp bikes then Formula 1.

When you start looking at TT riders then it is a completely different picture. My own personal opinion is TT riders are perhaps the 'craziest\bravest\fastest?? and the likes of Joey Dunlop will never be seen again in our life times.

Ambassadors to motorcyle racing must always include Barry Sheene, he was the man that really dragged the sport into the TV lights and got riders earning a decent wage. Mick Doohan was brilliant, but only acheived his brilliance on one make of motorcycle. I am not knocking the man, but one of your list, 'Rossi' recognised this and showed the World what an outstanding Gp rider he is.

sorry to be a 'pain' but I love my Motor Sports and have nothing better to do than read these very interesting threads. Your message was very nice, but triggered my romantic memory banks :) Please do not think I am looking for an arguement. I am hopefully adding more 'petals' to a nice flower. ;)

Thanks very much for making me ""Think Bike""

Regards,
John

I didn't mean to be patronising rather just singling out one or two of the greats. In particular those who won mulitple titles either on the same day (Spencer) or in different classes (Spencer). Surtees has a unique place in history agreed. Doohan was almost invincible. One of the naturals amongst the highly skilled. Rossi is another. There are those in every sport who are just naturally gifted at what they do. There are those who are just damned good because of the training and preparation. These guys dont stand a chance against a natural. For F1, Schumacher and Senna are two.

TT riders were either nuts or the at the pinnacle of bravery. Anyone who can ride at 100mph+ just inches from trees and stone walls, deserves a medal.

Totally agree with your comment on bike racing being FAR more interesting than F1 or any other car race for tha matter. Even if in F1, the cars were equal it would still be dull when compared to bikes.

hi folks they are all good gp riders that you have mentioned above but would any of them have carried on racing (not including barry sheene) if they had almost lost there leg like mick did and carry on racing in the same season only for him to come off his bike again around 5 weeks later and miss out on winning the championship by only a couple of points !! the first rider to rear drift the bike was king kenny roberts snr this he learned to do on the dirt & tarmac ovals he used to race on in the usa before he joined gp's. rossi is a real talent,he jumped in to shueys prancing horse (after never being in a single seater in his life) and was with in 1 sec of him. as for tt riders being braver ,madder,than say gp or superbike riders thats too different types of animal. like chalk and cheese only thing is they both ride bikes. :D

mobbster said:
but would any of them have carried on racing (not including barry sheene) if they had almost lost there leg like mick did and carry on racing in the same season only for him to come off his bike again around 5 weeks later and miss out on winning the championship by only a couple of points !!

. as for tt riders being braver ,madder,than say gp or superbike riders thats too different types of animal. like chalk and cheese only thing is they both ride bikes. :D

Hi Mobbster,
I think the secret here is to understand that no one is criticising anyone's observations.

Your example of Mick Doohan's tenacity is understandable, but usually racing is 'in the blood' There are endless examples of racers receiving serious injuries and bouncing back.

Sadly with motorbikes it is a very non forgiving sport. Bad accidents are horrific and riders are fortunate to simply survive. If there is anyway they can get back into the saddle they will. Just like Mick Doohan.

As I very, very respectfully pointed out before Mick Doohan was good, we all know of another rider that became paralyzed but watch him race a fourtrack!!

In motor racing was Nickie Lauda less brave or Mika Hakkinen? The list unfortunately is endless and Mick Doohan is just one member of a very elite group of sportspeople that reached the pinnacle.

TT racers have frequently gone over to Gp racing although not many have got to the top formula. Last season one of the most successful TT riders competed in British Superbikes and performed very well. (my morphine has cut in but I think it was McGuinness, but please feel free to correct me) there are numerous TT racers who are now competing in all sorts of racing Mick Rutter and another of my hero's Dave Jefferies.. what a man!!!! If only........

No, I very respectfully believe that some TT riders can travel straight onto the Gp circuit racing course, BUT it takes a certain breed of man to race the TT circuits.

I am not very with it and cannot remember how both Surtees and Agostini got on, we all know Barry Sheene's opinion on TT racing ;) :)

As I said earlier I am not NOT criticising you, I am merely adding more colour into the picture.

Regards,
John The Motor fanatic :)

Last edited:
good post and i except your views, only thing i dont really agree with is i dont think a modern tt rider would ever transfer across to moto gp and be world champion (or finish in top 2-7 positions very often ) most of the riders who win any of the tt races are of an older age,and thats because it takes years or riding the tt course to get it right. it dont matter how fast or good a young rider is ,you just cannot seem to beat the older guys 26/40 (joey dunlop springs to mind - god rest) but i will say this, most of the riders of the tt have BALLS , one mistake out on the tt course and your in a very big mess, not many safety fences, hay bails or run off areas over there.
cheers all & thanks for the chat !! :D

mobbster said:
good post and i except your views, only thing i dont really agree with is i dont think a modern tt rider would ever transfer across to moto gp and be world champion (or finish in top 2-7 positions very often ) most of the riders who win any of the tt races are of an older age,and thats because it takes years or riding the tt course to get it right. it dont matter how fast or good a young rider is ,you just cannot seem to beat the older guys 26/40 (joey dunlop springs to mind - god rest) but i will say this, most of the riders of the tt have BALLS , one mistake out on the tt course and your in a very big mess, not many safety fences, hay bails or run off areas over there.
cheers all & thanks for the chat !! :D

Hi Mobbster,
Totally agree with what you have said and my fault for not expressing myself properly. When I was talking about TT racers crossing over to

When I said, **TT riders crossing over to Gp racing although not many have got to the top formula.**

I actually meant going onto 'circuit racing' and we have seen some excellent TT riders doing extremely well in the Super Bike competitions. My fault for a bad description.

'Yur Man' will live forever and I can never imagine his records being equalled. No doubt he and Jeffers are having many a race around the 'Pearly Gates' circuit. :)

Nice speaking to you,
John

i agree buddy, we have gone off the topic a bit ! (micks car ) but enjoyed the chat !!!!!!!!!!! as with your last comment about joey & jeffers they are probably having the same chat with mr.sheene (im better than youuuuuu ! :rolleyes: ha ha) cheers. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom