Micra's dead Long live the Micra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vibesg

Car
CLS 320 Cdi; Volvo XC90 D5; VW Polo tdi
Mrs Vibesg was starting a new job this morning so she left pretty early.
She phoned around 8.30 to report her location. She was on the M40 Southbound when she reported a clackety noise in the engine. I advised her to pull over at the next service station and I'll talk her through. She was approaching the A34 when she reported a loss of power and smoke. I asked her to get off the phone (bluetooth) quickly and concentrate on pulling over unto the hard shoulder. She reported a lot of water under the engine and lots of smoke. She was quite scared.
I rang the RAC who then attended, and their verdict - Its not water but oil all over the engine bay and under the car. He reckoned a piston rod had shot through and damaged the engine. He towed Mrs V + Car to her new employers (what an entrance..I'll be taking the mickey when I see her this evening) and she got on with her day.

Decisions
1. Micra Dci's are lovely little things. With 82 bhp the car has FSH (not all Nissan) and has given sterling service and 30,000 over the last 2 years of ownership. I bought it for my daughter to learn to drive. It soon became my wife's commuter car as she can run it on spit (my lingo for very economic.). Its now done 140k miles.
2. Should I invest in a replacement engine from a younger Micra Dci?
3. I haven't seen the RAC's report as yet but it will be very brief . Should I bother to have a second opinion
4. The car is now miles away from home so I can't tow it to a local Garage.

I fear we may start to look for a replacement car. I've never had a car give up on me before. What do I do with the Micra?

Sorry to read the news. Very annoying indeed I imagine. My gut feeling is that the car is now scrap. Even with a reconditioned engine the car showing 140k will be worth not very much.

As for the Micra. Can a local scrap yard buy it off your for a few hundred pounds?

Next car? If you want something made in this country, how about the Honda Civic? the diesel engine offers a great performance-economy balance. Or for something smaller and more economical; Audi A2?

She'll be driving the SL tomorrow!! :))

Funny thing is I almost offered her the SL just to give it a long run as it has been a town car over the last couple of weeks but she left whilst I still had my eyes shut. We've grown accustomed to having the Micra as a run around.

Not likely to go for the new Micra as its still too new. I like the A2 but for the money I'll be looking to spend their clocks have almost gone round one and a half times.

Just got a quote for £850 for a 2/hand engine from a 2006 car at 39000 miles. He swears the mileage is genuine as they took it out but there's no way I can confirm that. He wants £300 for fitting the engine and he waived the £100 "service parts" after I almost swore at him.
I need to take a long hard look as it may not be worth spending that money. Trouble is I need about £4000 to get a small diesel with low running costs and £35 Rfl.
Last time this happened to me someone wrote off my Citroen AX Gti run around so at least I had something back from the Insurers. No such luck this time.:(

She'll be driving the SL tomorrow!! :))

I drove my SLK into work one day and my boss said he was paying me too much...a couple of weeks later.. my annual review.. and yup you guessed it.. no pay review.

I drove my SLK into work one day and my boss said he was paying me too much...a couple of weeks later.. my annual review.. and yup you guessed it.. no pay review.

Your boss is a c0ck.

My Boss likes mine. He retires in a few years and wants one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom