Micro bubbles on boot lid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milligp

Car
c220 cdi 2011
Hi - I just gave my new 2011 c220 cdi red saloon a wash and noticed hundreds of small bubbles in the paintwork - is this common and can I take it to merc as car is only 4.5 years old? - I bought the car second hand from a dealer - bubbles are all over the boot lid

ive heard of another member on here who has had the same issue with his Red c220

milligp said:
Hi - I just gave my new 2011 c220 cdi red saloon a wash and noticed hundreds of small bubbles in the paintwork - is this common and can I take it to merc as car is only 4.5 years old? - I bought the car second hand from a dealer - bubbles are all over the boot lid

It's a known issue.
Something to do with red paint.
Take it back to main dealer for assessment.

If there are microblisters on just one panel it may well have had that panel painted at some point. No doubt the dealer will tell you one way or another

Nick Froome

I saw bubbles, and thought "is it a red one!".

Welcome to the red merc club. They've all got paint problems, all my lacquer is falling off, you could peel it off like sunburn, and areas like the roof which aren't yet separating, are all pitted, with the same tiny bubbling you speak of.

Get it back to them and sorted. Mine's an 08 plate and it's made it pretty much valueless. Should be worth around 8k. Get it sorted before you get burned too, some here have, but they've been newer than mine, like yours. :)

It's not just Mercedes, a friend has a red Toyota Auris that she bought new 5 years ago - the lacquer is peeling all over the shop.

Returning to the OP - yes, return it to MB.

No doubt MB will say they have never heard of the problem but it's well documented on the forums. The red paint reacts with the primer coat and requires a back to metal respray. Many have been fixed by MB at their cost.

Russ

take it back, they should cover it, they will check if its been painted before fmbsh etc etc..

Thanks - I'll try on Monday and say what my nearest dealer says

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom