Micro Systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am looking to buy a new micro system for the bedroom, I was going to buy a Bose sound dock, but have been thinking of micro systems more recently as they are more versatile.

Does anyone have any experience of Onkyo?

I have seen the following system at Richer Sounds,

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=ONKY-CS325-BLK

I am not in a hurry to buy something, am looking for suggestions and advice.

Many thanks

Tan

Bose Are very good quality for the size.

Listen to them if you can see if you like the sound. If its for a bedroom I doubt you want thumping bass and high volume? so most will be fine.

I use one with my ipod and its great. There are so many about it depends what you like I guess.

We also have a oregon Science one the iBall and you dock the pod to a docking station and you can walk round with the wireless ball (speaker), you can also change the volume / track from the walk about speaker.

Thats also great and a lot cheaper.

Onkyo are good quality, well respected & good sound. Similar to Teac

BOSE is a brand name that is minting it.... you are paying more for the name than the product.

ONKYO has been making a good name for itself in the AV world... You can check AVFORUMS on google...

I have a PIONEER Micro system and it does what a micro system is supposed to do.... my hearing is well tuned not fine tuned...

Hi

I am looking to buy a new micro system for the bedroom, I was going to buy a Bose sound dock, but have been thinking of micro systems more recently as they are more versatile.

Does anyone have any experience of Onkyo?

I'm not a huge Bose fan. In my book they are the Bang&Olafsen of audio. Clever exteriors, OK componentry.

Richer Sounds make their money through volume. You pay for more engineering and less advertisng with their stuff.

I very nearly bought one of their Onkyo micro systems for the bedroom. (I just couldn't resist getting the equivalent Denon for a tenner more - not rational really as I don't think it sound any better). I paired mine with Mordaunt Short speakers - sub hidden away and wall mounted satellites. Sounds great. Or you could just but a pair of £80 bookshelf speakers and it would sound great. Or just use what they provide.

I personally prefer a micro system as you can plug in an MP3 player but also use CD's. FM Tuner or DAB tuner.

For me a micro system is verstile and sounds good at all volumes unless you really crank it up - but at that point you'd have detonated one of those iPod docking devices anyway.

I have had another thought this evening, rather than buy a micro system is to buy a flat panel TV and use the freeview for the radio and an ipod dock / DVD player for other music.

Is this a daft idea? I know that the music quality wont be great, but I have a full seperates system downstairs for listening to music properly.

I have had another thought this evening, rather than buy a micro system is to buy a flat panel TV and use the freeview for the radio and an ipod dock / DVD player for other music.

Is this a daft idea? I know that the music quality wont be great, but I have a full seperates system downstairs for listening to music properly.

Not daft, but less environmental in terms of energy useage as you cannot listen to radio with out having the screen on

PS. I have Bose too...and although I think the sound is good, the design is a bit passe, and they charge too much compared with what else is now on the market.

A mon avis seulment!

Also, once BOSE have your home address you will be forever getting junk mail.
I enquired about 7-8 years ago about prices and they got my name and address from me.
I am still getting regular junk mail from them - last one was about a week ago.
So bear that in mind.

If I was buying micro system it would either be a SONY, DENON or TECHNICS.

So they're the sort of Reader's Digest of consumer electronics, then? :D

So it seems. I phoned then up about 8 years ago to enquire about the price of their all-in-one "Wave" system. They wouldnt give me a price over the phone despite everything. They dont give prices over the phone I was told. Many times. In the end I relented and they wrote to me and THAT was the beginning of an avalanche of junk over the next 7-8 years.
When I found out the price - I was no longer interested. It was ridiculous. Some thing like £600-700 even then. A normal good quality micro system with a good name was about half.
Now I wouldnt buy ANYTHING by BOSE purely on principle.
I think the price of a "Wave" CD/radio combo unit is now about £750. Utterly ridiculous if true.

Last edited:
Do they ever send a reply-paid envelope in their mailings? If so, stuff it with what they've sent you plus a load of other junk mail and send it to them. It's a technique I've used in the past to good effect in similar circumstances. It's strangely satisfying dropping it in the post knowing that they'll be paying to receive it :D

Do they ever send a reply-paid envelope in their mailings? If so, stuff it with what they've sent you plus a load of other junk mail and send it to them. It's a technique I've used in the past to good effect in similar circumstances. It's strangely satisfying dropping it in the post knowing that they'll be paying to receive it :D

I'd go one further. If it's a Freepost address, send them a Thermalite block :devil:

I am living in the continual (foolish?) hope that the mail drops will one day cease. Any further contact - even a RTS could re-ignite their contact timescale and start them off all anew. A scenario I couldnt bear.
However, the thought of sending them everything back does appeal.
I havent looked at anything from them for years, it goes straight into the paper/card reycling box unopened.

However, the thought of sending them everything back does appeal.
I havent looked at anything from them for years, it goes straight into the paper/card reycling box unopened.

With your details over them, making you more @ risk for ID theft. All this junk mail that floats about these days unshredded just heightens this risk. I'd drop them a letter asking for them to stop communication with you.

Yes I probably will now. You would have thought that they would have given up after 7/8 years.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Get back to the OP's question..................

I noticed Makro were running a special on a Sony micro system with iPOD dock - £100+VAT IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom