Microchip cat flap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Guys-Has anyone got any experience of these microchip controlled catflaps? I'm about to have a new pane of glass in my kitchen door to accomodate a cat flap. Neighbour has an un-neutered male cat who is horrible, aggressive and sprays everywhere (need a bb gun!) I have seen these microchip controlled catflaps and think they are a great idea for when I get my new cat. The old one (god rest his little sole, RIP Charlie :)) was forever losing collars so this maybe the solution. I have read about 'Petporte' and 'Sureflap' and the Sureflap ones seem the better. Any thoughts/recommendations guys?

If it's like the one I had then yes, they're good and sturdy. Strays can't barge their way in like they can with those magnetic ones.

Mine was about £130 iirc and I fitted it myself in a wooden door. Well worth it. No more cat wee in my utility room!

My eldest daughter has one of these in her house and works well.
Not cheap, but it stops other cats coming in and scoffing the food.
They had a cheaper one before which didn't stop strays coming in - so I guess the moral is - you get what you pay for.

Never heard of it ... sounds brilliant ... magetic ones were rubbish (IMHO) ... my cats couldn't get in 1/2 the time!!! are pretty stupid cats though! :D

Yep also got one.... Excellent and as others have said... Keeps unwanted cats out... Well worth the money... Paid £75 for ours...

Well guys and gals-Seems like Sureflap is the one to go for. Next question: Can it be mounted through a 28mm double glazed unit?

Following this thread with interest... though we have a glass door and bars, so will have to figure something out.

The one we have could have been fitted in anything and you had additional tunnels if the door/wall etc was thicker. I do seem to remember glass was not an issue.... I'm going up into the village later so will check in the pet shop for you...

I've got a PetPorte one and its excellent, I'd recommend it. Their facebook page frequently has offers on it.

I had the infrared type before which required a massive transmitter on their collar and which they kept loosing. I was always worried they wouldn't be able to get in whilst I was out/away. The microchip type is so much better.

Mine cost me about £500 in the end. £130 for the Catflap and then when I went to fit it the existing hole was way too big. I couldn't just change a panel like UPVC doors so ended up buying a new back door just to fit the car flap.

Worth it though! :)

We have the petporte one. I have mixed opinions - in our previous house we had a nuisance cat that worked out how to pull it open from the outside with its claws! Also it frequently battered its way through! I have had to dismantle and fix it countless times, the solenoid activated catches are very flimsy and only have tiny springs which can become dislodged easily.

Since moving house all the problems have disappeared! Although there are a lot of nuisance cats around, I guess none of them have been as crafty as the little bugger at our old place. Maybe just a matter of time until one of them is persistent enough.

Don't get me wrong they are much much better than the magnetic ones (we went through several of those with the crafty bugger!). But they could do with a significant redesign to make them more robust.

Do you have the older or newer style PetPorte one? I've found the newer one much improved (they swapped mine under warranty when it went wrong). The newer one does feel far more sturdy.

Reflex,

I popped into my pet shop where I got ours from and you can get an adapter for glass fitment... So here's the info....
Sureflap.co.uk the flap is £74.99 where I live
Glass adapter is £9.99
The company is Petcare Inovation

Hope this helps...

Cheers Greg

Reflex,

I popped into my pet shop where I got ours from and you can get an adapter for glass fitment... So here's the info....
Sureflap.co.uk the flap is £74.99 where I live
Glass adapter is £9.99
The company is Petcare Inovation

Hope this helps...

Cheers Greg

Many thanks Greg
Think I will go for the Sureflap one. I appreciate your help and taking the time to pop into your pet shop. Enjoy the rest of your weekend
Jim

"Can it be installed in a double glazed unit" ? ? ? ......................................

Answer.................

Yes.
My daughter has hers installed in the fixed side of a pair of double glazed patio doors.

Its not a DIY proposition fitting it though. You need to contact a proper glazing company to fit it. Its not cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom