Microfibre cloth leaves greasy finish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amy

Car
SLK 250 AMG
I have a bag of microfibre cloths which i use only once and then wash in the machine with ALDI liquid, just as I would with clothes.
With clean dry cloths I cannot get a clean finish, especially on glass, it always looks and feels greasy
Im wondering if it is the fabric conditioner in the washing liquid
How do you wash your valeting cloths?

It could be the fabric conditioner , I don't use any when I wash mine

Yes I’m sure that’s what it is. I used to get that smeary issue as well, but now wash in nikwax tech wash and do an extra rinse. Probably overkill for cloths but it’s what I use for all my outdoor gear so always have some to hand.

I just use a washing liquid without conditioner , no particular brand , whatever's on offer :)

You can just get cheap liquid soap or soap flakes. I think that’s all tech wash is really.

It will be the fabric conditioner.

Use any automatic detergent that isn't an "all-in-one" product, and also run an extra rinse to get all the detergent out of the cloths.

You can just get cheap liquid soap or soap flakes. I think that’s all tech wash is really.
Be careful - you need a low foaming product for use in an automatic washing machine, unless you want to have suds fill the machine and spill out all over the floor :eek:

As the clothes are so cheap I tend to use them once if they get dirty, eg cleaning wheels.

A hand wash then repurposed for general domestic duties

Be careful - you need a low foaming product for use in an automatic washing machine, unless you want to have suds fill the machine and spill out all over the floor :eek:

is this speaking from experience ??? :D

Yes it’s a good point made by Phil! Our machine doesn’t spill anywhere but it has a suds warning. We’ve got a water softener so only use a really small amount of detergent anyway. The pure soap stuff does seem to foam more.

Indirectly.

When I lived in Uni halls of residence many years ago, one of the fellow residents decided that to “help” clean his oily overalls, he’d add some washing-up liquid to the detergent. The resulting sea of foam ended up around 18 inches deep... ;)

All M/F clothes and drying towels should only be washed with a non bio detergent at around 30/40 Deg's or with a dedicated M/F wash.

To keep the cloths nice and soft, add 1 capful of white vinegar to the fabric softener compartment as this leaves no residue on the cloths as Fabric softener will reduce the absorbency of the cloths and weaken the performance.

as for glass, waffle weave towels are great as they have no pile and leave far less streaking.

hope that helps you

I wouldn’t say it’s the cloths leaving a greasy finish, but you are cleaning them wrong that’s for sure as Lee mentioned

Alto liquid at B&M’s is non bio and great for washing them. I hand wash mine in this and then hang dry. Before use I’ll fluff them up for 5 mins in the tumble dryer. Strictly 5 mins or less as heat destroys the fibres

Use a dedicated glass cleaner, I did like the waffle towels but found that they grabbed too much, so I now use a short pile microfibre

someone else will be along shortly to say it’s all codswallop and that he uses old bath towels because that works for him although refuses to use anything else :devil:

Sorry dude, I mean Diamond weave towels with Anglewax glass cleaner, it doesn't flash off too fast, so it gives you plenty of working time, smear free every time..

Use really cheap ones for applying your polish and throw them away once done, i ruined all my microfibres not doing this. I wash all the rest and havent had an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom