Microsoft confirm Hotmail accounts hacked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Dent Guy

Car
C220 CDi SportCoupe SE, Evolution, Panoramic, 2004 facelift, AMG Kit, Superchips Re-Map
As the title says..... and mine is one of them - my account starts with a 'P' so the 10000+ accounts starting A or B which had their user and passwords published on line is only the tip of the iceberg!!

BBC NEWS | Technology | Thousands of Hotmail users hacked

Apparently the 'hacked' accounts belonged to users that had fallen foul of phishing attacks. The details were then published.

None of my hotmail accounts appear to have been compromised although I'll be changing passwords as a matter of course.

deleted........answered own question......sorry,

Last edited:
Can you explain 'phishing', what would actually happen to/on my computer ?

Can you explain 'phishing', what would actually happen to/on my computer ?

Best example might be an email which appears to be from a bank (or ebay) stating that unless you click on the link and update your personal details then your bank account will be stopped.

The bank hasn't sent it - a scamster has - and they're hoping that some of the people who receive the email have an account with that bank, panic and click on the link.

Like the email, the website would look like the real banks website and would ask for login details, post code, date of birth, mother's maiden name, etc.

The scamster then has innocent recipient's most sensitive details to misuse.

"Phishing involves using fake websites to lure people into revealing details such as bank accounts or login names........ Hotmail users should change their password as soon as possible...... also recommend that people change the password on any other site where they use it...... Around 40% of people use the same password for every website they use....."

Im furious with myself for being caught out - i thought i was extremely careful. I must have been emailed something which probably attracted my attention which was obviously spam and probably had to create a user account with an email and password to use the site. Fortunately for me, i used my hotmail address which is not linked to my business. However, a lot of my address book contacts were copied to my hotmail and the hacker emailed several of them in the early hours of yesterday morning. My father alerted me to the problem as he was one of them - although initially he thought it was genuinely from me but, found it odd to recieve an email from me just containing spurious adverts which was sent at stupid o'clock.

Again, fortunately for me, my login details weren't changed so at least i could get into my account to see what had happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom