Microsoft Office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
Hi all, I recently changed my hard disc for an ssd, cloned the new disc but apparently MS office treats this as a new computer and will not let me write anything. I think it is about time I updated my MS Office, I think mine is 2013 and I cannot find the disc or product key. Microsoft say the have no record, but it is old :D Now the question. If I install a new version on my Mac, will I still be able to use or access what is on my Mac already or will I loose it all?

The new version of Ms-Office will update the Ms-Office application only.

All your own files e.g. Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, etc, will remain intact.

Also any other software applications that you currently have installed will continue to work as normal.

Thanks for that, but I notice now that MS Office is a pay monthly whereas my old system was a one off purchase, anyway round that even with an alternative product

Office 2013 is not far off not being supported anyway (couple of years left).

You can still buy the one-off installation which lasts for 10 years (i.e. until it is no longer supported but you can carry on using it but it does become a security risk the older it gets as Microsoft don't release security updates for it).

This is what you need although I've seen Groupon doing a deal on it but the reviews suggest it's perhaps wise to stick to a legit retailer (I don't even trust the retailer that sounds a bit like Amazulu either due to their marketplace and numerous bent copies):

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019 (1 Mac)

It will only install the Office software on to your Mac.

It will not remove anything (except old versions of Office if they are on there) but certainly not data / documents etc. from a legit source.

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019 does not include Ms-Outlook, but this might not be important for you, e.h. if you are using Apple Mail as your email client anyway.

Thanks all, it may be I am using a sledge hammer to crack a nut :D I use excel a dozen or so times a year and word a bit more often but not like I did when I was working, retirement does have it's down sides :D

If you wanted to keep office 2013 there are ways of retrieving the product key as they are usually stored in the registry. Software is available for this very purpose and some of it will be free. e.g. MyKeyFinder - Abelssoft.net

If you wanted to keep office 2013 there are ways of retrieving the product key as they are usually stored in the registry. Software is available for this very purpose and some of it will be free. e.g. MyKeyFinder - Abelssoft.net

I think the OP has MacOS.

We have given up with all our old Office Licenses.

Now we just pay the subscription and use the Office stuff along with Onedrive.
Never ever been a fan of perpetual subscriptions but have to say it is proving value for money.

In that case, as said, LibreOffice would be the best answer as Calc is basically Excel and can handle Excel files.

OpenOffice stopped being developed a long long time ago so not sure about the security of that but it would do the job.

This graphic shows the situation regarding these open source Office products and respective development (from Wikipedia):

1920px-StarOffice_major_derivatives.svg.png

There are several free versions/alternatives to Word that you can use on Mac OS to read existing Word docs without losing much if anything in the way of formatting.

Most people who use MS Word only use a tiny fraction of its capabilities so there’s no point in paying for the all singing all dancing version. iOS Pages is probably fine for most people, but I still get frustrated by some of its limitations after 30 odd years of Word.

As a recent convert to Mac, I’ve even found Numbers a reasonable Excel alternative. The only really annoying thing I’ve found with it so far is not being able to reference other workbooks. Importing Excel spreadsheets to Numbers tends to mess up charts to some extent, but easily rectified.

Reactions: 190
I used this lot for a ms office 2019 download last year. It took a bit of work and assistance from them (easy to obtain, they were very helpful) but for £20 it's been a godsend. Openoffice is fine but it often doesn't "quite" work. No idea what the offering for mac is but there seem to be some.

There are several free versions/alternatives to Word that you can use on Mac OS to read existing Word docs without losing much if anything in the way of formatting.

Most people who use MS Word only use a tiny fraction of its capabilities so there’s no point in paying for the all singing all dancing version. iOS Pages is probably fine for most people, but I still get frustrated by some of its limitations after 30 odd years of Word.

As a recent convert to Mac, I’ve even found Numbers a reasonable Excel alternative. The only really annoying thing I’ve found with it so far is not being able to reference other workbooks. Importing Excel spreadsheets to Numbers tends to mess up charts to some extent, but easily rectified.
I hate Mac Numbers - I just do not find it intuitive. I've been through them all. VisiCalc, Lotus 123, Quattro Pro, Excel.......etc. As I usd Excel the most, I prefer it and use LibreOffice (similar to Excel) on my windows machine in preference to Numbers on my MAC.

I use Libre as well on windows 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom