Microsoft Office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Downloaded LibreOffice, perfect for what I want.

It was only that I had been using MS Office for so many years, really didn't want to change.

This is very on topic as I have been restoring a few old laptops that I have set aside to be thrown away previous to Covid 19.

Having re-installed the original Windows 7 from the factory recovery disk to get them activated automatically, I then set about to upgrade them to Windows 10. Surprising Windows 10 ran effectively (feels faster even than the original Windows 7).

Out of interest, I tried installing Office 2010 on them. Interesting that despite Office 2010 being out of support, they installed fine on the laptops and spent several minutes updating the office suite with security patches and feature updates.

So now I have a couple of Lenovo x200 Windows 10 laptops as spare computers to help colleagues who have to work from home.

If you are determined enough it's possible to get win10 to run perfectly well on 2MB of ram. I have an old 14" laptop with soldered in memory and no scope for an upgrade. Using a 3rd party utility Windows 10 can be custom installed with some features removed to cut down on disc space and memory requirements. I also found it ran better than Windows 7. Replacing an old hard drive with an SSD makes a big difference too.

This is very on topic as I have been restoring a few old laptops that I have set aside to be thrown away previous to Covid 19.

Having re-installed the original Windows 7 from the factory recovery disk to get them activated automatically, I then set about to upgrade them to Windows 10. Surprising Windows 10 ran effectively (feels faster even than the original Windows 7).

Out of interest, I tried installing Office 2010 on them. Interesting that despite Office 2010 being out of support, they installed fine on the laptops and spent several minutes updating the office suite with security patches and feature updates.

So now I have a couple of Lenovo x200 Windows 10 laptops as spare computers to help colleagues who have to work from home.

Microsoft won't stop you installing older software.

It's just a risk because they no longer offer security fixes for it any more.

So a month after the support ended, it starts to become a liability and gets worse from there.

The fact you have updated it is the most you can do.

As long as you don't open anything dodgy in Office and leave Macros disabled, you should be OK.

That version of Office was from the old service pack days so I think you might need to download SP2 from MS and install that and then re-run the updates as you won't have the very last version otherwise.

Did you convert Windows Updates in Windows 7 to Microsoft Update and do it that way?

It may be SP2 came through that way but not sure they did (struggling to remember now).

I still think Libreoffice is worth having as well as that is up to date.

Microsoft won't stop you installing older software.

It's just a risk because they no longer offer security fixes for it any more.

So a month after the support ended, it starts to become a liability and gets worse from there.
Totally agreed, but we use MS Office mainly for home use and not to receive MS Office from outsiders, so the security risk in this context should be minimum.

That version of Office was from the old service pack days so I think you might need to download SP2 from MS and install that and then re-run the updates as you won't have the very last version otherwise.
Thanks for this info, will look into this as I just left the laptop connected to the internet to download the updates, which it did with over 20 to 30 office updates downloaded. Not sure I noticed SP2 being downloaded to be honest, so will double-check. If not, I am not sure where I will find SP2 for Office 2010?

Did you convert Windows Updates in Windows 7 to Microsoft Update and do it that way?
I am not sure what you mean by this? I installed Windows 7 using the factory recovery disks so that I have an activated Windows 7 on my laptop without having to enter the dreaded license key. Then I downloaded Windows 10 and installed it to wipe out everything over Windows 7 so that I ended up with an activated Windows 10 laptop without having to purchase a Windows 10 license key. Then installed Office 2010 using the original license key, used the telephone activation, and ran the updates.

Thanks for this info, will look into this as I just left the laptop connected to the internet to download the updates, which it did with over 20 to 30 office updates downloaded. Not sure I noticed SP2 being downloaded to be honest, so will double-check. If not, I am not sure where I will find SP2 for Office 2010?

I am not sure what you mean by this? I installed Windows 7 using the factory recovery disks so that I have an activated Windows 7 on my laptop without having to enter the dreaded license key. Then I downloaded Windows 10 and installed it to wipe out everything over Windows 7 so that I ended up with an activated Windows 10 laptop without having to purchase a Windows 10 license key. Then installed Office 2010 using the original license key, used the telephone activation, and ran the updates.

You can download it from Microsoft still:

Download Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 32-Bit Edition from Official Microsoft Download Center

Forget the Windows 7 thing. It doesn't apply to Windows 10 but back in the days of 7, by default it just updated Windows. You could set it to update all Microsoft products.

If you are determined enough it's possible to get win10 to run perfectly well on 2MB of ram. I have an old 14" laptop with soldered in memory and no scope for an upgrade. Using a 3rd party utility Windows 10 can be custom installed with some features removed to cut down on disc space and memory requirements. I also found it ran better than Windows 7. Replacing an old hard drive with an SSD makes a big difference too.
Any chance of the URL please?

Any chance of the URL please?
Hi Gollum, I can’t work out how to message you directly but one of your other posts mentioned CVM. I had a sneaky look today and most of the cars being serviced where mercs. I am definitely going to give them a try with my mot and atf change. When it comes to microsoft365 if you pm your email I have a spare slot for my family edition!

Hi Gollum, I can’t work out how to message you directly but one of your other posts mentioned CVM. I had a sneaky look today and most of the cars being serviced where mercs. I am definitely going to give them a try with my mot and atf change. When it comes to microsoft365 if you pm your email I have a spare slot for my family edition!
Hiya. As a new member you can't send until you have 30 posts (this is to prevent people abusing the forum and who just join to sell/buy stuff) It's a great place to be and MB related posts are always welcome - especially with pics! I have had 211's and IMHO one of the finest cars on the planet. Tell us about the car with a pic and ask away if you need any information. And feel free to add anything you have discovered, I've picked up a lot of information on here (and even gained a wife, but that's another story!)

Speak to Steve or Simon at CVM - good pair of guys (and they like cake!) Tell them Steve sent ya! Thanks for the 365 offer - message me the minute you get up to count and I'll reply straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom