Mid life crissis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve333

MB Enthusiast
Car
Cls350cdi in palladium,C200k in tenorite,Slk320 in red.
Got the sudden urge to part with my beloved w208 clk320 cab which i have had & enjoyed for the last year although if i'm honest i really wanted a v8 when i bought it .On that note i have started to really like the cls 500(388bhp v8)& have seen a 2008 model with all the toys for £24k(was £67k when new with this spec:eek:)Someone convince me i'm making the correct/wrong choice(any feedback from current/past cls500 owners appreciated:thumb:)

I have to say If you don't need 4 seats I would stick with a convertible and get an SL500 then :)

I like the CLS but if I didn't need the space I wouldn't have a big car like that.

Saying that I just miss my convertible cars now we have sensible ones :(

Need the 4 seats(as has my clk) grand children growing fast so bigger car makes sense-will miss the cabrio when the sun shines again though:(

I'd say go for the CLS, the V8 has got to be amazing. Alternatively what about a high spec W209 CLK500 - a V8 convertible has got to be even sweeter! :D

Looked at a v8 clk 500 convertible but like for like against a cls500 they are a lot more expensive:( & 4 doors will be better for getting the young uns in/out of the car;)

If your budget is around 25k are close to CLS55 territory............forget the CLS500.
Or CLK55 and you will have change as well

The CLS500 will be shedloads cheaper to run than the CLS55 although not as full on in terms of performance.

I can certainly vouch for the V8 appeal as I have an S500 in LWB spec.

At 24k for a 2yo car of that gravitas you can hardly go wrong unless it's knackered and you don't take the essential notice you should.

It's a no-brainer in my opinion - then again, people say I have no brain :)

PS: A proper mid-life crisis involves either a motorbike or a female.

Man up and just get on and buy the thing :D. You did not come on this forum for us to talk you out of it and tell you you buy a Passat did you now;)

The CLS500 will be shedloads cheaper to run than the CLS55 although not as full on in terms of performance.

I can certainly vouch for the V8 appeal as I have an S500 in LWB spec.

At 24k for a 2yo car of that gravitas you can hardly go wrong unless it's knackered and you don't take the essential notice you should.

It's a no-brainer in my opinion - then again, people say I have no brain :)

PS: A proper mid-life crisis involves either a motorbike or a female.
Fair comment,just needed a bit of convincing(not much though;))Ltd & E55,thanks for the feedback,theres not a lot performance wise between the cls55 & the cls500(5.5ltr 388bhp v8)i'm looking at but running costs are more for the cls55.

CLS500 2yr old for that cash, re-read LTDs post, you'll love it and fuel wise no dearer to fuel than your CLK and nicer handling, beautiful looks and comfort and you'll probably have one of the best cars £24k can buy.

Fuel consumption figures (mpg):

CLS500 (388) -- 16.6, 33.2, 24.4
CLS55 -- 14.1, 28.8, 21.0

Tell me about it!!! Having had both a CLK500 and now the 55 you PAY for the privelidge of owning any 55.....

Not really. They still both have 16 spark plugs! The only real difference are the discs and pads.

Not really. They still both have 16 spark plugs! The only real difference are the discs and pads.

So the plug change will be in the same ballpark.

Could you offer comparative prices for full disc/pad changes on all corners ? Just a rough will do.

Isn't servicing the AMGs more costly too ?

;)
CLS500 2yr old for that cash, re-read LTDs post, you'll love it and fuel wise no dearer to fuel than your CLK and nicer handling, beautiful looks and comfort and you'll probably have one of the best cars £24k can buy.
Thanks for your feedback Steve,re-read Ltd's post & understand what he means,the car is nearer 3 years old(20/12/2007)but still represents fantastic value for money as you say,it's 1 owner,19,800 miles hpi clear & full mb service history

I thought the new (2006) 388 hp 5.5 litre V8 was only 1 spark plug per cylinder as it has 4 valves instead of 3 (on the old 306hp twin spark old V8)

What about fuel, a CLS has to be agood 10-20% better on fuel in 500 spec than 55amg + cheaper to insure.
24 mpg overall for the 5.5ltr cls 500,currently 26mpg from my v6 clk320,insurance wise it will cost me £40 a year more to insur like for like :eek:but the tax will be £435:mad:

So the plug change will be in the same ballpark.

Could you offer comparative prices for full disc/pad changes on all corners ? Just a rough will do.

Isn't servicing the AMGs more costly too ?

Nope. Mobil one (AMG) is about a tenner/L and a 5w30 (non AMG) is £8/L. The air filters are only slightly more expensive too!

Discs on the 500 (from memory) are £63.45 each

Discs on the 55 (from memory) are £150 ish

For the extra power and fun I would have the 55k everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom