MiDAS - Minibus Driver Awareness training (I surprised myself)

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by lisa110rry, Mar 22, 2018.

1. lisa110rry

lisa110rry Active Member

Car:
    1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
    I did something interesting today. I had MiDAS training to drive a minibus for our Community Gateway Minibus as a community volunteer. I thought I would struggle, but in fact in some ways I was better than the two men who were training. Both of them felt the brakes were "spongy" and the clutch was difficult (one ran a red light because he felt he wouldn't stop in time!!!!). I found them fine because until recently I was driving a 16-year-old Honda CR-V. No problem with the brakes and clutch. I did have to straighten up a couple of times doing the "reversing around a corner both ways" manoeuvres, but did not cut the corner and go on the pavement at all. No problem with the "tyre and tarmac" bit (that's leaving enough room in front to allow manoeuvring around a car in front which has broken down).

Hopefully, I'll be able to give back to my local-ish community in future as a volunteer minibus driver.

2. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    Selfless act...

God willing, I can see myself doing this some day too. I think I would rather enjoy it.

Pontoneer likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    lisa110rry

lisa110rry Active Member

Car:
    Looking forward to it! I've asked to start out on small trips in daylight and work up.

edit: My main problem is I'm two feet off the ground when getting out of the driver's seat! I need a step like there is on the passenger door!

Merkaholic likes this.
  4. Merkaholic

Merkaholic Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes CLS 320cdi
    Good luck. Very admirable thing to do.

5. Milton7

Milton7 Active Member

Car:
    CLK320
    You’ll have a great time mixing with with lovely people. I’ve been driving a minibus for our local community transport section down here in Surrey for nearly four years and have found it very rewarding. Some of the characters on the bus live alone and have wonderful stories and like to talk ; such as Eric who was on the Normandy beaches D+1 and Eileen who was an army sergeant in charge of a AA battery defending London during the blitz.
    After working full time I found retirement especially in the winter months a little underwhelming and doing this keeps me balanced and active.
    Good luck!

lisa110rry and John like this.
  6. tanuie

tanuie MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E Class AMG 3.5 Coupe
    Well done Lisa.

7. OP
    OP
    lisa110rry

lisa110rry Active Member

Car:
    Thank you Milton and thank you tanuie. I am looking forward to it. Just in the middle of the DBS check. I've had so many of these and always pass them (of course). But I always struggle with the address check. I've been married for 40 years and lived in the same house for 31, so all accounts are in my husband's name, we have no mortgage and no loans and utilities are in my husband's name. The DBS check needs to accept insurance renewals as address proof, but they only come around yearly.