Middle Lane Hoggers E-petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great idea Fine centre lane blockers..........
My other pet hate on dual carriageways and Motorways..
Lories that pull out to overtake and eventually failing but pull back in having blocked the carriageway for often 5 minutes at a time

I have seen a couple of A roads now where trucks are banned from lane 2 (on 2 lane routes) between the hours of 7am and 7pm to stop exactly this happening.

I have seen a couple of A roads now where trucks are banned from lane 2 (on 2 lane routes) between the hours of 7am and 7pm to stop exactly this happening.
This is reasonably common on continental motorways (often controlled by overhead gantry signs that can be changed).

On the subject of caravans, middle lane hoggers are a real pain because the outside lane can be completely clear ... but you are not allowed to use it when towing. Of course MLHs don't know this, so if they do happen to spot you behind them they don't see why they should pull across when 'all you have to do is overtake' :rolleyes:

So where would the line be drawn in moving back to lane two? For instance...suppose you undertake a hogger and continue in lane 1 for (say) two minutes but your forward progress was then blocked by a lorry and you moved out to lane 2. Could that be construed as an 'act'?

Yes that is a perfect example of the act of undertaking, doesn't matter if it is 20 miles down the road and your progress in lane one is blocked the minute you move back into lane 2 you are classed as having undertaken the original vehicle.

Was talking to my next door neighbour today who is a traffic cop, he confirmed you will be reported for the act of undertaking and now the problem has become so serious they don't even give you the fixed penalty it's straight to court. On two occasions over the last few months the drivers were instantly banned for their actions one for 6 weeks the other for 6 months.

So think on before you do that rash move

Then we spoke about middle lane hoggers, it is enforced around here under section 3 rta with a fixed penalty 3 points and £60 unless the driving is so poor and then it's straight to court.

In principal there's nothing wrong with undertaking as long as people are prepared for it works well enough in other countries :thumb:

Can someone explain why passing on the left seems to be almost a capital offence?

I've driven in countries where it's the norm and the world didn't end, neither is there continuous carnage on the roads. In fact it seems to make good sense.

Both are illegal and prosecuted under the same section of the road traffic act, so does that make them as equally bad as each other :dk:

The former as the latter would not exist if the lane was free.

Have to disagree with you both. Whereas central lane hogging is selfish the latter aggressive tailgating us dangerous and potentially life threatening.

IMHO of course.

Can someone explain why passing on the left seems to be almost a capital offence?

Because they're the rules and if we didn't have rules, where would we be? France!

I know what your saying though, I see the problem as being the lane-hogger and not the person undertaking.

In principal there's nothing wrong with undertaking as long as people are prepared for it works well enough in other countries :thumb:
I completely agree, and it rather makes a nonsense of...
Was talking to my next door neighbour today who is a traffic cop, he confirmed you will be reported for the act of undertaking and now the problem has become so serious they don't even give you the fixed penalty it's straight to court. On two occasions over the last few months the drivers were instantly banned for their actions one for 6 weeks the other for 6 months.
Somewhere along the line common sense is going to have to prevail. Our road network is close to maximum capacity in many parts yet the CLOG through their incompetance reduce the capacity still further and the Police initiate prosecutions against people who makes an overtake on the inside in a way that's considered perfectly safe in many other countries. What a crock of sh1t :mad:

If I am in the inside line and approaching a middle lane hogger I move behind then at a safe distance then out ot the outside lane then backacorss ot hte inside lane. Occassioanlly the middle lane moves across to the middle lane but more often than not they stay where they are.

Yes that is a perfect example of the act of undertaking, doesn't matter if it is 20 miles down the road and your progress in lane one is blocked the minute you move back into lane 2 you are classed as having undertaken the original vehicle.

Sorry flanaia1, but that's just ridiculous. There has to be a sensible limit to the duration of a single manoeuvre, and 20 mile (or even 5) is way beyond that limit.

Also, what if the car you'd passed has since passed you again before you pull into lane 2? Does that cancel out your undertake? Or what if you pull into a motorway service area - are you not allowed to leave lane 1 when you rejoin the carriageway?

A little common sense, please.

If as was suggested people are "scared" of the left lane and or outside lane, do they come down the slip road do not consider anyone else and drive straight to the middle lane then cut someone else up when they nearly miss their exit :-(

I never undertake - but I honestly can't get angry about those who do. Unless they are swerving very recklessly, the illegal manoeuvre rarely causes any harm to anyone else (as I have seen it!).
I guess it is just a provocative manoeuvre that gets up drivers' noses because the culprit is getting ahead of them - and hey, that's UNFAIR!!.
Quite honestly, on today's overcrowded motorways overtaking on either side would surely make better use of lanes, just so long as everyone is alert and knows what's happening.
While it is illegal, my view is let 'em get on with it, they are breaking the law and will probably get their comeuppance sooner or later. Why get stressed, it's not your problem :dk: :doh:

Sorry flanaia1, but that's just ridiculous. There has to be a sensible limit to the duration of a single manoeuvre, and 20 mile (or even 5) is way beyond that limit.

Also, what if the car you'd passed has since passed you again before you pull into lane 2? Does that cancel out your undertake? Or what if you pull into a motorway service area - are you not allowed to leave lane 1 when you rejoin the carriageway?

A little common sense, please.

I'm just pointing out that there is no limit to the duration of a single manoeuvre so you would hope the traffic cops use some common sense

The reason undertaking is prosecuted so vigorously is accidents occur when the car in lane 2 suddenly realizes he has a car on his left tries to move back into lane one or swerves into lane 3 and causes a collision this happens time after time according to the cops.

I agree common sense should prevail but undertaking in the UK is classed as careless or reckless driving so just don't do it, it's easy :thumb:

I'm just pointing out that there is no limit to the duration of a single manoeuvre so you would hope the traffic cops use some common sense

The reason undertaking is prosecuted so vigorously is accidents occur when the car in lane 2 suddenly realizes he has a car on his left tries to move back into lane one or swerves into lane 3 and causes a collision this happens time after time according to the cops.

I agree common sense should prevail but undertaking in the UK is classed as careless or reckless driving so just don't do it, it's easy :thumb:

Fair comment but imho cars changing lane without indication are at greater risk of causing accidents than those that undertake & are my personal pet hate.

My Distronic is a laugh when you move from the middle lane to the inside lane as you approach your exit junction.

If the inside lane is clear and the Distronic has been set to a speed greater than the middle lane you are travelling in, you make a correct lane change from two to one, the radar has no obstruction to detect and whaayhaaay, you're off up the inside, faster than the vicar up the nun's habit.........

Seconds of deadly fun :eek:.

Safety devices eh?

If the CLOGer is paying attention and using proper observation, the situation where he "suddenly realizes he has a car on his left" should never occur.

Of course, if the law were changed to allow overtaking on either side then the sight of a car on the left should be expected.

Echoing steve333's comment, if a driver sees a car on his left and thus decides to move into that lane, I know who needs prosecuting. Same applies if he swerves into lane 3 for no good reason.

I often undertake these days, always with a great deal of care, and have never come to grief. Yet...

Echoing steve333's comment, if a driver sees a car on his left and thus decides to move into that lane, I know who needs prosecuting. Same applies if he swerves into lane 3 for no good reason.

I often undertake these days, always with a great deal of care, and have never come to grief. Yet...

It's virtually impossible not to on the four lane section of the M25 especially if you take the trouble to use the inner lane, overtake and then return at a lawful speed, there always being numerous hoggers in the third and fourth lane going more slowly. I find going in the inner lane at 70 mph often affords me far better progress than the 90 - 55mph stop start outer lane.

The reason undertaking is prosecuted so vigorously is accidents occur when the car in lane 2 suddenly realizes he has a car on his left tries to move back into lane one or swerves into lane 3 and causes a collision this happens time after time according to the cops.:thumb:

I agree with Stratman and Mocas - the drivers reactions you describe are utterly illogical.
More likely that the miffed lanehogger deliberately moves to the left in a blocking manoeuvre. But no, surely no-one would be daft enough to do that, would they?

I agree with Stratman and Mocas - the drivers reactions you describe are utterly illogical.
More likely that the miffed lanehogger deliberately moves to the left in a blocking manoeuvre. But no, surely no-one would be daft enough to do that, would they?

Illogical yes but it's the panic of the inexperienced driver, yes they would be daft enough my neighbour picks up the pieces on a daily basis, so next time you undertake beware it's your life you are playing with + that of the other innocent people around you.

As for never coming to grief yet there's always a first time :eek: and it's others who will have to pickup your pieces :doh:

I have to admit to some use of horn and flashing then. Also not correct i know.

As arrestable as Dogging, I would think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom