MIG Welder decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MountainRescue

Car
300 TD (1993), VW T25 (1987)
The time has come to buy a new MIG welder.
After discovering that the progressively worsening knocking coming from the rear of my 300 td was not just a worn subframe bush but in actual fact the rear section that the bush is bolted to has come adrift!
After much head scratching I decided that the best course of action, financially, is to invest in a new MIG and tackle the job in hand myself rather than paying someone else to do the job.

I am looking for a reasonable but cheap MIG to do the job and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations based on experience. I am looking at around the £180 mark and am thinking of a gas MIG or a combi (gas / no gas)

There seem to be quite a few models around for that price range. I did have a Sealy mig mate but threw it out a couple of years ago because it finally packed up and always seemed to have endless problems with wire feed and rarely gave a good weld.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't bother with a gasless MIG, just purchase the best you can afford. When looking at MIG's, looking at the maximum amp's is only half the story, look at the "DUTY CYCLE" ie a 200 amp set may only have a duty cycle of 25% at full current. Although you probably wont be using it at maximum amp's, the larger the maximum current, the higher the duty cycle will be at the sort of current you will be using.
A MIG with invertor technology will be lighter and draw less current from your household supply but will be dearer, if you get a standard "transformer" MIG, it needs to be fan cooled.
Personly, I wouldn't buy anything from Machine Mart, B&Q etc but then again I use them professionally, hth.

I bought a Clarke 160EN which is a gas/no gas model with max 150A output , which according to specs was the maximum I could run from a normal 13A socket . I did subsequently run a 6mm armoured cable out to my shed and put in 16A sockets for this and my compressor , just for safety .

I went for a gasless one as I have to weld outside on my driveway and everything I read stated that gas just blows away under these conditions . The welder can still be converted to use gas if required .

I don't use it anywhere near maximum output , as above I was aware of the duty cycle implications , but for the small jobs I have done it is more than up to it .

I have had no problems with the unit and , although used only occasionally , I can now do reasonable welds . I did buy the unit from Machine Mart , on one of their promotional weekends when no VAT was being charged and , from memory the unit was around £200 after discounts .

Last edited:
Get a gas one, a full size regulator and annoy your local fire extinguisher guy for an old CO2 extinguisher, screw it on to the regulator (same fittings) cable tie the handles together and go. Stuff paying for those diddy bottles from Halfords at over a tenner a go. I sold my MIG last year, and have regretted it ever since- it was a SIP 180- the big one.. It kept a lot of old Fiats on the road over the years and was faultless.

Have a look on this MIG Welding - The DIY Guide forum for comments on MIGs.

I got rid of my oxy-acetylene outfit some time ago and bought a Clarke 160 for odd fabrication jobs.
Clarke MIG160TM (Turbo) MIG Welder - Machine Mart
It's the smallest of the Clarke range intended for use with full sized gas cylinders which are far more cost effective if you use the machine much at all. It has a reasonable wire feed mechanism, a decent enough range of power outputs and is good enough for my backyard-bodger skillset. Wait for one of Machine Mart's VAT free days to buy a Clarke set though.

Like everything else, you tend to get what you pay for and you might find it worthwhile to up your budget a bit to get something a bit better than the sub £200 machines - or track down a 2nd hand 'proper' MIG on eBay.

Get a gas one, a full size regulator and annoy your local fire extinguisher guy for an old CO2 extinguisher, screw it on to the regulator (same fittings) cable tie the handles together and go. Stuff paying for those diddy bottles from Halfords at over a tenner a go. I sold my MIG last year, and have regretted it ever since- it was a SIP 180- the big one.. It kept a lot of old Fiats on the road over the years and was faultless.

I think that gas has to be the way to go (even if most of my welding will be outside) I'll just have to do my best to shelter it the bast I can.

Interesting about the fire extinguisher I never really thought about that, I was thinking of trying to get my hands on an old pub gas bottle but the fire extinguisher route may be more practical.

I bought a Clarke 130EN Mig Welder from Machine Mart, at 12month 3 days I noticed the gas valve wasnt shutting off properly. I contacted Machine Mart but they didnt want to know, I wrote to their head office but still got nowhere. I doubt it was used 20 times at most for a bit of repair work on an old Corsa. They also wanted £20 just to look at it. Anyway I took it to a local independant tool supplier who was really helpful. They fixed it free of charge for me, what a result. In future I will avoid the likes of Machine Mart and use my local suppliers :thumb:

We use miller blue welders at work mig and tig can't fault them
I'm sure they are excellent but probably well over my budget, I am only really looking for a reasonable but cheap welder for a few DIY jobs, occasionally. Not to use everyday. I could stretch to about £250 but that really is my limit. Thinking of somethig like a sealey mighty mig 150 amp or similar.

Interesting about the fire extinguisher I never really thought about that, I was thinking of trying to get my hands on an old pub gas bottle but the fire extinguisher route may be more practical.

Your weld will be OKish with co2 but not great.

Thinking of somethig like a sealey mighty mig 150 amp or similar.

Duty cycle is quite poor, what would you be welding? Buy second hand, you'll get a better spec machine.

So , would there be any benefit for someone like myself , who has to weld outdoors , in getting the gas conversion kit for my welder .

I only weld two or three times a year , and after a fair amount of trial and error seem to have struck the balance between getting welds that do not break apart and burning holes in / setting fire to things :)

I know the flux cored wire does spit and spatter a bit at times , but would I just be wasting money on the gas kit if there's a bit of wind blowing when I'm trying to use it ?

Regarding the use of CO2 fire extinguisher cylinders!

Please check the test pressure of the cylinder and its test date then make sure you don't put too much liquid CO2 in from the donor cylinder.

I don't really advise it. There are a lot of old and dodgy cylinders out there

i got a Sealey SuperMig 150.
Use it on setting 2 for sheet metal to get full penetration, setting 1 is crap.

I paid £130 for it new off ebay and is running good to do welding on my car so something in the same range would be good for you.

Duty cycle at setting 2 is about 80% so u wont have to wait.

I just got an email to say that VAT free shopping starts today at Machine Mart .

Sometimes it is on over the weekend , other times just specific days .

Maybe save you £30 or £40 ?

I've got the welding bug ,Just bought a Sealey Supermig 150 Ebay £140 hardly used :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom