Mig welding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gio

Car
S211
I was working on my car earlier today ( rust beside exhaust) and I wondered if I needed to mig weld the car in the future would I have to disconnect both batteries and would disconnecting both batteries throw up error codes. I have a 2006 e220 cdi with sbc. I would be obliged if anyone with experience of mig welding these cars could advise.

Regrds

Would that be the negative on both batteries or just the main battery?

i've heard of wiring looms and accessories being burnt out by the use of inappropriate welding techniques

Remove both grounds, you cannot go wrong.

If both earths are removed will this throw up errors with the ecu?

I have done it several times without no problems apart from lost settings!

Although mercedes claim the car has been galvanised I have paint bubbles at the rear passenger arch and rust on the area around the rear exhaust bracket. Additionally I have had to remove the rear section of the exhaust to weld two exhaust hangers back on and treat the rust around the exhaust area. I find this surprising for a 2006 car, I would have expected rust in an older car or a car costing less than the 32000 mines cost new.
What setting would be lost by removing the negative terminals?

Any radio codes and settings, windows will need reseting, maybe the clock.

be just as easy to borrow or buy an anti spike tool just clamp it to main bat terminals it safely deals with any spike's that the welder may through the grounding of the welder.. this will save you having to reset anything... get them of ebay for about 20 quid.. hope that helps a little

Disconnecting stuff and surge/spike protectors aside the most important part that many people overlook is placement of the return clamp- clipping it to something convenient as opposed to close to the weld and on the same panel/part being welded is asking for trouble as is not cleaning the contact point for the return clamp back to clean metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom