might not be interior ... but here goes

Discussion in 'Interior' started by mercjim, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mercjim

mercjim Member

Car:
    C200 Elegance '95
    ok... this is the battery in the boot... spare wheel well....

[​IMG]

what measures can i take to remove this acid deposit without pouring water on it and have it swishing around my boot?

thx all

jim

2. Dec

Dec Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180,A.
    If it were mine I would clear everything out of the boot including disconnecting the battery, scrape to loosen every bit of the “acid” damage, vacuum everything and flush the affected area with a slow running hose, drying every afterwards. You will find rubber bungs to release the water out of all the compartments in every part of the boot at the lowest point. You could also consider painting the affected area.

Make sure you protect the fuses and anything else in the boot from the water.

Don’t close the boot lid until you reinstall the battery.

Dec
    Edit; There is a tube at the top left of your picture that looks to me to be unconnected to the battery, it should be inserted into a battery ventilation hole at the end of the battery for venting the battery fumes to outside the car.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  3. seymansey

seymansey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
    furthermore to that, it needs to be rust treated a couple of times otherwise you wont have a boot left :S

4. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    also, why is you battary letting out so much acid? has it been re-filled at some point a bit too much? hence overflowing?

5. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    I maybe wrong but that battery seems very small (physically I mean) as every battery I,ve seen in a 202 fills the tray completely.

6. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    an 065 battery would probably be ok for the C180 & C200 but not anything bigger...

7. OP
    OP
    mercjim

mercjim Member

Car:
    C200 Elegance '95
    thx all for the replies...

i only bought the monster on saturday < 9/8/08> so im just starting to sort bits out....
    im a long distance truck driver ... so working on it at night time isnt too good... just wanna relax...
    will be getting right in to it saturday morning with my son...
    already got a list as long as my arm of parts / odds 'n' sods im gonna order from thepartsgateway .... they helped me alot with parts for my 190E .... so gonna stick with them....
    trust me... if i require <which i know i will> more help regarding black betty..... i will defo be in touch guys...
    thx so much for the help and advice

jim

8. GordonTarling

GordonTarling Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
    Wash the affected area with warm bicarbonate of soda solution - this will neutralise the acid. Rinse thoroughly with LOTS of warm water, allow to dry, then paint the area with Hammerite.

9. Dragon

Dragon Banned

The overflow tube was disconnected that why the acid in the boot.

Do you understand why the earlier post said do not close the booth during drying if you have disconnected the battery terminii?

The opening of the booth required battery power. If you close the booth then you may not be able to open the booth again. It may be OK for 95 C-class. :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  10. mercmotion

mercmotion New Member

I d check the manual key operation in the lock before you close the boot also because they got a habit of seizing up because they are seldom used. If it is siezed spray wd40 in and loosly work the lock using the manual key side to side - it will eventually free.
    For the battery acid removal pour hot boiling water from the kettle over the battery acid it is the best tonic it will just dissolve away. Remove the drain plug in the bottom of the boot first.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  11. OP
    OP
    mercjim

mercjim Member

Car:
    C200 Elegance '95
    thx all ... will put your ideas to the test at the weekend :bannana:

12. benzonline

benzonline Active Member

I had this problem just recently. Baking soda is needed to clean the boot and remove all the acid...then you need to fix the rust and repaint it (cheaply of course).

Tags: