mikew

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikew

New Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
5
does anyone know on my SLK 230 when you push the speedo log reset twice it comes up with a number -290 d what does that mean? :
 
thanks for that i guess the dealer will reset it once serviced, car is just new to me purchaced out of japan anything i should be wary of? its a 1998
 
As stated above, pressing the zero button twice brings up how long you have left to the next service as calculated by ASSYST. The figure can either be in miles or days, so in your case it's 290 days. If I recall correctly, a negative figure means you have 290 days to your next service, a positive figure means you should have had a service 290 days ago, plus it would beep at you like crazy every time you switched the ignition on.

S.
 
Sorry its the other way round :( the car has overshot its service date by 290 days!!
 
Hmm Thats what I thought hence my original (or lack of) comment.
 
Ahh I got my +'ves and -'ves mixed up then :eek: I was under the impression that your car wasn't beeping like crazy with service reminders everytime you switched her on, err so to speak. I thought you'd inadvertantly pressed the zero trip button twice.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :p

S.
 
so - can you choose if it's days or miles? coz my SLK shows miles - and there's only 1000 to go before service no.1 :crazy: :eek:
 
pammy said:
so - can you choose if it's days or miles? coz my SLK shows miles - and there's only 1000 to go before service no.1 :crazy: :eek:
You don't choose, the ASSYST decision is based on a number of factors and that in turn dictates whether the count-down is displayed in miles or days.

To put it simply if the car has covered very few miles and the maximum time between services is approaching, 24 months I believe, then the ASSYST displays a count-down measured in days. Whereas if the car has covered more miles approaching 10-12k miles I think, or the oil is showing signs of degradation then the ASSYST will display the count-down to the next service in miles.

S.
 
Last edited:
Steve_Perry said:
You don't choose, the ASSYST decision is based on a number of factors and that in turn dictates whether the count-down is displayed in miles or days.

To put it simply if the car has covered very few miles and the maximum time between services is approaching, 24 months I believe, then the ASSYST displays a count-down measured in days. Whereas if the car has covered more miles approaching 10-12k miles I think, or the oil is showing signs of degradation then the ASSYST will display the count-down to the next service in miles.

S.

Is that just on the SLk or is it on all models? My display always shows miles counting down from 10000, however it does not count down with the speedo, if I need to top the oil up it slows the count down.
 
Geoff2 said:
Is that just on the SLk or is it on all models? My display always shows miles counting down from 10000, however it does not count down with the speedo, if I need to top the oil up it slows the count down.
I think the ASSYST service system was introduced in 1997 across the majority, if not all, of the model range.

S.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom