Milanese Parking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Just had a weekend in Milan. As with any city, parking spaces are at a premium but, being Italy, solutions are adopted there without batting an eyelid that would attract sanctions anywhere else. So, I thought I'd share a couple of good ones.

Not enough room to get the car in parked parallel to the kerb? No problemo!

null_zpsb05beaf8.jpg

(and yes, the Smart is parked completely on the pavement)

Some spaces are tighter than others...

null_zps3c5f2857.jpg

It's pretty tight at the front:

null_zps2b914ebc.jpg

...and even tighter at the rear!

null_zps97e6b5ae.jpg

Theft can be a bit of a problem too, and this one's going nowhere...

null_zpsdf0ad8b5.jpg

:D :D :D

Love the Italians.

just had a week over by the amalfi coast - to say the driving and the parking is crazy is an understatement.

they all looked like stock cars they were so bashed up.........

had planned on getting a hire car but was so glad we didn't as i would have never managed it without a heart attack

I was in Milan a couple of years ago. They park by reversing until they hit the car behind or in front or both. Not many unscratched bumpers around at all.
They seem to park anywhere as long as they are not blocking the road or causing a traffic obstruction they get left alone by the rozzers.

Phil the Duomo di Milano is amazing yes?

Last edited:
Looks like the parking has improved since I was last in Milan.
In Cagliari, I saw a bus deliberately push a car across a junction because the driver was a little slow buying from a street seller.
I've also seen a young lad on a scooter doing his hair in the rearview mirror - facing the wrong way with traffic coming towards him.

As has been said, you really have to love the Italians.

As an Italian living in London...

What's wrong with the scooter being chained to the rails? Am I missing something?

As for the cars being parked close together, in Turin it was"protocol" to leave your window open or car unlocked if you park blocking another car in. The idea being, that the person who you blocked in can either move you car (handbrake off and push) or honk your horn to get you to move it... In recent years with crime and whatnot, it's become more a case of leaving the handbrake off when parking; partly to allow others to move you car to get out, and partly to save the bumpers... when someone nudges you, if you brake is on the car will provide resistance... and the bumpers will take the brunt...

That smart on the sidewalk looks ok, that's a MASSIVE sidewalk... I've seen worse in the UK where cars put 2 wheels on the sidewalk and no-one can pass...

M

(yes, I am playing devils advocate and defending lost cause...
M.

Phil the Duomo di Milano is amazing yes?
It is, but unfortunately a good proportion of it is either under scaffolding or covered over and bearing a massive video screen displaying rolling Samsung adverts at the moment :rolleyes: Last year I had a good opportunity to see it in rather better conditions and it's a spectacular work of art. Also, there's a "sponsor a gargoyle" program which started in 2012 which, for a minimum investment of €3,000, allows you to "adopt" a gargoyle. The Roman Church has never been reticent about money raising :D

What's wrong with the scooter being chained to the rails? Am I missing something?
Nothing at all - it was more the "belt and braces" locking arrangement that amused me: disc lock + u-lock and then a cable lock to the railings :thumb:

This was Madrid from my hotel balcony - I watched the guy park (bottom left) then wander off for the evening.

The one in front had a skip immediately in front of him and arrived back half an hour later.

I learned a few new spanish profanities that day :eek:

Attachments

• madrid1 029.jpg
    madrid1 029.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 77
LOADSAROOM!!

:fail

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom