Mile-munchers, Audis and other boring stuff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What about a Toyota Hilux, and when the Mujahideens come to town you can mount a machine gun on the back. Seriously, those double cab things must be popular for a good reason.

My neighbour has just leased a golf r for sub 300 pcm and 3k ish down. A lot of 4 wheel drive car for the money. They are about to release an estate.

both the a4 and a6 quite dated now internally. I'd look at the bmw gt cars - deeply unpopular and therefore great value. Hatchbacks too so would be enough room (assuming you are not starting a removals business). One of these on a high mileage lease would do the job of both cars you are trying to employ?

Could get a maintenance lease as well to really give you a fixed cost for the year?

Cheers, that's not good to hear, was looking at XC90s (3.2 or 4.4) for the missus. She's driven a 3.2 XC90 and quite liked it. Looking at some Volvo forums I was under the impression that the later petrols weren't too bad (except for fuel consumption!)

I had an XC60 as a hire car a while ago (facelift version) and was pleasantly surprised with it. I grew up with Volvos until Dad switched to Merc so always have a soft spot for them...

I don't recognise Ian's description of the XC60 - I am seriously impressed with mine with the latest bi-turbo engine and 8 speed auto. The only thing that lets it down is the ride quality, which is superb on the autobahn at 130mph but really a bit choppy on local roads.

You're welcome to pop in as you are in South Bucks (Iver me) to have a look.

Just handed back my 2011 A6 3l V6 TDI (non Quattro). Perfectly fine for motorway miles, ranged from 41 to 61 MPG (OBC) depending on driving style and conditions but wasn't amazingly inspiring. Found the entertainment and nav system let it down, which is a big component of s long journey in my book.

The S line suspension was hard around town and it was a dog to get a good start from the lights or a junction.

I also had the insignia for three weeks whilst awaiting delivery of my previous C class, very comfortable and pleasantly surprised although I couldn't have lived with the incredibly light steering for any length of time. It felt like driving on ice or wet grass all the time.

Tough to beat a Merc for a good cruising motor!

I don't recognise Ian's description of the XC60 - I am seriously impressed with mine with the latest bi-turbo engine and 8 speed auto. The only thing that lets it down is the ride quality, which is superb on the autobahn at 130mph but really a bit choppy on local roads.

You're welcome to pop in as you are in South Bucks (Iver me) to have a look.

I'm actually running a XC60 R design at the moment whilst the V70 is in for paint and in all my experience of Volvo's this is the worst one I have ever driven. (Sorry Charles I know you like yours and cars are a personal thing) but I hate this truck with a passion, so much so I've swapped SWMBO and I'm using the W208 as my daily driver until the V70 is back.

So as a direct comparison to a Volvo V70 D5 SE LUX

The XC 60 ride is shocking and body roll is ridiculous, on one stretch of road on my commute there is a bad bend which is a good test of handling, the V70 will go round it well over 3 figures and still feel planted, 75 mph in this thing and I had to back off, for a 4 wheel drive car that is not acceptable. My normal mpg in the V70 is 51 the XC is supposed to have a more refined more fuel efficient engine so far on my commute 41.7 mpg ??? On to the interior, nicely finished stainless dash with a bloody big blue stripe down it on a black exterior car whats all that about looks like a five year old has been let loose on the final design with a box of crayola. Clocks speedo etc are very nice and they have done a good job of this but the plastics used are straight out of a 1980's Datsun (OK maybe not that bad) and the interior on this thing creaks and groans and it only has 1700 miles on the clock :D

Compared to the V70 the build quality is now where near, and my V70 compared to my previous V70 T5 is the same since 2005ish the quality of the build has gone down as the bean counters have taken control. Volvo is not the company it was and that really saddens me with the number I have had and it comes to something when the average Ford or Vauxhall rep mobile is better finished and kitted out than a car that was aiming to compete with MB, BMW, Audi. The only way a Volvo will be my next daily driver is if I buy an older one

Getting back on topic if Lee can't see himself in a V70 then I would give the Volvo brand a complete miss :thumb:

Skoda Yeti Lee ?

For various reasons I am running an A6 3.00tdi quattro at the moment .It is not a comfortable car. I get back ache (where I have never had it in a Merc') after about an hour driving. Tends to be upper back ache just below shoulder blades. Also the sat nav is nowhere near as good as Merc units .I hope to be rid of the thing in the spring.ps the auto box is frightful as well ..it is a dsg need I say more

I dont particularly like Audi's but if you want a 4x4 mile muncher then it does fit the bill.

Out of interest what line of work are you in?

Compared to the V70 the build quality is now where near, and my V70 compared to my previous V70 T5 is the same since 2005ish the quality of the build has gone down as the bean counters have taken control.

That's a little worrying seeing as most of the Volvo's I've been around (S60, V50, V70, circa 2000-2006) have all started to look a little tired inside by 80-100k, and not for lack of care and poor treatment.

I was digging a little deeper today into the figures for the XC60 D5 - for a car with 200+hp, where is all the performance going?

I had no idea Audis were so bad and unpopular.

There is the Skoda superb 4x4 estate, available with the same V6 petrol or 2.0 TDI you get in the Audi. Rubbish name, but it has the latest Haldex unit too and almost as much room as an eClass estate.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion, I've now put one of those on my shortlist. :thumb:

Bringing this back on topic, how about the Subaru Outback as mentioned above or the Legacy for the OP.

A Subaru is a bit too sensible for me, I know a few lads that use them for their country pursuits and they really take some hammer but they're not for me.

What about a Toyota Hilux, and when the Mujahideens come to town you can mount a machine gun on the back. Seriously, those double cab things must be popular for a good reason.

I find 4x4 pick-ups to be horrible to drive (and I've owned four different marques!) plus I'm wanting a bit of an all-rounder and if there's one place a Hi-Lux doesn't like being, it's in the outside lane of a motorway doing 71mph.

My neighbour has just leased a golf r for sub 300 pcm and 3k ish down. A lot of 4 wheel drive car for the money. They are about to release an estate.

both the a4 and a6 quite dated now internally. I'd look at the bmw gt cars - deeply unpopular and therefore great value. Hatchbacks too so would be enough room (assuming you are not starting a removals business). One of these on a high mileage lease would do the job of both cars you are trying to employ?

Could get a maintenance lease as well to really give you a fixed cost for the year?

I will possibly look into leasing after the first year, if all goes to plan. I just don't like having monthly payments when I can buy the car cash and sell it after 12 months for £1000-1500 less than what I paid or if it's a good egg, keep it and use it as a pool car.

BMW's are out of the window I'm afraid; I really like the look of them from the outside but I find the interiors so psychotically depressing I might crash into the central reservation in anger. I'm not entirely sure where these feelings come from but I'll have to give them a pass for now.

Ditto your feelings re BMs Lee. Cabins so tiny and dark, its like driving a coffin.

Just handed back my 2011 A6 3l V6 TDI (non Quattro). Perfectly fine for motorway miles, ranged from 41 to 61 MPG (OBC) depending on driving style and conditions but wasn't amazingly inspiring. Found the entertainment and nav system let it down, which is a big component of s long journey in my book.

The S line suspension was hard around town and it was a dog to get a good start from the lights or a junction.

I also had the insignia for three weeks whilst awaiting delivery of my previous C class, very comfortable and pleasantly surprised although I couldn't have lived with the incredibly light steering for any length of time. It felt like driving on ice or wet grass all the time.

Tough to beat a Merc for a good cruising motor!
Thanks, I was hoping for a recent owners view on Audi. :thumb:

Skoda Yeti Lee ?

I've put a 4x4 Skoda Octavia estate on the list now. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom