Mile-munchers, Audis and other boring stuff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out of interest what line of work are you in?

The company I'm getting off the ground at the minute is in relation to what estate agents do (I don't want to give out too much info just yet).

The other business, which is more bread and butter for me, is a fitted kitchen/bedroom company. I've also got ideas to expand and completely change the way independent kitchen firms do business but that might have to wait until the back end of next year.

Then I've also got the properties I'm buying, renovating and then selling but that will more than likely slow down for a couple of years while I build these other businesses up.

At some point, in between all that, I've also got to build our new home.

Dagnabbit. Just mis-read the thread title as Pile-munchers and wondered how it got to five pages. What a disappointment.

That's a little worrying seeing as most of the Volvo's I've been around (S60, V50, V70, circa 2000-2006) have all started to look a little tired inside by 80-100k, and not for lack of care and poor treatment.

I was digging a little deeper today into the figures for the XC60 D5 - for a car with 200+hp, where is all the performance going?

I agree with both your comments they can look tired and dated by 100k Mine is currently on 60k and already looking tired and you can see I really look after my cars and that 4 wheel drive system on the XC must be sucking a load of power because it definitely aint getting to the wheels

Seem to have moved on from Insignia, but just in case....

I had one for 3 months on long term hire - around 2010 so 1st Gen. Was 2.0 CDTi top model. Good to drive, diesel was fine, but basic. Reliability - it was new so expected and got no issues. I've preferred them to Mondeo's both now and then (get the odd one in Ireland on hire still), but you've got other more interesting options I think.

Was thinking, do you definitely need 4WD? 2WD with winter tyres knocks the socks of 4WD any day, and omitting this option means you would probably get more car for your money too (options etc.). Food for thought. Unless you live somewhere really remote, in which case a 4WD with winter tyres would obviously be the optimal choice. Oh, and mpg is better on a 2WD too, if you're bothered about that sort of thing.

Palfrem said:
I'd agree. My sister in law has one and it's a well thought out and sorted car. Lots of nice touches to appreciate.
skoda_big.jpg

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

With the Skoda I'd just make sure that the pedals are not offset. They were on the 58 Octavia that I had and crippled me after a full day behind the wheel.

I'm not sure what shares what in their model line up.

davidjpowell said:
With the Skoda I'd just make sure that the pedals are not offset. They were on the 58 Octavia that I had and crippled me after a full day behind the wheel. I'm not sure what shares what in their model line up.

I totally agree this offset pedal set up kills my hip after a long journey. The same pedal config is also used in the sportier A4 and A5 models too

Beware or you might need a hip replacement sooner than you think :)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I've got a 2011 A4 Avant, owned from new. It's perfectly competent, reliable and cheap to run. It's also dull and is nowhere near big enough for a growing family. Fine for eating up serious miles on your own though. The acid test is that, when given the choice, I always take the Mercedes, even though that's pretty dull too. Is just a much nicer place to be.

I agree with both your comments they can look tired and dated by 100k Mine is currently on 60k and already looking tired and you can see I really look after my cars and that 4 wheel drive system on the XC must be sucking a load of power because it definitely aint getting to the wheels

Back to plan A then - E350 coupe.

I've got a 2011 A4 Avant, owned from new. It's perfectly competent, reliable and cheap to run. It's also dull and is nowhere near big enough for a growing family. Fine for eating up serious miles on your own though. The acid test is that, when given the choice, I always take the Mercedes, even though that's pretty dull too. Is just a much nicer place to be.

I'm sort of expecting "dull" if I'm being honest, out of both cars; once you've owned RWD it's hard to go back to FWD.

If all goes to plan, in a years time, I will be buying a car that will level up the tedium of this ilk of car but that is a long way of at the minute!

I have an Audi A6 Avant Quattro, and I've been really pleased with it. It's effortless in everything that it does, whether that's dull or deeply competent will be down to personal interpretation I guess.

It has plenty of performance and may be as quick as some AMGs in real world driving but it lacks the drama. Strangely I've been drawn to it for almost every trip, so I'm erring towards it being "too" deeply competent!

No complaints with the seats or pedal position but maybe that's model/trip specific.

Not what you're after, but my take on Audi; I have a 2010 A5 3.0tdi Quattro S-Line (special edition), I've had it for a year and done 22k miles with it, no mechanical issues. It's extremely sure footed (one very controllable slide in the wet due to over exuberant driving). Yes the peddles are offset and I found that slightly irksome for the first couple of months, I don't notice it anymore and have done a couple of runs to Scotland without hip or back pain.

The cabin is a pleasant place to be, no complaints with the satnav or MMI. I personally prefer a harder sports seat in preference to a typical MB seat.

My remit prior to purchase was a diesel 4wd coupe or saloon, I narrowed the search down to a Saab 95 XWD or Audi A5 coupe. Looks and cabin spaciousness was pushing me towards the Saab until I test drove one, it was a dull drive, wallowing in the corners, with a nasty expanse of plastic for the dash and centre console. The Audi won hands down.

I wouldn't dismiss the Audi out of hand until you've test driven one.

HTH.

Thinking about it - someone where I work has a 58 plate A5 3.0 TDI sport thing and has had it since early 2011.

I have been a passenger in it a few times and the seats are hard and uncomfortable for me (I get a sore lower back after 30 minutes regardless of seat adjustment) - I had obviously removed those experiences from my mind!

Goes quite well and hasn't had many issues saying that.

Thanks for the helpful info everyone, the general feeling I get about the Audi A4/A6 is that they're competent cars that lack a little soul which is what I was expecting to be honest.

The mile-muncher will possibly be a Skoda Octavia/Superb 4x4 estate or an Insignia.

Bought a 2010 BMW 318d yesterday as a hack, it was that cheap it was almost freee!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom