Mile-munchers, Audis and other boring stuff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Haha, Alba.

Is that the Northern version of B&O?

I actually replaced the 2010 BMW 318d with a 2010 Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi (160), owned it for three month and drive nine thousand absolutely faultless miles in it and just sold it today (been replaced by the S203 because I'm not doing as much mileage now)

Really impressed with the whole package, the previous model Vectra wasn't up to much imo, but this was great value; interior felt well built, good technology, great fuel economy of 52 mpg combined, cab was laid out around the driver and a punchy 160bhp engine. Twice the car the BMW was in fact, if definitely have another Insignia as a daily hack.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new mile-muncher is a 2008 Lexus IS220d SE-L:

Picked it up today, initial impressions are very good, very quiet at high speeds. One thing that is hilarious is the gearing; I'm really not exaggerating when I say that the sixth gear is unusable until you hit 90! Very strange...

I considered a petrol IS250 auto one of those before I bought the current steed.

As you say, a mile-muncher for you but for me I would have had more fun cutting my throat open and turning myself into a water fountain.

Remember a bloke at work moaning about how sterile his was even though the Mark Levinson stereo system in it was pretty good...

Remember a bloke at work moaning about how sterile his was even though the Mark Levinson stereo system in it was pretty good...

Not as good as Harmon Kardon in a W211...;)

I understand the sterile comment, it's something I'd say to be honest, but it's not that bad, the technology in it pisses all over its competition for one and it's very quiet on the motorway.

The manual gearbox is a very strange one, the gears are so high that you could quite literally drive around in 3rd and never have to change gear.

No, it didn't really sound as good as the system in mine (standard 8 speakers).

Although to be fair, I understand they use the same drivers in the standard 8 speaker system as in the HK system, except it has less power and no sub (which is why I added my own amp and sub on the parcel shelf).

I imagine the GS upwards probably have a better version of the system.

Bloke at work, well ex-work now, has the IS250 auto which is probably worse for a dull drive.

However, he did say it was immensely quiet and a great ride quality.

This Lexus won't be lasting very long...

Drives nice, very quiet cabin but the gearing is just ridiculous and the fuel economy is woeful, seriously, struggling to achieve over 35mpg on a (very) steady run.

That's pretty poor for a 2.2 manual 4 cylinder diesel!

Supposed to be in the mid 40s...

That's pretty poor for a 2.2 manual 4 cylinder diesel!

Supposed to be in the mid 40s...

Never seen above 38-39mpg even when cheating (resetting the trip on a downward road with the engine fully warmed up).

It is a shame though because I really like the rest of it, it's definitely making me think about an IS-F in the future.

I'd avoid the Audis with sportline suspension, one way trip to the chiro/physio.

the fuel economy is woeful, seriously, struggling to achieve over 35mpg on a (very) steady run.

Hmmm...

Seems as though the issue with bad fuel economy could be down to two injectors over fuelling...

Air con pulley needs changing too...

Rear electric windows have packed in...

AFS light is on....

Great car the Lexus, never need a spanner near them...

Just been told by a Lexus employee (who shall remain nameless) that the putting a diesel engine in a Lexus was the worse decision they ever made by a long chalk; the amount of work they did on recall was astounding so I'm told.

Hence why Lexus now don't do a diesel...

Hallelujah, praise the Lawd! The Lexi has gone! I can quite categorically say that it was the worse car I have ever owned. Completey my own fault; its the first car I've not researched before buying thinking that a Lexus, any Lexus, is reliable.

Barely a day went past without some type of fault occurring, from injectors to the EGR to the air con (twice) etc etc not to mention the completely ridiculous gearing on the 'box; it was only happy in sixth gear when doing 80mph (which of course we all know I don't do), the fuel consumption was terrible even after the injectors were sorted, there were numerous electric faults e.g. the driver could only control his own window, the other three switches didn't do owt, the memory seat function didn't work, the heated seat function blew cold air and vice versa with the cooled option.... I could go on....

If I never ever see one again, it'll be too soon.

I've never felt the urge to have a Lexus.

You should list all the cars you've had Lee, must be a hell of a list by now.

I do have the urge for a Lexus but I am tempted by the larger examples such as the GS and LS - well LS if didn't look like a Toyota on steroids.

I can't believe you are selling the E55 Lee...

I've never felt the urge to have a Lexus.

You should list all the cars you've had Lee, must be a hell of a list by now.

My big (very very) big regret is that I sold the C270 estate I bought from TrapperJohn to a very good friend of mine who was struggling for money to buy a car for work at the time so I gave him it on tick (which he paid within a month I might add). Said C270 has since done 13k miles in three months and only needed two front fecking tyres!!!!! I'm a sucker for a sob story...:eek: His need was greater than mine at the time I suppose....

I might actually sit down one night and write down how many (and which) cars I've owned. I do know the AMG's off the top of my head though: a C36, three C43's, a C32, a CL55 N/A, a W211 E63 and two 211 E55's one estate and one saloon. I make that nine in circa three years.

I do have the urge for a Lexus but I am tempted by the larger examples such as the GS and LS - well LS if didn't look like a Toyota on steroids.

I can't believe you are selling the E55 Lee...

The consensus on Lexi forums are the petrols are bulletproof but only half (only!!!) were engine related, the rest were everything round it. Alan Partridge would be turning in his grave...

The situation with the E55 is typical me though, one day I'll stop kidding myself. The issue is twofold really; the RRS is that cheap that I will be able to run it for a year and at least get my money back if not make something. The other issue is the missus a) hates estates b) loves RRS's and c) really prefers being sat higher up to see more of the road. I'd just got it exactly how I wanted it too, it's running absolutely sweet as a nut; I'll definitely miss it.

The consensus on Lexi forums are the petrols are bulletproof but only half (only!!!) were engine related, the rest were everything round it. Alan Partridge would be turning in his grave...

The situation with the E55 is typical me though, one day I'll stop kidding myself. The issue is twofold really; the RRS is that cheap that I will be able to run it for a year and at least get my money back if not make something. The other issue is the missus a) hates estates b) loves RRS's and c) really prefers being sat higher up to see more of the road. I'd just got it exactly how I wanted it too, it's running absolutely sweet as a nut; I'll definitely miss it.

Shame you can't buy the RRS as well and keep the E55 as your own car. Everyone's happy then - except the bank manager. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom