Mileage Mileage Mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryan Allman

SUPPORTER
Car
SLK55 (R172) 62.
Browsing through the Italian equivalent of Autotrader OnLine for a nice cheap runabout/hack to pick up people from the station/airport (when we are next allowed to travel), and I have been surprised by the mileages racked up by relatively 'normal' cars ...........

So far 533,000 km is the highest seen, but most of the vehicles are well into their 100-200,000 km. Quite a few Mercedes in that bracket also. Makes you wonder at our mentality when we seem to consider any vehicle approaching 100,000 (160,000km) as over the hill

Feast your eyes on some of these beauties .....

www.autoscout24.it

Browsing through the Italian equivalent of Autotrader OnLine for a nice cheap runabout/hack to pick up people from the station/airport (when we are next allowed to travel), and I have been surprised by the mileages racked up by relatively 'normal' cars ...........

So far 533,000 km is the highest seen, but most of the vehicles are well into their 100-200,000 km. Quite a few Mercedes in that bracket also. Makes you wonder at our mentality when we seem to consider any vehicle approaching 100,000 (160,000km) as over the hill

Feast your eyes on some of these beauties .....

www.autoscout24.it
Same with vehicles in Greece and France.

From what I saw when the old man lived there, Italians don't change their cars nearly as often as us in the UK. You get hit with taxes every time you change owners, which last time I checked could be up to €1k, and things like insurance and bollo are pretty expensive too depending on the size and power of the car. Hence if they've gone for a bigger car, it's usually because they're going to cover some mileage.

That 750k E-class has almost certainly seen some airport runs though 🤣

From what I saw when the old man lived there, Italians don't change their cars nearly as often as us in the UK. You get hit with taxes every time you change owners, which last time I checked could be up to €1k, and things like insurance and bollo are pretty expensive too depending on the size and power of the car. Hence if they've gone for a bigger car, it's usually because they're going to cover some mileage.

That 750k E-class has almost certainly seen some airport runs though 🤣
I’ve noticed that on the continent vehicles seem to be real workhorses.

I’ve noticed that on the continent vehicles seem to be real workhorses.
The continentals do tend to drive a lot more/further than we do.
For us islanders, it is much easier to jump on a plane to head get to just about anywhere in Europe.
If you live in, say, Munich or Stuttgart and you want to take the girl-friend skiing or to the Bodensee for the weekend, you shove the gear in the boot and go hurtling down the autobahn...

Mine ticked over 151k today and my milage has increased in the past 6 months for one reason or another, lots of motoway cruising miles.

So, happy to get more reassurance that they're able to take it!

Why would you not buy an airport S or E class with starship miles on the clock? Such an easy unstressed life plodding up and down the motorways at optimum speed and temperatures, hardly using the brakes. Washed daily and valeted weekly. Maybe not MB service history but these cars have to be looked after. If they aren't rolling they are not earning. I'd buy a midlands car rather than a London one. Longer runs to LHR and less stress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom