Miles per tank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom9748

Car
E Class
Hi
Picked up my first Mercedes last week a 64 plate E220 CDI Sport. Love the car really comfortable to drive,not a nicer car have I had.
When looking into buying the car I read that mileage on a full tank between 600-700 miles,I took this with a pinch of salt!!
Ive spoke to two people who drive these cars and was told mileage around 600 miles as long as you don't hurtle around.
I've currently done 200 miles after putting a full tank of fuel in and am already hitting half empty,have not floored it and not driven what I consider fast.
Is this the norm for this type of car??
Any feedback much appreciated.

Tankfull to tankfull

Hi,

My E350 CDI S212 says 47mpg on the OBC. I did a brimfull at the same pump some 650 miles travelled and my work out was 45.5 mpg

Given the capacity of fuel tanks vary, measuring fuel consumption by the tankful is not always going to give valid comparisons. 200 miles on half a tank is nothing like enough though as if we assume half a tank is 30L it works out to approx. 30MPG. That can't be right.

Why not refill the tank to give a more accurate measure of the fuel used.

Use Shell V Power diesel. Yes it costs more, but you get 10% more MPG.

Believe me. I tested it over 2000 miles using Tesco stuff and then Shell!

You might get 450 - 480 miles on full tank if your only driving around town short journeys where most of the speed is about 25-30mph. Steep hills and short roads with lots of start - stops will dramatically reduce your mpg, say 25-30mpg. On a motorway it would increase to around 47mpg. So maybe worth checking what your computer says when driving locally compared to motorway drives. My 2012 c220 can vary from say 460 miles to 750 miles depending on whether I've done a full tank on small local roads only or motorway only.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Click on the link below for a full report on every tank I've put in our "64" E220 CDI, I'm mostly in the 400's from low to high depending on use.

Very rarely do I hit 500 miles from a single tank.

I do very little motorway in this car, it's our daily workhorse.

Last edited:
I got a very easy 662 miles from a tank with my s211 e320 cdi without the light coming on :)

I completely agree with you - plus you get triple Shell points so you get a nice money off voucher every few months. It's also a lot better for the engine - my 2006 E320CDi was on 184,000 when I sold it and was still on the original injectors, fuel pump and EGR valve. Well worth the extra couple of pounds filling up!

Better than my SLK, ok it's Petrol, but am lucky to get much more than 320 per tank and that's on premium high octane fuels

I believe you but does it cost 10% more?

Over 45000 miles ish in my s212 e220 I got 35 to 37.

Passat I rented for a month whilst waiting for my s212 got 59 mpg.

Only Mercedes i will ever buy is a v8 petrol, after having 2 diesels and 4 petrols.

Others do economy much much better.

Over 45000 miles ish in my s212 e220 I got 35 to 37.

Passat I rented for a month whilst waiting for my s212 got 59 mpg.

Only Mercedes i will ever buy is a v8 petrol, after having 2 diesels and 4 petrols.

Others do economy much much better.

Should have rented a Volvo diesel then instead of that horrible Vag, Like you say other diesel's do much better.... But that's not really the point is it?

Why drive a Vag when you can drive a Mb or any other diesel.

I personally think VAGs are good cars and my previous 3 were very reliable, but everyone has different opinions and experiences.

I believe you but does it cost 10% more?

Compared with regular Shell diesel, about 6% difference, but between supermarket gunk, probably 10% or even more. But I've gone down the sadder road of getting the Shell Card, downloading the app, and getting Avios points as I do like turning left when getting on aeroplanes.

Instead of Avios, you can get money off vouchers instead for your fuel or Waitrose and some other stuff.

A lot of people say it's better for the engine as well in the long term, but I just use it for the MPG and the car actually appears to run and sound much better as well.

Interesting reading.

I have a 2003 320 CDI, with 190k miles, and I've been getting up to 600 miles per tank. It is the larger tank though, I think it takes up to 80 litres.

Oh, and I use the cheapest supermarket fuel!

600miles in 9hrs 24mins ave spd 64mph and still no reserve light on, s211 I6

merc85-albums-she-stands-10-1-2016-picture9875-mpg1.jpg

Compared with regular Shell diesel, about 6% difference, but between supermarket gunk, probably 10% or even more.

It's generally 9p dearer in Shell owned stations but can be a lot more in franchises. Looking at the last receipt it was 118.9 per litre, so 109.9 for their normal stuff. That's about 8% but if the differential is static then the % changes with the price.

We use it exclusively in wifey's EU6 VW Tiguan as the complexity of its emissions systems terrifies me so I want to give it every help I can. Its first fill was by the dealer so I presume that was cheap stuff but its brim to brim MPG is remarkably consistent.

I ran several tankfulls through my car which is used for long trips and found it made absolutely no difference. If anything, I reckon I get best MPG from Sainsbury's diesel - last lot I bought was 102.9. I can very easily clear 600 miles in that - 63L tank (just under 14 gallons) and it'll do a true high 40's on a run without thinking about it.

Last edited:
Well I got 584 miles out of the E350 estate on the last tank, which I think is stunning.

It was down to Greenwich on the Sunday from Norwich and then back, then down to China Town on Thursday and my wife went to Ely and back at the weekend.

No real short journeys anywhere, but did obviously include London traffic for probably 80 miles, and the 6 mile school run all week.

But still, 580 miles out of a 3.5 litre 6cyl large heavy family estate I think is great.

E500 Coupe
On a run 400 miles (60-80mph), daily commute 300 miles (60 litre tank)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom