milky oil filler cap & maybe too much oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simbad

Car
CLK 55 AMG
2 things worrying me.

1. i checked the oil and it was a little low about 1/3 on min/max- topped it up.
read manual last night and it said that dipstick checks should be 10mins stopping after normal running temp.
not sure i had done that, so i ran engine warm today and checked. seemed to be about 3 to 4 mm higher than the Max line.

is that a problem, i heard to much oil can cause probs?

2. Big worry. opened the oil filler cap and there was a very small amount of milky/oily slightly white, slightly sludgy oil on the inside of the cap. only a little and a small wipe with a tissue it was gone. although i think i noticed the same about 3/4 weeks ago when i checked the oil, but in between checked once and nothing.

i remember from somewhere this meaning water getting in the engine and causing big probs?

Advice please?

Should i take the car for an oil change to rectify the levels. and any recommendation on type of oil.

Car is yr 2000 CLK 55 AMG

The answers are that the slight over fill is unlikely to be a problem and that the slight mayonase inside the oil cap is probably nothing but condensation from the cold weather.
Check the cap again and look inside the cam box, if all is Ok and the dipstick only has oil on it (no mayonaise) the all is Ok.

The engine will gradually burn off the overfill.

Dieselman said:
The answers are that the slight over fill is unlikely to be a problem and that the slight mayonase inside the oil cap is probably nothing but condensation from the cold weather.
Check the cap again and look inside the cam box, if all is Ok and the dipstick only has oil on it (no mayonaise) the all is Ok.

The engine will gradually burn off the overfill.
Interesting, i got this response from another forum....

To much oil is as bad as to little as you know....to much can blow seals ect, I had to much in mine when I got it but got some out pretty dam quick.

but i guess you are saying as it is only a litte too much it is ok ?

simbad said:
Interesting, i got this response from another forum....

To much oil is as bad as to little as you know....to much can blow seals ect, I had to much in mine when I got it but got some out pretty dam quick.

but i guess you are saying as it is only a litte too much it is ok ?

Yes 3-4 mm is going to be about 1/6th of a litre and shouldn't be a high enough level to cause a problem. The oil level makes no difference to the pressure, just the amount in the sump. The crankshaft will throw a bit more around but it shouldn' tbe enough to be a problem.

Thanks

Diesel man,
thanks a lot, put my mind at rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom