Milky Windscreen - Brick or Breaker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
Moral / practicla dilemma time... My front windscreen has a chip in it ( passenger side) and that milky de-lamination in the drivers side bottom corner. I know of another coupe being broken near me with an undamaged windscreen..

1. Do I get the insurance to pay & fit a new one

or

2. Buy the 2nd hand one and pay (if possible) for someone to fit a new one..

Cheers

If your screen is covered and is one that doesn't affect your claims policy, i'd ring and ask about claiming as someone bricked the window - if all good arrange an appt and then brick an hour before thier due...

If not covered, go option 2 ;)

(I have few morales though when it comes to insurance!)

a friend of mine had a house brick fall on his SEC rear screen.. or was it vandals, never remember..

damn unlucky whatever it was... it was pure coincidence that it happened at the time he wanted to get his windows tinted too..

Sometimes these things just happen at fortuitous times. ;)

I don't expect to hear from any of you anytime soon snivelling about the high cost of car insurance. :D

I actually agree with neil. Accident insurance is for exactly that and spurious claims put up premiums.

Back to the original point...

if you do go second hand....rear screens can often be a pain to get out - it will probably crack on removal... second hand ones often go milky again whereas new ones dont..

Back to the original point...

if you do go second hand....rear screens can often be a pain to get out - it will probably crack on removal... second hand ones often go milky again whereas new ones dont..

Thats the starnge thing, my rear screen is fine. I have the milkyness on the front screen. Are front screens hard to fit?

My coupe had a new screen about 3 years ago, its already going milky again, so a used one is pretty pointless.

I checked on the price of a new windscreen for my car and it's only about £150 from MB! My insurance company want £70 excess to replace it, I hardly think that the difference even when added to the cost of installation makes a huge dent in the insurance company profits, especially when regardless of injury someone mentions "whiplash" and gets £3k with little or no questions asked.

If you talk to autoglass or whoever your insurance company recommends you might find that rather than repairing the chip they will ask if you want the screen replacing, as it's delaminating due to the damage. It costs them nothing as they will bill the insurance company anyway. Whichever way you look at it you pay the premiums, you will be paying the excess and the windscreen IS DAMAGED.

I think that as Shude has mentioned, you should be able to claim anyway, as the screen is damaged. Worth asking one of the glass companies, I doubt if the insurance companies insist on inspecting all the old windscreens anyway (they'd break on removal!)

I'm sure that insurance co's will still make a profit out of a year's typical premium even after paying for a new screen.

Will

Thats sort of my thinking, that its damaged and if it wouldnt pass an MOT then its not roadworthy. I suppose the crux of it is wether its wear and tear or an actual accident!. Ill go to one of them supermarket car park chip removal guys and see what they think, they probably know the insurance situation inside out given they advertise to fix any chip for free!.

Cheers

I actually agree with neil. Accident insurance is for exactly that and spurious claims put up premiums.

It's also committing fraud.

Strange to see the forum being used to advocate a crime. Presumably the moderators are busy banning helpful people who don't advocate crime.

I bet they will delete *this* post pretty quickly, though. :rolleyes:

to be honest the glass companies ask no questions at all.. if you tell them you want it replaced they will replace it, even if the old one was fitted last week.. they get their money and all is ok..

Sounds good to me! Cheers!

I don't like the suggestion on here of 'bricks', but if Crammy's screen is definately chipped it should be possible to repair or replace it under the insurance terms.

That's got to be the best option?

Will

I had mine replaced by the insurance company - I had a chip on the near side which started to crack, got to about 4 inches long and they came out and replaced it without fuss.

Think it cost me a little bit, but allegedly won't affect my NCB.

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom