Millers Diesel Power Sport 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
As you will probably know I have just taken delivery of my first diesel a Volvo V50 1.6 DRIVe eco model. As usual I am being inundated with advice on what to do what fuel to use and the use of engine additives.

I have searched for past threads on the above but most were from 2007 so I'm hoping for some updated views.

Now I used to work for a company that supplies all the additives to Shell for V power pertol & diesel so I am well up on the chemistry of standard premium fuel additives and they do make a difference.

My question is 3 fold

Does Millers Diesel Sport 4 provide the same sort of benefits & performance when added to standard diesel that you get from premium diesel?

Has anyone ever had any negative effects when using this additive?

Is there any benefit in using Millers Diesel Sport 4 and a premium diesel?

I know there are other additives out there like Forte, Wurth etc.. but the chemistry of Millers appears more suited to everyday running with cetane enhancers and improved lubricity and is very close to the addittives supplied to Shell.

All views welcome

My question is 3 fold

Does Millers Diesel Sport 4 provide the same sort of benefits & performance when added to standard diesel that you get from premium diesel?

Has anyone ever had any negative effects when using this additive?

Is there any benefit in using Millers Diesel Sport 4 and a premium diesel?

It seems to. The engine is quieter and they claim better mpg/performance. Don't know though because I use it continuously so have no control figures.

No.

Only done it once, by accident. Couldn't see any benefit of the premium fuel so didn't run it again.

I use it for the cetane improvers and lubrication value and fuel system cleaners. As far as I can tell it works.

As your car has mpg readout you could see if there was an improvement, but will need to let the engine bed in a bit first otherwise the results could be misleading.

Try some and see and if you like it buy 5L containers from their depot, it's about half price then.
If you keep the regular dosing bottle you can refil it.

It's interesting that you say the additive is similar to V power.

If you keep the regular dosing bottle you can refil it.

Is that by filling the measuring chamber and sucking back down into the bottle while inclined in the vice???

Bought two bottles of the Millers Diesel Sport 4 stuff today after reading the 2007 threads. (Incidentally our local motor spares shop informed me that the ordinary Millers Diesel treatment is to be discontinued.)

I have several vehicles in which to try the product so I will try and keep any eye on any changes in performance, mpg and noise levels.

Asked the guy at our local motor spares shop if it worked " It does in my bl**dy boat lad!"

We'll see;)

Try some and see and if you like it buy 5L containers from their depot, it's about half price then.

It's interesting that you say the additive is similar to V power.

The Chemistry is very similar to the cetane enhancers and lubricants used in V Power. I'm sure you know V Power diesel is a gas to liquid fuel which results in a much cleaner product that combusts more efficiently than traditionally refined crudes.

The additives that go into V Power (Petrol & Diesel) are all supplied by a Swiss company called Ciba (Part of the old Ciba Geigy empire) they also supply all the additives for the Shell Helix oil range as well and also they supply all the additives for Mobil 1.

How do I find their depot can't seem to see it on the website?

Thanks for the info.

Just as a "by the way" if anyone had used a shell garage just before xmas they would have been getting V power out any pump, there was production issues and they had to supply from the V power stocks[petrol and diesel].

Sorry I have to argue the point there regarding v power being a gas to liquid fuel, what you will find is GTL [gas to liquid] is an additive to diesel.:)

Sorry I have to argue the point there regarding v power being a gas to liquid fuel, what you will find is GTL [gas to liquid] is an additive to diesel.:)

Sorry thats not correct see below which I was heavily involved with and the plant in Qatar, we have now moved on to V Power for aircraft.

Fuel alternatives

What's flying your plane?

Shell is the market leader for gas-to-liquid, a refinery method that makes it possible to convert natural gas to oil.

As crude oil resources dwindle and the price you pay at the fuel pump rises, the market for alternatives to fuel derived from crude oil is rapidly growing. A lot of attention is focusing on biofuels, but an interesting option is presented by so-called gas-to-liquid fuels.

Gas-to-liquid (GTL) is a refinery method that makes it possible to convert natural gas, such as methane, to oil. This oil can in turn be processed into fuels and engine lubricants for anything from airplanes to lawnmowers.

GTL diesel has a particularly good emission profile, especially when it comes to small particulate matter, and could help improve the air quality of heavily populated cities such as Beijing or London.

“There is a lot of hype around the gas-to-liquid technology. In February this year, the Airbus A380 was the first commercial airplane to test-fly with GTL mixed fuel. It’s an attractive feedstock, particularly in countries with a lot of methane gas deposits

Shell is the market leader for GTL and is currently building a plant in Qatar large enough to produce the fuel required to power all buses and taxis in 10 mega-cities.

For now, GTL fuel is available as part of Shell’s V Power diesel, for sale at petrol stations in Europe and Asia. In the future, Shell will also produce lubricant base oils from the GTL process which will be used in their Helix brand lubricants.

Helix® lubricants keep vehicle engines, gearboxes and transmissions turning smoothly and can improve vehicles’ fuel economy and emission profile. As with any base stock, to meet performance specifications chemical additives are required.

Is that by filling the measuring chamber and sucking back down into the bottle while inclined in the vice???

Screw a longish screw into the green plug (ball) and pull it out, refill then refit plug and unscrew.

Screw a longish screw into the green plug (ball) and pull it out, refill then refit plug and unscrew.

Mine must be an old one, no ball

Mine could be 3-4 years old plus whatever length of time it was on the shelf before i got it.

Gas-to-liquid (GTL) is a refinery method that makes it possible to convert natural gas, such as methane, to oil. This oil can in turn be processed into fuels and engine lubricants for anything from airplanes to lawnmowers.

Here is wikis version. I was intially interested in how we went from xCH4 to CH3(CH2)yCH3

Given the number of organic synthesis involved, is it the "atom economy" more or less efficient than the fractional distillation method from feedstocks through to final product and in terms of energetic costs which method is best.

Here is wikis version. I was intially interested in how we went from xCH4 to CH3(CH2)yCH3

Given the number of organic synthesis involved, is it the "atom economy" more or less efficient than the fractional distillation method from feedstocks through to final product and in terms of energetic costs which method is best.

Shell use the low temperature Fischer Tropsch process with a cobalt catalyst

In the first, natural gas is partially oxidized at high temperature and pressure in the Shell Gasification Process (syngas manufacture step).

The second stage, Heavy Paraffin Synthesis (Fischer-Tropsch synthesis step), is the heart of the process. Here the gas is converted into liquid hydrocarbons

Finally, the Heavy Paraffin Conversion (hydrocracking step) reactor is used to fine-tune the product by selective cracking and fractionation to separate the desired middle distillate products

This is much more efficient than the coventional hydrocarbon fractional distillation and produces a lot cleaner middle distillates.

I was also involved in the SASOL plant in South Africa making Petrol, Diesel and other fuels from Coal, that brings a whole new set of challanges. We tried it in this county too and there was a pilot plant at Point of Ayr in North Wales but we could never mine the coal cheap enough so the economies wern't there but the technology worked well

Last edited:
Hmm, the last time I walked around uk`s only Vpower plant they wern`t making gas to liquid, just gasoline,aviation fuel etc..with additive thrown in, unless I`m very much mistaken.
I`ll have a look on Saturday, surely they can`t change things that quickly I`ve only been away for a few days!:eek:

There is no V power plant in the UK non of the UK refineries are equipped with this technology only Malaysia & Qatar it's all brought in from there. Presumably you are talking about Stanlow? In which case I can definitely confirm there is no GTL process. Shell refineries or depots in the UK only stock the V Power fuel that is imported. The standard fuel is refined here and has additives thrown in depending if it is going out as Shell branded fuel or supermarket fuel. All Shell premium brands are refined abroad.

So tell me, please ...
What's the difference between Miller's Diesel Power Plus and Power Sport 4 ?

I've used Power Plus for years both in the E300TDs, and prior to that, in a Cherokee with the VM old-fashioned "grunt-and-fart" 2.5 litre TD engine.
A good work-horse, but not a very nice engine.

No doubt that it offers improvement in noise and in performance.
RE: MPG ... I wouldn't like to say ... I've never really noticed any discernable difference.

Cheers
Johnsco

Thanks for the tip re buying it from their depot.
I work in Bradford which is just round the corner from Brighouse.

Question?

Is it ok to use in my ML270CDi, keep reading post's that say DO NOT USE in a Merc, why I would of thought that the additive is manufactured in accordance with even the most modern tech engine.
If its ok then I will give it a go.

Regards

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom