Millers & Forte Fuel Additives/Cleaners Do Work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
6, months ago I was booked for an "A" Service with Ian Walker at 124 Works.
I went to set off to Ian's place and my car (showing 1.6 gallons of fuel) would not start.
I called Ian who correctly advised me to add some more diesel and the car did indeed start after doing so.

The car had always smoked badly and the fumes were awful.

Ian added a dose of Fort'e Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment, soon after which the car ceased smoking and was an improved performer.

I had also been using Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 (now replaced by this product) which did reduce the smoking and quieten the car and also add a little extra kick, but it was the For'te that finally nailed the smoking problem. (I still use millers though).

My car has covered 141,000 miles and I posted this because (of the non-starting until more fuel was added) it was highly likely that I required a new fuel strainer.

Below are some pictures of blocked strainers.

A picture of AANDYY'S fuel strainer.

AANDYYStrainer.jpg

And Steptoe's Strainer.
SteptoeStrainer.jpg

A couple of days ago I replaced the fuel strainer on my W210 and I expected to find something akin to the images above - I was quite looking forward to seeing how bad my old strainer would be.

However, as the images below show, my old strainer was as clean as the new part.

NEW STRAINER. OLD STRAINER.
Photo085.jpg

I'm sure that the clean condition of the old strainer can be attributed to the Fort'e & Millers products, so IMHO they are effective.

I just thought I'd post this as information for anyone considering any of the above mentioned products.

Thanks to Silversaloon for the tip on sourcing the 22mm hex key. :thumb:

Last edited:
The forte stuff does seem pretty good in general, when I had my old discovery and the landrover indie that I took it to used to use the forte injector cleaner stuff to try and fix vehicles that failed the emissions test by pouring a bottle straight into the fuel filter (Diesel) and running it, it works a treat but I am by no means telling anybody with a mercedes to try it :)

Forté additives

Having come across this thread - I'd like to comment on the fact that three months ago I was fortunate enough to be at the Forté UK offices (through work), and have spoken at some length to their Technical Manager about their products.

I have to say that I started my meeting as a cynic (my general attitude is that many in the car industry are merely selling 'snake-oil')

However, have witnessed first hand some of the development work they have undertaken - and the lengths they go to to ensure their products work - I became very impressed.

I have since used their Injector cleaner on my C240 (petrol) - and have to say the difference in performance was marked!

I use Millers DPS4 in both my diesel cars and after some months of use I can honestly say I have noticed improvements in driveability and noise reduction. No mpg gains as fas as I can tell, but both cars feel quicker and smoother than before use!

where can you buy Forte products?

Forte website sells only to trade

I too rate the Millers - never used the Forte product.
BUT I think the condition of your fuel strainer is probably more down to the fact that you have not used veg oil. I too replaced the strainer in my car - at about 200,000 miles and it looked just like yours - there was nothing in it - not worth replacing.
The gunge in those first two has come from veg oil is my bet. Millers or Forte would not have helped.

And... what is the treatment doing to avoid that goop... dissolving it and running it though the engine?

where can you buy Forte products?

Forte website sells only to trade

Try phoning round some local motor factor companies there must be someone local to you that sells it.

I too rate the Millers - never used the Forte product.
BUT I think the condition of your fuel strainer is probably more down to the fact that you have not used veg oil. I too replaced the strainer in my car - at about 200,000 miles and it looked just like yours - there was nothing in it - not worth replacing.
The gunge in those first two has come from veg oil is my bet. Millers or Forte would not have helped.

steptoe's strainer had only ever forecourt diesel through it. He mentions this in his thread.
Posting from my phone at the moment but will find the link to his post later.

Why did you change the strainer if it's as good as new? Mind you never heard of one before - does my car have one?If so where? What is the official "change timings" as per MB?

I suspect he bought on the assumption that his strainer would look like that when removed. And a surprise when removed to find it wasn't!!!

And that was exactly my experience - I had seen all these photos of blocked up strainers and thought after 14 yrs and 200k miles mine must need changing - but not a bit of it - in fact I nearly put the old one back.
And that is probably why it is not a service item.
To get goo like that is terrible - the diesel must be contaminated from soemwhere.

I suspect he bought on the assumption that his strainer would look like that when removed. And a surprise when removed to find it wasn't!!!

Correct.

Because of the non-starting problem I imagined perhaps just a small window at the top of the strainer to be gunge-free. In a way I was disappointed to find a clean strainer.

My thinking is that the strainer must have been blocked to cause starvation of fuel and that the Fort'e product dissolved the blockage.

Where is this strainer...please...

On your 210 estate it is on the underside of your fuel tank.

You'll need a 22mm allen key or similar to undo the strainer.

Photo105-1.jpg

Photo074.jpg

You can buy a 22mm hex on ebay for £3.

Next question ( thanks for your previous answer ), do I need to empty the tank first? Hope that's not a stupid question. I ran low on fuel to-day. The car started after a few more cranks than is usual, but once I'd put fuel in it took quite a few attempts before it sprang into life.

I ran to approx 1.8 gallons. I budgeted to catch around that amount in the container but because the car was tilted (higher at the rear) not much fuel came out at all - probably 1/3rd of a gallon.

I had a gallon of diesel on standby but didn't need this.

The part is £14.00 from your local MB dealer, unless you want my old one free of charge.

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom