Millers fuel add out of date ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc estate

MB Enthusiast
Car
C Class w205 220d AMG Premium line 2016
I bought some Millers diesel fuel additive, as recommended by some people on here. Looked on bottle and it says don't use after the date is up which is a couple of months ago. What do you recon still is it ok to use, theres no mould growing on it, do you think its like a supermarket date??? Just to get you to use it up ???

I have no idea, but keep in mind that with medicin for example in the vast majority of cases the issue is that it loses its effectiveness over time, not that it causes harm if used after the expiry date.

At any rate I don't think it's an exact science and I doubt it goes bad on the expiry date at midnight, but even so I don't think it will cause harm. If it was my car, I would just use it, but this is not based on any sepcific knowledge of the product.

I use the stuff from 5 litre cans.
I've never noticed a use-by date.
I'll have to have a look on my can.
:confused:

MILLERS SAFETY DATA SHEET YIELDS
2-ETHYL HEXYL NITRATE A CETANE ENHANCER 50-70% https://www.lubrizol.com/FuelAdditives/Products/PureCetaneImprover.pdf
COMPONENT 72248---------SURFACTANT- LUBRICANT????30-50%
D- LIMONE - A TERPENE TO MAKE IT SMELL NICE 1%
http://www.millersoils.co.uk/pdf/safety/6204.pdf

A few comments- this 2-ethyl -hexyl nitrate is nasty stuff so don't go pouring it down any drains. It also decomposes to nitric acid in the presence of water so it shelf life might depend on how well the container its in is sealed.
Chances are the stuff is OK if its been stored correctly. Your best source of info would be a technical guy at Millers themselves- they will know why they put a shelf life on it.

Poor stock rotation, I'd take it back and ask for a refund or replacement.

Thanks for the info, thats what you get buying from ebay and not checking for dates, i will get on to Millers and post the outcome, thanks everyone.

If the product has been kept sealed in its opaque bottle its shelf life is good for over 2 years so dont worry about it being out of date, there is no use by date on the 5l cans which makes sense.

Its not that bad a stuff theres worse out there but as grober says if you dont use it be very careful of how you dispose of it, but I would use it no problem it wont cause you any issues, I suspect the reason there is a sell by date on the 500ml bottles is over time it will degrade in the presence of UV

Ive been using the biotane sold on ebay mixing it at 1ml per litre of fuel also adding a little 2 stroke oil for good measure and the difference in the way the engine runs is unreal.

Night and day difference to using diesel with no additive and in my opinion makes the engine smoother at idle far better than the millers stuff used.

Millars got back to me today and said its NOT a problem the date on the bottle is the manufactures date and will be ok for a year, PHEW, made me panic after putting £90 worth of diesel in. Thanks for all the info all, Have a good weekend..

I too want to buy some Miller's but wasn't sure of the shelf life date. This is what they replied:-
Thanks for your enquiry. We advise to use the product within 12 months from date of purchase and the dosage rate is 1ml of additive per litre of fuel. If it’s for your passenger car, it would be more advisable to go with the 500ml container as it has a dosage chamber and you would be more likely to use up a 500ml bottle within 12 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom