Millie my dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
Posh cars and dogs don't go together, I will not put her in a cage, have you any ideas for me!!

Always had this issue, big old German Shepard and a springer. I've tried numerous things as like you I refuse to cage them. I always have black carpet for one thing, leather seats can be cream as they wipe off. But I bought a boot buddy. they are deep and pure plastic. My German Shepard is getting old now and sadly Sh*t in my range rover. As I had the boot buddy I picked it up and wiped it out. No dramas.

So I'd say take a gander at boot buddies, can't advise much else I'm afraid

Or you could see if MB do a deep boot liner for the cls estate if that's what you drive.

You haven't said if you need to retain use of the back seat and what size of dog.

Whilst it is technically a cage- For longer trips, we have used one of these for over fourteen years Dog Bag,Pet Tube,Jet Set,USB (small animal carrier),Marsupack,Pet Carriers,Home Comfort We use the larger one across the rear seats…when travelling, we need the boot more than the rear seats but the tube can easily be adjusted to ⅔ size for a single passenger.

The base is waterproof, the top section is mesh and all we do is put an old blanket underneath just in case.

Last edited:
I use a waterproof seat protector, covers the two rear seats and centre console of my CLS. It extendsup the back of the front seats as well. I use a thick blanket underneath.

My Labrador loves riding with us!

Posh cars and dogs don't go together, I will not put her in a cage, have you any ideas for me!!
Why not? Travelling with an unrestrained pet in the car is breaking the law. There are plenty of solutions available to safely contain pets and animals in transit. Safer for you, Millie and other road users too.

There's always one, isn't there? You're right, of course, but...

There's always one, isn't there? You're right, of course, but...
But what?

If we knew more about Millie it would help. Is she big, small, bouncy, calm etc? There are cages, tubes such as GVM has illustrated, harnesses that clip into seat belt buckles...

Last edited:
I have two rather huge Siberian Huskies. Their favourite environment is wet mud. I also have three Mercedes Estate Cars (method in my madness). I use the OEM rubber trays in the boot and keep the OEM Dog Guard up all the time. I also do not like cages or caging dogs. Over the years I have had two pairs of Huskie's. In both pairs, it has always been the case that one dog likes to sit up and watch the world go past, while the other will lie down and go to sleep. There is no apparent methodology in this, it's just how they do it. A Dyson or VAX hoover is must. I got the dog to write this post for me.

Last edited:
I use a waterproof seat protector, covers the two rear seats and centre console of my CLS. It extendsup the back of the front seats as well. I use a thick blanket underneath.

My Labrador loves riding with us!

Although we use the tube for longer journeys (so the dog can move around), for everyday use, we have the same idea…

WATERPROOF Car Rear Back Seat Cover Pet Dog Cat Protector Hammock Mat Liner MAKS | eBay

…in combination with a harness and restraint (training lead looped over headrests). We don't tend to use the hammock arrangement i.e. put it over the front seat headrests because our puppy is only six months old and likes the secure feeling of his bed and being able to look out the front/see us!

It's a simple idea; just slips over the headrests without needing removal or straps and fitted/removed in under a minute…fits out Range Rover so should have no issues with a saloon/estate car.

Yes, out Lab wears a harness attached to the seat belt, simply clips in. Allows him to turn around, lie down etc.

We use a hammock off eBay that fixes to the front and rear headrest, it completely covers the back seats. There's opening's with zippers so you can fasten the seat belts. We restrain the dog with a harness and a lead that has a seatbelt fastening attachment, just clip it in.

Sorry guy's thought I had put my" westie" Millie, a little dog with attitude

Thanks all, I have always had her clipped to a seat belt I bought off ebay, but in this new car with polished wood and lots of leather will be looking for a bag now.....

We went for the estate / suv boot method. Have used a (large) cage in the past, at least in part so that I can pack the boot around him when away.

Current cars are a little too short (plus the bloody thing rattled) so don't bother and go with dog guard. Because of his cage time, he's learnt to be well behaved and luckily usually remains pretty clean.

Some good advice, obviously lots of different ways of keeping a dog and the car (and the other occupants!) safe and undamaged.

Regarding putting dogs in "cages" ... they don't view them the same way that we do. If we leave a crate open anywhere you'll generally find one of our dogs curled up asleep inside it. It's basically a 'den' where they feel secure.

They have other uses too though :D

Lol, dogs seem happy and the little guy is loving being in there.....

You haven't said if you need to retain use of the back seat and what size of dog.

Whilst it is technically a cage- For longer trips, we have used one of these for over fourteen years Dog Bag,Pet Tube,Jet Set,USB (small animal carrier),Marsupack,Pet Carriers,Home Comfort We use the larger one across the rear seats…when travelling, we need the boot more than the rear seats but the tube can easily be adjusted to ⅔ size for a single passenger.

The base is waterproof, the top section is mesh and all we do is put an old blanket underneath just in case.

Another advantage I can see to that device is that it gives your pet some degree of restraint in the event of the vehicle being involved in a collision , rather than the poor animal being launched within the vehicle or ejected from it .

Lol, dogs seem happy and the little guy is loving being in there.....

Yep we started him off young :)

He's lived with a houseful of collies since he was born so he probably thought he was one :D

Some good advice, obviously lots of different ways of keeping a dog and the car (and the other occupants!) safe and undamaged.

Regarding putting dogs in "cages" ... they don't view them the same way that we do. If we leave a crate open anywhere you'll generally find one of our dogs curled up asleep inside it. It's basically a 'den' where they feel secure.

They have other uses too though :D

I believe the police use something similar for their 'customers' .:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom