Millionaire's plan for mega basement hit by £825,000 affordable housing levy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a basement build, big or small it's still a basement. So what does it matter...

Months, possibly years of noise and other inconvenience to neighbours; potential impact to the water table; potential impact on surrounding properties; risk that the property itself could collapse during construction. There are many reasons to oppose basement developments.

I recall there was a mini-demonstration against them in Duke of York Square a few years ago, with the aim of getting RBKC to take a more rigorous approach when considering applications for basement developments. It had some limited success for a while, but now there seem to be more of them than ever on the go.

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want to live underground like a mole.

It's OK to have a wine cellar, perhaps even a gym if one must, but anything else sounds odd.

It may increase the value of the property, but then why would a potential buyer pay more for a bunker?

While some basement developments are used for extra living space, these multi-level schemes are generally used to liberate space for luxuries such as swimming pools, home cinemas, staff accommodation and underground parking. The 'living' is still done on the ground and first floors.

As Mocas highlights it's a vanity project. All that work for a swimming pool, crap sized too.

It's another example of the f@&k you world we live in. Just because someone has the money does not necessarily make it right.

Mocas: Planning permission was granted so, I think another thread is really required for the pro's & con's of actually building basement developments as I understood this thread was about the levy imposed as part of the granted permission.

So a piece of paper makes everything ok. Chamberlain had one of those; that worked out well. We all saw a great dossier that proved WMD's could be launched in 45 minutes. It still does not make it right.

Oh, the dramatics!

I suggest you read the my post again.

So a piece of paper makes everything ok. Chamberlain had one of those; that worked out well. We all saw a great dossier that proved WMD's could be launched in 45 minutes. It still does not make it right.

It doesn't make it right? But what exactly makes it wrong to do these digs?

Not sure I follow.. bloke wants to dig up his own cellar.... why would this be 'right'.... or 'wrong'?

I understand the arguments regarding the impact on the neighbours and the environment.

But other than that... had he bought a McLaren (or two) instead, this would be OK?

Mocas: Planning permission was granted so, I think another thread is really required for the pro's & con's of actually building basement developments as I understood this thread was about the levy imposed as part of the granted permission.

The reason it made the news in the first place is because this is (I understand) the first time such a levy has been applied to what is ostensibly the redevelopment of a private residence. It appears to represent a new approach by RBKC to appease residents' concerns by being able to claim that some good will come of it. On the other hand, the developer may have volunteered to pay it in order to oil the wheels of the planning process. It can be difficult to get to the bottom of how planning decisions of this kind are made.

Only to illustrate the point. Planning rarely seems to look at the whole, its required to look at the individual. So we have rampant development and then slowly wake up to the end effect. Building on flood plains whilst we see our weather change and finding those one in a hundred year floods turns into one every ten years.

As for the levy I think it's far to small

The reason it made the news in the first place is because this is (I understand) the first time such a levy has been applied to what is ostensibly the redevelopment of a private residence. It appears to represent a new approach by RBKC to appease residents' concerns by being able to claim that some good will come of it. On the other hand, the developer may have volunteered to pay it in order to oil the wheels of the planning process. It can be difficult to get to the bottom of how planning decisions of this kind are made.

''Millionaire's plan for mega basement hit by £825,000 affordable housing levy''

As I pointed out earlier I understood we discussing the above headline. And that levy is being enforced simply due to the size of the development.

''Planning permission was granted on condition that the home owners, Reade Griffith, founder of Belgravia-based Polygon Investment Partners, and his wife Elizabeth, make the £825,000 payment as a “Section 106” agreement, levied on any new space over 8,611 square feet and ring-fenced for affordable housing.''

If this thread is about something else I'll gladly bow out now.

Only to illustrate the point. Planning rarely seems to look at the whole, its required to look at the individual. So we have rampant development and then slowly wake up to the end effect. Building on flood plains whilst we see our weather change and finding those one in a hundred year floods turns into one every ten years.

As for the levy I think it's far to small

I doubt having a basement will lead to the great flood. However, there are a lot of chips on a lot of shoulders requiring salt and vinegar.

''Millionaire's plan for mega basement hit by £825,000 affordable housing levy''

As I pointed out earlier I understood we discussing the above headline. And that levy is being enforced simply due to the size of the development.

''Planning permission was granted on condition that the home owners, Reade Griffith, founder of Belgravia-based Polygon Investment Partners, and his wife Elizabeth, make the £825,000 payment as a “Section 106” agreement, levied on any new space over 8,611 square feet and ring-fenced for affordable housing.''

If this thread is about something else I'll gladly bow out now.

Threads can and do go off tangentially...do you think this should be moderated?

I suppose it comes down to the definition of "new space". This has traditionally referred to new-build housing developments, which are almost invariably undertaken on a commercial basis. I'm not aware of it having been applied to the redevelopment of an existing private residence before, regardless of size, and there have been some quite extensive ones in RBKC and elsewhere.

No offence Mocas but so what? The levy is for social housing due to some 'Section 106'. Nothing got to do neighbours etc. End of.

I tell you one thing, it would be sad if the guy reduces the basement size and it does not fall under the 106, the loser is social housing. The neighbours will still have to put up with the development. But, I can fully understand if the guy does reduce the size as it's ransom money as I already said.

Last edited:
Is 'Social Housing' the same as 'Affordable Housing'?

Is 'Social Housing' the same as 'Affordable Housing'?

I'd presume so considering the context we used it in. But in general terms it's a good question as I'm unsure but reckon it is, never gave it any though being candid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom