Millions of motorists to be hit by green parking taxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
"The rich are OK as they have driveways. Poorer families tend to have larger, older cars and are more likely to park on the street. This is a tax on ownership which does not reflect the environmental impact of the vehicle.
"Someone with a small car parked on a private driveway doing a high mileage will pay nothing but pump out more CO2 that a poorer family with a people carrier doing low mileage.
"This is socially inequitable and total greenwash.

Sp!ke won't be very pleased in Richman if he hasn't got a private drive. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...torists-to-be-hit-by-green-parking-taxes.html

It kinds of defeats the purpose. As they say parking permit. A car parked is not polluting anything.
You are already paying for polluting while driving, with the VED and the fuel duty.
Now you have to pay when not polluting

Luckily, parking is not a problem where I live... No permits and no space problems as the whole area is a no through route.

Public transport sucks though so car ownership is pretty essential.

As Recycled pointed out though, the charge is for people who leave their car at home and use greener forms of transport. If you commute to work in your car everyday, you dont need a permit.

Astonishing green con. It's like the fees for parking at train stations....they are trying to do the right thing and commute via public transport!

UK is shooting it's self in the foot, IMO the way things are heading there will be a recession soon and it will hit us so hard we wont know what's hit us.

Just my 2p's worth ;)

UK is shooting it's self in the foot, IMO the way things are heading there will be a recession soon and it will hit us so hard we wont know what's hit us.

Just my 2p's worth ;)

Recession soon? Wake up it had been happening since Aug last year.

Where have you been? :p

I don't want to stick my head in the sand or anything, but the sun is out, I've got a job, my driveway is being laid today, have just got an iphone to play with and the spot on my cheek has gone....everything is just fine.

I'm glad I have a driveway and don't live in London; the overcrowded, car-hating communist capital of the world :bannana:

I live in London and have a shared driveway. Its great, well London is great, the driveway is a bit pikey though and needs a good weed..

Ade

IMO the way things are heading there will be a recession soon .............

Are you stuck in 2004 ?
:bannana:

Astonishing green con. It's like the fees for parking at train stations....they are trying to do the right thing and commute via public transport!

I try to justify driving a big v8 5l engine by taking a short drive to the station every day and then continue my commute by train, if they will increase my parking cost i will be seriously p@~%d off.

I try to justify driving a big v8 5l engine by taking a short drive to the station every day and then continue my commute by train, if they will increase my parking cost i will be seriously p@~%d off.

Thing is, your level of pollution over the course of a year is probably no worse or even less than the regular car commuter. You then get punished on tax for the higher POTENTIAL pollution you create. Then, welcome aboard one of the most expensive rail systems in the world!...."CAN YOU MOVE DOWN PLEASE, WE CAN'T GET ON"

I need a drink...and I'm teetotal :rolleyes:

But railway station car parks and trains are not run by the same commercial companies. Railway carparks are actually fairly cheap for 24hr parking.

But railway station car parks and trains are not run by the same commercial companies. Railway carparks are actually fairly cheap for 24hr parking.

True, but the culture is charge charge charge

Isn't that how companies make money.? Remember, these are private companies.

Isn't that how companies make money.? Remember, these are private companies.

I guess. It's just that whatever you do, you are charged, fined, or legislated every step of the way. Essentially, I get my wallet out far too often for my liking! ;)

Its worse if your a scotsman.

Just park at your local Hospital when you take a train.....

:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom