Mini old and new thought it was quite an interesting picture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Drove past a local garage near us today and spotted these two Minis for sale, look at the size difference.

Wife also commented how much the 'old' mini was compared to the 'new' one....I explained it the 'classic..ness' of it.

I love minis past my test in one and drove my early years in them, learning to use all the 45bhp to its best :)

Anyway...look at these :)

photo1-2.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

That's bizarre - earlier today Nat and I were having a discussion about the sheer difference in size between old and new Minis so thanks for the great comparison picture

Doesn't the 'new' mini look ugly when sat next to a proper Mini?

Yes...but that was really a rhetorical question wasn't it! ;)

the original is a design icon which will still be admired in another fifty year. the young pup will have gone the way of other Eurobox's of the era and be forgotten

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As kids whenever we called someone ugly, my father asked us "Have you looked in the mirror lately?" .......:D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As kids whenever we called someone ugly, my father asked us "Have you looked in the mirror lately?" .......:D

Does this mean that you prefer the 1 Series BMW, err I mean new Mini then?

I could get 6 old minis in my garage...but only 3 new ones!!

Aha, time for me to share my prevously undisclosed claim to fame.

In a previous life I ran the project team that built the very first "New Mini" prototypes in the world, designed to replicate the original Mini driving position.

See, you just never know who frequents these forums do you? :thumb:

In a previous life I ran the project team that built the very first "New Mini" prototypes in the world, designed to replicate the original Mini driving position.

that's a fail then :eek:...your new one has a considerably higher driving position:D

Aha, time for me to share my prevously undisclosed claim to fame.

See, you just never know who frequents these forums do you? :thumb:
Just one question John;

Where did it all go wrong?:rock:

Just one question John;

Where did it all go wrong?:rock:

I can't disagree Lee, though I can tell you that by the time BMW took the helm it was virtually fully engineered by the Rover boys and it pains me greatly to hear it described as the BMW Mini.

After years of rebadged Honda's we had high hopes that BMW would do to Rover what VW did to Skoda, however, they just kept Mini and Land Rover (for a while) and didn't invest in the rest.

I drive past the Longbridge site most days and it's all gone now, except the Chinese bit.

Sad really, whatever your view on the cars.

Having said all of the above, I left in 2000, long before it went **** up and it was BMW money that funded my (not insignificant) voluntary redundancy - what a hypocrite eh?

I can't disagree Lee, though I can tell you that by the time BMW took the helm it was virtually fully engineered by the Rover boys and it pains me greatly to hear it described as the BMW Mini.

After years of rebadged Honda's we had high hopes that BMW would do to Rover what VW did to Skoda, however, they just kept Mini and Land Rover (for a while) and didn't invest in the rest.

I drive past the Longbridge site most days and it's all gone now, except the the Chinese bit.

Sad really, whatever your view on the cars.

Having said all of the above, I left in 2000, long before it went **** up and it was BMW money that funded my (not insignificant) voluntary redundancy - what a hypocrite eh?

Don't be too hard on yourself John, at least they didn't make you drive a B*W....

It's a strange old world. They make Mars bars smaller and tell us it's the "best ever", and they make cars bigger and call them the Mini.:dk:

There is nothing to compare the orignal design Mr Cooper must be turning in his grave now !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom