MINI One R56

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
my sister is thinking of getting a MINI for her daughter. I think I have convinced them that a One would be a good bet, something like this:
ONE HATCH

are these cars reliable? Common issues?

I bought an R56 Mini about a year ago and I love it. From my research, the problems they're known for are:

1. Lunching the timing gear. I think it's more of a problem on the higher powered models (the One is kicking out 98 BHP compared to 190 in my Cooper S) as obviously everything is more stressed. That said, the early R56s had the N12 engine which was replaced around 2010 with the N14, which is apparently much better. The one you've shown will have the N14 so should be OK but listen for the "death rattle" on start up.
2. Apparently the N14 is more susceptible to fuel pump problems, but not sure how widespread that is.
3. Clutches. Don't think they go that often, but they're a real sod to get to when they do - front subframe has to come off and all sorts. As a result, it's an arm and a leg - budget for £2K at main dealer rates.

The only problem I've had with mine was an oil pressure regulator switch that went ping, causing it to tell me there was no pressure! It was lying, in fact, but I didn't dare drive it so had to get it trailered in to be fixed. :(

Find a good one and it will put a big smile on your face as they are such fun to drive - even my wife, who has no interest in cars, has commented on how much she likes it. High praise indeed.

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom