minor bump, advice on how to proceed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NDFR

SUPPORTER
Car
C320 CDI
So today I was reversing out of our property onto a relatively quiet estate road.

Our garage is situated at the back of the property and the reverse requires you to line up straight in order to reverse alongside the house to the road, the other side of the drive is a wooden fence, the gap is fairly narrow and requires concentration.

Today I lined up straight and a glance in the rearview mirror showed the road to be clear directly behind me. I then relied on door mirrors as I reversed down the drive. As I approached the pathway I glanced left and right up the road and as it was clear reversed onto the road.

At some point as I was reversing a taxi had stopped to drop a passenger at the house opposite directly behind me. I reversed into the taxi front passenger side wing causing relatively minor damage I would think. My car appears undamaged.

On inspection of the damage to the taxi I noticed the front tyre was almost completely bold. I photographed this and I then swapped details with the driver and spoke to his company asking them to contact me in an hour as I was on my way to the doctors. I requested the driver returned to base to let his boss take a look.

Now clearly with a bold tyre the taxi should not have been on the road, however the collision was I guess my fault entirely.

I have protected no claims bonus so to that degree I have little to worry about.

How to proceed? What advice can you give? At this stage I have not reported to my insurance.

Thanks.

How much do you think the damage would be to repair? 150? I'd offer him this to settle it, I bet he'll accept... He'll then live with the damage and consider the 150 a bonus.

What was his car? A LTI, old Almera or a W212?

Always report it to your insurers, it's almost certainly part of your obligation under their T&Cs

Reversing onto a public road (no matter how quiet it usually is) is never a good idea and is contrary to the advice given in the Highway Code.

How much do you think the damage would be to repair? 150? I'd offer him this to settle it, I bet he'll accept... He'll then live with the damage and consider the 150 a bonus.

What was his car? A LTI, old Almera or a W212?

£200/300 maximum I should think.

Let the insurance companies sort it out, it what you pay your premiums for!

What on earth has his tyre (bald or otherwise) got to do with it?

Why photograph it or even mention it on here? :confused:

What on earth has his tyre (bald or otherwise) got to do with it?

Why photograph it or even mention it on here? :confused:

Because in photographing the damage I photographed a bald tyre. I'm not trying to avoid liability.

Because in photographing the damage I photographed a bald tyre. I'm not trying to avoid liability.

Okay - it's just that you mentioned the tyre and fault in the same sentence. I just didn't see the relevance of you mentioning the condition of his tyre? It's not as though he's driven into you.

It could have been anything that you hit considering that you didn't see it - car/person/dog?

Bearing in mind you were the one that hit someone else's car and not the other way round I wouldn't judge them or their tyre.

You've taken photos of their car but then not reported it to your insurers? :eek:

Who's the bad guy here...?:ban:

So today I was reversing out of our property onto a relatively quiet estate road.

I have protected no claims bonus so to that degree I have little to worry about.

Thanks.

That will not stop your insurance company increasing the premiums. IMO protected PNCB is a con. You will still get your percentage discount from the policy price, but it WILL be a higher price if you use your insurance for the claim. Plus I am sure you will have an excess which could cover the cost of repair if it is as small as you say.

Sue them, sue everyone.

Okay - it's just that you mentioned the tyre and fault in the same sentence. I just didn't see the relevance of you mentioning the condition of his tyre? It's not as though he's driven into you.

It could have been anything that you hit considering that you didn't see it - car/person/dog?

Bearing in mind you were the one that hit someone else's car and not the other way round I wouldn't judge them or their tyre.

You've taken photos of their car but then not reported it to your insurers? :eek:

Who's the bad guy here...?:ban:

I'll hand myself in, in the morning.

Man up and face the music. You just drove into someone else's damn car FFS.
You're lucky he didnt get out and plant you!
Bald tyre.....what has this got to do with it. Perhaps he can't afford to replace it because he's in debt paying higher premiums on previous hit and runs.......

Man up and face the music. You just drove into someone else's damn car FFS.
You're lucky he didnt get out and plant you!
Bald tyre.....what has this got to do with it. Perhaps he can't afford to replace it because he's in debt paying higher premiums on previous hit and runs.......

Crikey you must be having a bad day.

Did you see post #7 ?

Bald tyre.....what has this got to do with it.

Nothing, I did mention reversing down my driveway too, that also had no bearing on the incident either. I was simply 'painting a picture'.

The advice I seek is whether to settle privately rather than affecting insurance.

Tbf if its got a Bald tyre the car shouldn't be on the road carrying passengers or not. That said it still doesn't excuse the other.

The tyre can be bald though on the outer edges as longs as its above 1.6mm in the centre 3/4's and there are no cords showing as i understand it.

If you can settle it without going through the insurer and its a reasonable price why not? I've done this before and it worked out ok. It was a few years back mind.

Last edited:
That will not stop your insurance company increasing the premiums. IMO protected PNCB is a con. You will still get your percentage discount from the policy price, but it WILL be a higher price if you use your insurance for the claim. Plus I am sure you will have an excess which could cover the cost of repair if it is as small as you say.

Protected NCB will at least keep the same %discount, even if it's on an increased premium. So instead of loosing a couple of years and dropping to i.e. 30% you keep the 70% Got to be worth it....

....I did mention reversing down my driveway too, that also had no bearing on the incident either. I was simply 'painting a picture'.

It did have a bearing surely, had you driven forward you would have seen the taxi ??

Well from my own well publicised smash. The driver in that incident reversed out his drive.

The Police took a dim view as did the insurance. News to me. The rule is (apparently) Reverse in, drive out. If you do not and you hit somebody, you will deemed by the insurance to be at fault.

As stated in the Highway Code

Condemn this man!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Condemn this man!!! :rolleyes:

The taxi driver or the OP? :rolleyes:

Now, were those bald tyres winter or summer tyres? Was he on his phone (whilst parked up) etc?

If he was to stick a claim in for damage and ask for a replacement car (for taxi purposes) this could be quite interesting :eek:

Do you think the taxi driver has logged onto taxidriverclub forum and posted about some maniac who reversed into the road without looking and damaged his car?

Lucky it was only the wing he hit and not the passenger getting out..:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom