minor damage insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottydog112

Car
Gla
Hi folks. im a new member to the forum. was wondering if any of you have taken out the minor damage insurance through the MB dealers..im thinking of doing it , got 30 days to make my mind up..would appreciate any thoughts and experiences you have had..thanks

Not worth the money in my opinion! The damage has to fit into a template, several areas are not included, bonnet, for example if I remember correctly, and there is an excess of £25 on every claim. Far better to use a smart repairer by the event, which is what would happen anyway through MDI. Ask yourself the question, "How many smart repairs would I get for £300 and how many have I needed in the last 3 years?"

I foolishly took it out in lieu of a discount on another car and later tried to cancel after a serious accident only to discover that my policy hadn't been registered with MB Insurance Services. However, the dealership concerned gave me a full refund instead of the partial refund that I would have had if it had been registered.

Ernie

thanks for your opinion..sounds like a bit of a con actually. think I will just use chips away or other body shop services if and when I need to. cheers

I have had SMART Insurance for the 2-1/2 years I have had my car. Try and catch the scratches withing the 30 day reporting window. The first two years were ok as the guy coming out would do any other spots he noticed as he looked over the car.
We are in the middle of a new claim at the moment and they are being so picky !! said there were too many items needing repair and the total was mounted up beyond a £500 ceiling. Turns out each scratch is costed at £123.

A previous scratch the guy repainted the WHOLE passenger door. So this time we have to choose and argue with them because they wanted to repair some stone chips on the bumper (plastic) and leave a scratch on a rear wing (down to bare metal).

Seems they they have a policy of a sort of quota per policy and once that is used up their efforts dwindle.

I'll not be renewing or taking it out if I buy another car.

Hope that helps?

regards
Howie

Last edited:
Chips away! I have used them a couple of times over the years where I had something noticeable, great job, some of the other very minor stuff you realistically have to put up with.

I took out smart insurance from the dealer i bought my car from and it's the best £299 I have spent on a car. First the wife reversed into another car damage was not massive but I didn't think the smart insurane would cover it. Got quoted £200 to repair the bumper. Chanced my arm with smart repairs and they did it no questions asked. £10 excess paid. Since then I have over a 3 year period had every panal less bonnet and roof done. Car looks like new. What's more got to know the blokes quite well and got them to do other stuff to the bonnet and roof for free while they were waiting for the paint to dry. Even got a small tube of paint and polish from 1. Tea, biscuits and a friendly approach works wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom