Minor numberplate issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldskoolflash

Car
2009 C220 CDI S204
I noticed that the screws front and back had no caps on them so I bought a set from Halfords at the weekend but when I went to replace them I noticed they are bolts not screws. They bold directly through the plate to 4 plastic gromits behind, the yellow and white caps I have bought are two small for the bolt heads? Is this standard to bold the plates on (x4) and leave the bolt heads exposed? It doesn't seem very Merecede Benz to me....

If you try and remove them you might get a surprise... mine in the 124 weren't simple bolts as I suspected but rivlock rivets and a real pain to get out because you need to remove trim and hold the backs.

Take a look around at a few mercs, you'll see the telltale four bolt heads on almost all of them, at least on the rear plate.

Thanks KD, i'll have a nose around. Mine has 4 bolts in the front too. The previous owner had private plates on the car, I assumed he'd reinstated the original plates using any old bolts he had lying around, but it seems not!

If you try and remove them you might get a surprise... mine in the 124 weren't simple bolts as I suspected but rivlock rivets and a real pain to get out because you need to remove trim and hold the backs.

BTW - I managed to remove the rear bolts without any issues, I haven't tried the front...

Normal MB practice is to leave the screw heads exposed. At least thats how all ours have been. The quality of the screws used is superior to the usual Halfords ones that corrode.
As an aside to this if you need new plates get your dealer to make them up. Good quality at a lower price than Halfords etc and they will have the holes in exactly the right places.

As an aside to this if you need new plates get your dealer to make them up. Good quality at a lower price than Halfords etc and they will have the holes in exactly the right places.

That is a good tip, and who'd have thought MB would be cheaper than Halfords!

Yep. I recently had 3 new plates made up for the 124. The rear plate went AWOL whilst in the long term car park(field) at Pisa airport. Less than £30 for 3 from MB Gatwick.

Yep. I recently had 3 new plates made up for the 124. The rear plate went AWOL whilst in the long term car park(field) at Pisa airport. Less than £30 for 3 from MB Gatwick.

That's a pretty good price ..Halfrauds were looking for somewhere between £15 - £18 per plate last time I inquired about having one made up

Yep I noticed them as well .. in the last month or so, the price of a pair of plates on ebay has come down from around £20 a pair

I did away with bolts/screws altogether, the ones on cars I bought were always corroded and looked awful. Bought some surrounds that bolt on, then number plate fits in snugly with a few adhesive pads to hold in place. Used this method on last two cars, looks neat. You'll find them on eBay.

effbee584-albums-misc-postings-picture7529-img-2365.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom