Minor stone chips on windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowpipe

Car
2019 E220d Cabrio
My E320 still has it's original windscreen after thirteen years, and consequently has picked up scores of very minor stone chips. None of them are large enough for the standard chip repair, but I would like to find a way to polish them out if it's possible.

Has anyone tried this or is it a non-starter?

I suspect a chip by its very nature, wouldn't polish out, but you could try jewellers rouge.

Thanks, thought that might be the case. I was hoping it wouldn't as we're talking really, really small marks.

You can't remove a scratch. All you can do is bring the surrounding material down to the level of the deepest part of the scratch, that's what "polishing out" is.

The problem you've got is glass is very hard and it's very difficult to polish it. You've got to grind away all the surrounding surface down to the chip's deepest penetration, and that's a lot of glass to remove even for a tiny chip, it also causes visual distortion as you've then effectively made lenses.
distorted%20glass.jpg

Very slight scratches can be a pain to polish out even with jewellers rouge or other cutting compounds and a machine, so a chip just isn't worth even attempting IMO.

You'd be best trying to fill it instead. You'll fill it with a resin that'll set just like glass (albeit not as hard) and it'll reduce it's appearance.

Crack Premium Repair Kit & Windscreen DIY Chip Windshield Auto Glass Wind Screen | eBay

Looks like I'll just have to wait for a biggie and fit a new windscreen then (which affects your insurance premium, found out the hard way a few years back).

Looks like I'll just have to wait for a biggie and fit a new windscreen then (which affects your insurance premium, found out the hard way a few years back).

Yes,it does effect your insurance premium, my wife found out the hard way too.
I was told if you can feel a scratch or chip with your fingernail then you can't polish them out of glass, I'm not a expert so might be wrong.

Does any one try this resin and saw great effect
thanks for sharing

Last edited:

I had a windscreen replacement and it only put £3 a year on mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insurance will not agree to swapping windscreen for simple stone chips. it would need to be cracked to be replaced under insurance.

Amo said:
Insurance will not agree to swapping windscreen for simple stone chips. it would need to be cracked to be replaced under insurance.
I had a windscreen replaced under insurance a few years ago even though it didn't have any cracks. I spoke to the nationwide windscreen company and asked off the record if they would do this, or if I'd be better off smashing the screen with a hammer. They advised me to let them replace a complete screen. All done with no problem and no issues with the insurance.

I had a windscreen replaced under insurance a few years ago even though it didn't have any cracks. I spoke to the nationwide windscreen company and asked off the record if they would do this, or if I'd be better off smashing the screen with a hammer. They advised me to let them replace a complete screen. All done with no problem and no issues with the insurance.

Fair enough if the supplier agreed to do it off the record (guess they make their money either way).

I'm surprised no one has come up with a product like the glazes for paint, assuming they as haven't as no one ever mentions it. You only need it to take the sharpness out of the edges of dings and scratches and all would be virtually invisible...just like it is with paint :)

I had a windscreen replacement and it only put £3 a year on mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had my windscreen replaced in 2014 and it made no difference to my insurance, although I had to pay a £100 excess.

If you're going to break your own windscreen so it can be replaced I wouldn't do it with a hammer. It'd be obvious it's been done with a hammer, and questions might be asked as to why you haven't reported this vandalism to the police. Also the shatter point would fire many tiny shards of glass into your interior.

I'd get in the car, put the seat as far up and forward as you can, then get your foot against the windscreen against a stone chip and push, the pressure should crack it, a long straight crack that'd simulate a natural crack from it's weak point, the chip.

I had my windscreen replaced almost 6 months ago after a trip from Lands End to John O'Groats. If your chips are smaller than a match stick head they will not replace the windscreen however if you have a few and they are in close proximity, I forget the exact measurement then they will advise replacement rather than a resin injection to repair. I suggest you call Auto Glass they can advise. I only had to pay a small amount as excess and my insurer (Aviva) confirmed that it would not affect my premiums. However my next premium did go up because I reported damage to my rocker panel which I ended up paying to repair for myself!

Last edited:
tried a DIY kit from Amazon on the daughters car, works quiet well but only lasts about 6 months but only about £10 and you can do loads.

If you're going to break your own windscreen so it can be replaced I wouldn't do it with a hammer. It'd be obvious it's been done with a hammer, and questions might be asked as to why you haven't reported this vandalism to the police. Also the shatter point would fire many tiny shards of glass into your interior.

I'd get in the car, put the seat as far up and forward as you can, then get your foot against the windscreen against a stone chip and push, the pressure should crack it, a long straight crack that'd simulate a natural crack from it's weak point, the chip.

Best method if you really want to do it is with a centre punch, the automatic ones are best, but you can create much the same effect with a big nail and hammer...no chips and should create a crack you can lean on to make the size you wish.

Or you could remember that Fraud carries a prison term! As far as i am aware a minor chipped windscreen does not carry this penalty!:doh:

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom