Mintex Discs and Pads for a W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ive got a set of mintex front pads on my W203 and they have been fine. they did squeal a bit when new but that went away after a while

rob

Purely out of interest, at £147 inc the postage, are they all that much cheaper than the main dealer?

Always worth checking them first, and I don't recall them being particularly expensive on 202/208 brake stuff. They might do you a bit of discount if you ask nicely too :)

Will

Or PM Franey ... he's good for discs and pads ( or will point you in the right direction )

I would strick with Euro and get ATE discs and pads from them as they are an OEM supplier to Mercedes. Mercedes will just brand ATE discs and pads as their own with mark up. Buy from Euro, it is not that expensive.

Its not worth buying cheap discs and pads to save just that litttle bit as the braking system is a very important on any car.

I dont have any experience with Mintex discs or pads...

As Howard talk to Franey he usually has some good deals, failing that I have OMP Pro discs and pads on my CLK 230 awesome stopping power much better than OEM or Mintex got them from HERE they were cheaper than I could get them in the trade, brilliant performance and no dust. If you are doing this mod you might as well put Goodridge braided hoses on while you are at it and get rid of the spongy pedal effect.

Just sent a PM, i will be adding the goodridge brake lines to, they really make the brakes feel a lot better. Cheers again chaps.

I would strick with Euro and get ATE discs and pads from them as they are an OEM supplier to Mercedes. Mercedes will just brand ATE discs and pads as their own with mark up. Buy from Euro, it is not that expensive.

Not always the case I'm afraid, I found MB to be cheaper for discs for my W202 when I had that than either ECP or GSF, plus you get a nice MB dealer receipt for the history file :thumb:

I wouldn't always assume MB to be more expensive until you've checked as often there's very little in it, or as in my case above, they can occasionally be cheaper (especially on consumable stuff)

Will

Air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs for mine are £80 from MB. For all bosch parts from Euro car parts its £37. I will give them a try but i think they will be more expensive.

Thanks for the recommendations chaps.

I use two German companies for the parts I sell, each one sells some parts that the other does not, so I have the ability to source from a good stock.
Both are fully certified with regards to quality and Block Exemption.

Quite rightly it is a good idea to check Mercedes parts prices at the start, I agree that the difference in price sometimes is such a small margin that it's a 'no brainer'.
However, there are some parts that are much much cheaper yet from the same supplier to Mercedes but without the motif etc.
Brake discs are supplied to Mercedes by such as Brembo, ATE etc. Some of the parts are 'blocked' as an agreement between MB and the supplier so MB therefore has the 'monopoly' and thus charges very high prices.
Further to this, Euro Car Parts are the sole UK importer for ATE so can virtually dictate what prices they charge. Very often the prices are more than MB which I just put down to pure greed.
The parts I sell are from Germany and as such have been thoroughly tested, meeting the TUV standards.

Beware of the very cheap deals you see, not only on ebay but via the other two main suppliers. These are most often 'white box' parts, imported from the far east and re boxed with the suppliers own German sounding 'brand name'.
Whilst the parts ar guaranteed for the statutory period, beyond that time is an unknown quantity - a bit like a black and decker drill.

I have owned Mercedes cars for the past 20 years and prefer the quality of parts rather than the low price when buying, a bit like the cars I run!!
I maintain that I would not, will not, ever sell parts that I would not fit to my own car.

I do not overtly advertise on this forum but always try to help when anybody has a parts enquiry. As yet I have no website (need someone to make one) but appreciate recommendations by others.
Of course it would be nice to have a set deal in place for members but this is not possible at the moment, suffice to say that any parts supplied to members are on a 'low margin' basis.

To summarise, brakes - try MB, if you are not happy with the price try an alternative but BRANDED with a reputable name.

Iv bought brake discs from franey, & it was a good deal,price,quality,& delivery. Good man

Just sent a PM, i will be adding the goodridge brake lines to, they really make the brakes feel a lot better. Cheers again chaps.

I'm interested in fitting braided hoses - they do give a better feel, especially where the rubber hoses are developing a bit of give. However, one MOT tester expressed concern about the fact that the fittings where not of a permanent nature. Still passed the car though.

Another tester failed the longer replacement hoses as they could foul part of the vehicle on full lock. A tie wrap sorted that.

Also, I've always put transparent spiral plastic wrap round the braid, to improve the abrasion resistance. The idea of road dirt working it's way under the stainless cover bothers me.

Ian.

Not always the case I'm afraid, I found MB to be cheaper for discs for my W202 when I had that than either ECP or GSF, plus you get a nice MB dealer receipt for the history file :thumb:

I wouldn't always assume MB to be more expensive until you've checked as often there's very little in it, or as in my case above, they can occasionally be cheaper (especially on consumable stuff)

Will

I totally agree Will, as I tend to always check with MB for parts and prices before I look anywhere else as well and like you said, you can be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

My comment was made on previous experience actually. Well the last time I bought discs for my W202, MB was more expensive for the same discs hence my recommendation.

But of course you should always check with MB first, you never know until you check…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom