Mirror glass?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SHAUNE55

Banned
Car
'01 E55 : '99 E55
As anyone tried these mirror glasses?
If you scroll down the ad to the fitting instructions they sound dodgy to me, but there is a big price difference to a proper one.
My N'S is not heating up but it has power so must be the element.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Have you checked the connection into the glass from the mirror housing? Mine wasnt working so I took the glass out and cleaned the connections (which were heavily corroded) and hey presto one working heated mirror glass. They connections also can become loose on the pins so i'd suggest popping the glass off and having a good clean up followed by refitting making sure the female pins go over tightly. Its well worth a try before parting with your hard earned.

I tried that but only quickly due to fading light and the connections are tiny so I just gave them a bit of a scrape with a small screwdriver.
Ill try it again tomorrow and get them really clean, I need to think of a way to clean the inside of the females properly.

Have you checked the connection into the glass from the mirror housing? Mine wasnt working so I took the glass out and cleaned the connections (which were heavily corroded) and hey presto one working heated mirror glass. They connections also can become loose on the pins so i'd suggest popping the glass off and having a good clean up followed by refitting making sure the female pins go over tightly. Its well worth a try before parting with your hard earned.

Sound advice :thumb:

What's the MB part # of your duff mirror?

I will have a look tomorrow when I pull it out do do a proper contact clean and circuit test, I was going to write it down before but didn't bother because I just wanted it back together and light was going fast.
Funny how when little things don't work that we never used to have can niggle.

As anyone tried these mirror glasses?
If you scroll down the ad to the fitting instructions they sound dodgy to me, but there is a big price difference to a proper one.
My N'S is not heating up but it has power so must be the element.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
I purchased a mirror from them for my wifes Renault after she had a disagreement with a post.

Quick delivery, connectors on back of glass for wiring, fitted in minutes and works fine.

Graham

I bought one for my W203.

The plastic backing plate that came with it looked rubbish, and was snap-on only (the original has a wire clip), so I re-used the MB one from my broken mirror. The heating element connections are in a slightly different place on the back of the mirror, so I had to drill a couple of new holes in the MB backing plate.

Now that it is fitted, it looks identical to the MB one, at a fraction of the price, and the heating element works perfectly.

I don't regret buying it, and the service from the seller was excellent, very fast delivery.

I bought one for my W203.

The plastic backing plate that came with it looked rubbish, and was snap-on only (the original has a wire clip), so I re-used the MB one from my broken mirror. The heating element connections are in a slightly different place on the back of the mirror, so I had to drill a couple of new holes in the MB backing plate.

Now that it is fitted, it looks identical to the MB one, at a fraction of the price, and the heating element works perfectly.

I don't regret buying it, and the service from the seller was excellent, very fast delivery.

When put that way it sounds a lot less hassle than the instructions on the sellers listing.

What's the MB part # of your duff mirror?

There is no actual part# except for 41-3131-453
This doesn't show up on the EPC (I didn't think it would).
There is one on ebay (used).
The element in mine has gone, there is no circuit with the meter on it although for a brief moment it did.
I cleaned up the corrosion where the male pin fell off when I was testing but still nothing otherwise I would have soldered it back on.

Was the reverse of your mirror like the one pictured below?
Does it have a thermostat switch liker the one at the White arrow?

Dec
8401d1192568463-heated-mirror-mirror-2.jpg

8400d1192568442-heated-mirror-mirror-1.jpg

That looks like what I had on my pre-facelift, I didn't take a picture but it's like this one.

Attachments

• Snap214.jpg
    Snap214.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 57
No, that doesn’t seem to have the thermostat switch.

Dec

No, that doesn’t seem to have the thermostat switch.

Dec

That was my first thought when I took it off, I was expecting it to have one like the other car.
Not sure how they work on these, on the others they get power only with engine running then controlled by the stat. This only gets power with the engine running but I presume there is a very small stat inside somewhere?
I would attempt to remove the backing plate just for a nosey but I will probably end up breaking the glass in the process.

You will brake it alright, the are very well put together/stuck on, the one in my picture cracked when I opened it (had replaced both mirrors because of heavy tarnishing)

As there is no thermostat switch then that element should be ok and heat up when 12v is applied… regardless of the temperature of the mirror glass.

Dec

Edit, does the other mirror heat up ok in cold weather?

You will brake it alright, the are very well put together/stuck on, the one in my picture cracked when I opened it (had replaced both mirrors because of heavy tarnishing)

As there is no thermostat switch then that element should be ok and heat up when 12v is applied… regardless of the temperature of the mirror glass.

Dec

Edit, does the other mirror heat up ok in cold weather?

Yes the other one heats up and there is power to the one that doesn't, there is no circuit through the bad one.
Just need to get a new glass.

I replaced my glass because it was cracked, so I was not worried about breaking the glass when I took it off the backplate. I prised the glass off with a screwdriver. The backplate was completely undamaged. The heating element remained stuck to the backplate, I had to pull it off separately. The replacement glass came with the heated element firmly stuck to the glass, and some double-sided sticky tape stuck to the heating element. After I drilled a couple of new holes on in the backing plate to match the heating element connectors, I stuck the glass on to the backing plate. No problems.

My class was for a pre-facelift w203, it has no thermostat. I don't know whether it is always heated, or if it is connected to the outside temperature sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom