Mirror image or, am I seeing double?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
Following on from Stratman's "it could climb a wall" thread, I wondered how many vehicles (civilian and non-civilian) were blatant copies or clones of other vehicles. For example, the Dongfeng EQ2050 Light Utility Vehicle might be familiar to some!

Dongfeng EQ2050 Light Utility Vehicle | Military-Today.com

150BHP and 2.3t - it would be quicker to walk the soldiers in :D. I guess it has bags of torques though..

Some here

Chinese copycat cars | Auto Express

In 2013, China produced a whopping 18.7 million cars. That equates to 22.7 per cent of global car production. But while many of these models were from companies we’ve never heard of, some look very similar to those produced by their European counterparts.

Read more: Chinese copycat cars | Auto Express

d4kb2a.jpg

jac-refine-a6-e-quarter.jpg

More here
The Ten Most Embarrassingly Obvious Car Knockoffs

17zegefqnwrk9jpg.jpg

Looking at the cars in the above links, it begs the question; why are western businesses still in bed with these rip-off artists? The long term economic consequences are quite scary IMO. Not so much fond of lychees as of leaching the ideas and reaping the benefits of everyone else's efforts, it would seem.

How do you mean "in bed with these rip off artists"?
The manufacturers obviously hate them.

Yet many western businesses are quite happy to have their products made in China… Apple for one.

Mercedes were also, IIRC, looking at Chinese production.

It's the #1 market in the world after all...

And not having them made in China, or not selling to China, won't stop the piece of **** rip off artists.

They might look alike in photos taken at flattering angles, but when viewed in the metal, these copy cats are nothing alike at all. The scale and proportions are all wrong for a start. Nobody would mistake a Geely for a Phantom. Skoda Superb maybe from the side & rear.

"why are western businesses in bed with these rip-off artists?"

I was referring to everything from underwear to cars to planes with everything in between that is built in China in an attempt to maximise profits by using cheap labour. The short term result is relatively cheap goods for the west and an improved balance sheet but long term, when the copies become clones, what then for western business and by extension, us?

The pursuit of profits by using this country's cheap labour is a very short view in relation to what is being given away in the long run in terms of design ideas, product development and research costs.

Well, I still think that even if you don't manufacture in China, they're still going to copy them. Louis Vuitton isn't made in China, but most of the copies come from there. So in my opinion these two things are not related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom