Mirror light help requested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
My 2004 W203 has (or had) a small orange coloured lamp which throws a very dim glow over the gearlever area of the centre console.

I have just noticed that it now doesnt come on. Having recently fiddled with my steering wheel controls to turn off my auto-folding mirrors during the winter months, I fear I may have inadvertantly switched off this lamp.

How do I switch it back on, and which button is the "reset" button?

Many thanks in advance.................

It is called "ambient lighting".
Mine has no settings in the menu to turn it on or off.
It is always on until the car goes to sleep.

Russ

Am I being old-fashioned but could the 'bulb' have possibly blown?

'Bulbs' - remember them?! lol

Am I being old-fashioned but could the 'bulb' have possibly blown?

'Bulbs' - remember them?! lol

I did consider this as a remote possibility - but bulbs so rarely fail on Mercedes. My only experience of a bulb blowing in over 18 months ownership is one of the rear number plate bulbs going.
Perhaps this is number 2.................

I wondered whether the setting "surround lighting" was this lamp on the steering wheel menu?
Does anyone know what or where the "reset" switch/button is?

Last edited:
Taken from my manual.............

If the surround lighting is switched on, the following lights will be switched on automatically in the dark after you have unlocked the vehicle using the key:
the side lamps
the tail lamps
the licence plate lighting
the front foglamps
The surround lighting switches off automatically if you open the driver's door or after 40 seconds.

Russ

Sounds like the bulb has blown..........my car does all what you describe.........

Is it an easy job changing the mirror bulb?

Thanks everybody.

Just found this..............

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/272009-ambient-light-rear-view-mirror.html

Useful advice...........

Why on earth didnt Mercedes make this bulb a plug-in type or at least one that didnt require soldering?
My intention is to snip the wires by the bulb. Replace the old blown bulb and reconnect using small terminal blocks - so no soldering to reconnect the new bulb.

Has anyone else done this?

All I need now is either the MB part number for the bulb OR the bulb rating/specification.

So the bulb doesnt blow again, I would rather overate the item and use a 18volt bulb if one is available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom