Mirror Not Folding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetMerced

Car
E350 AMG D-Line Cabriolet
Just joined and 2 posts in quick succession hopefully in the right place, as couldn't think where this best fits other than here. I've followed the reset instructions by going to settings and turning folding mirrors off exiting menu turning off car and locking it then. Back turned it back on turned off car locked and no joy. Have also completed a factory reset in settings still only one mirror folds in(right hand).

Has anyone got any suggestions on what it may be and where to go to get it fixed please?

Cheers!

Fold motor failure could be your problem.
Thanks for your reply I had this on my mind and might need to look at a replacement any recommendations on where to start? I only just bought the car it's my first Merc.

Thanks for your reply I had this on my mind and might need to look at a replacement any recommendations on where to start? I only just bought the car it's my first Merc.
More likely to be the wiring harness inside the mirror. It's a known point of failure, the constant in and out actually rubs through the harness.

More likely to be the wiring harness inside the mirror. It's a known point of failure, the constant in and out actually rubs through the harness.
+1. More likely a broken wire or two where the mirror is being folded back and forth over time.
Remove the mirror cover and check the loom for broken wires.

I took the mirror cover off and couldn't see any damaged wires.

+1. More likely a broken wire or two where the mirror is being folded back and forth over time.
Remove the mirror cover and check the loom for broken wires.
Removed cover all wires looked in good nick..

You could try doing a continuity check with a multimeter. If you do have broken wires you may be able to feel the break with your fingers through the insulation.

My CLK was the same, it was always the hinge needing lubricated then the mirror always worked after that.

Not sure about 2016 MB's but the wires in some older models (mine included 2006) are notorious for failure , whether it be the ones for heating , glass movement or folding.

Many owners of older MB's never fold their mirrors unless they really have to (me included after having to make a repair) . The wires are very thin and hard to check 'with the eye' unless visibly snapped.

Taking the mirror cover off and having a look is not going to help unless you can see an obvious break.
Not sure about your car but on mine you have to remove the inner door card and unbolt the mirror from within (Note 1615024653306.pngyou will need 5 point not 6 point security torx to remove the mirror) . Does everything else work on the mirror ? movement , heating etc ? . It could be the control unit that it plugs into that is mounted in the door.

The wires go through 3 x 90 degree bends in a space of about 8 inches, all of which are internal to the hinge mechanism.
Sorry got called away before I finished.
Removing the mirror should be fairly easy as long as you are fairly practical. Then you would need to strip the outer cover and have a proper look.
Alternatively, find the plug that connects it to your door control module, unplug it so you have 1 end of the wires. Remove the glass and you will see the other end of the wires. Use a multimeter to test continuity in all wires.
OR
Go on ebay, spend £100 (ish) for a used one, swap your covers over to it and put your feet up.

Sorry got called away before I finished.
Removing the mirror should be fairly easy as long as you are fairly practical. Then you would need to strip the outer cover and have a proper look.
Alternatively, find the plug that connects it to your door control module, unplug it so you have 1 end of the wires. Remove the glass and you will see the other end of the wires. Use a multimeter to test continuity in all wires.
OR
Go on ebay, spend £100 (ish) for a used one, swap your covers over to it and put your feet up.
Thanks I have taken off the mirror cover and sprayed some lubricant just encase it was somehow stiff. That's not worked, so before I check the wires I was thinking the fuse, but I don't know where the fuse for the mirrors are have checked everywhere in manual online asked mechanics and think I already asked on the forum to no avail.

Does anyone know the answer? I have 3 compartments 1 in boot 1 under bonnet and 1 side of steering wheel. Also, does 1 fuse power both mirrors, because if so then it's obviously not the fuse as the right mirror works fine. I don't want to skip this step and move onto the wires and multimeter option until I understand.. I will seriously buy someone a few ice cold beers for this 🍻

Thanks I have taken off the mirror cover and sprayed some lubricant just encase it was somehow stiff. That's not worked, so before I check the wires I was thinking the fuse, but I don't know where the fuse for the mirrors are have checked everywhere in manual online asked mechanics and think I already asked on the forum to no avail.

Does anyone know the answer? I have 3 compartments 1 in boot 1 under bonnet and 1 side of steering wheel. Also, does 1 fuse power both mirrors, because if so then it's obviously not the fuse as the right mirror works fine. I don't want to skip this step and move onto the wires and multimeter option until I understand.. I will seriously buy someone a few ice cold beers for this 🍻
The wing mirrors take power and control instructions (tilt, in, out etc) from the Door Control Module which is behind the front door panel. So unless you are having problems with other items it controls (most things in the door) it is unlikely to be a fuse.

The wing mirrors take power and control instructions (tilt, in, out etc) from the Door Control Module which is behind the front door panel. So unless you are having problems with other items it controls (most things in the door) it is unlikely to be a fuse

You saved me a headache their much appreciated, as the mirror function to change mirror view angle works and all other functions i.e. windows etc. Do you know if the cable to the fold the mirror in is the same one to change the mirror view angle? Or do they have separate cables?

Be great if you know the answer as it will help isolate where the issue lies.

Cheers!

You saved me a headache their much appreciated, as the mirror function to change mirror view angle works and all other functions i.e. windows etc. Do you know if the cable to the fold the mirror in is the same one to change the mirror view angle? Or do they have separate cables?

Be great if you know the answer as it will help isolate where the issue lies.

Cheers!
Your wing mirror will have 2 harnesses (and an HSD cable if you have a camera in it). Each of these harnesses will terminate in 1 x black and 1 x white plug which go into the door control module.
Each harness contains between 7 and 16 individual cables that supply signal/power for the different functions (heated mirror feed + return, up, down, left, right........ you get the idea). I would GUESS that the cable that supplies power to the fold motor has worn through from use (folding in and out) and therefore the function is not possible.
This is a well documented problem with the Mercedes mirrors. Not a tricky problem to fix as long as you are happy to strip your mirror right down and repair the cable.

Your wing mirror will have 2 harnesses (and an HSD cable if you have a camera in it). Each of these harnesses will terminate in 1 x black and 1 x white plug which go into the door control module.
Each harness contains between 7 and 16 individual cables that supply signal/power for the different functions (heated mirror feed + return, up, down, left, right........ you get the idea). I would GUESS that the cable that supplies power to the fold motor has worn through from use (folding in and out) and therefore the function is not possible.
This is a well documented problem with the Mercedes mirrors. Not a tricky problem to fix as long as you are happy to strip your mirror right down and repair the cable.
Very helpful information I'll be able to get this sorted now thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom