Mirror unit thefts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Are again sweeping parts of London. Electric folding units off MB E,S & M class & BMW 5 & 7 series seem favourite.

This seems to cost up to a Grand to put right or more depending on damage caused. Never mind the human rights legislation: Death is too good for them :mad:

Unfortuantely, electric folding mirrors are just too easy to pinch and this used to be common practise at first on the previous generation M3 to kit up standard 3 series cars back on the ealry/mid 90s.

When the eletric mirrors are actually folded in this makes the job for the "scum" even easier!!!

Parktronic Sensors on the MBs W220/211/W203s are even easier to remove then the actual electric folding mirrors...

Can I recommend anybody with electric folding mirrors to swap the screws for torx / security torx bolts ... won't stop them from being stolen, but will deter the opportunist thief with philips screwdriver !

S.

sym said:
Can I recommend anybody with electric folding mirrors to swap the screws for torx / security torx bolts ... won't stop them from being stolen, but will deter the opportunist thief with philips screwdriver !

S.

Excellent tip, any ideas on what size we may need? Planning to upgrade my mirror indicators to the newer (clearer) 2005 type, coulg be a sensible mod at the same time to fit the Torx scews.

Although I seem to remember that some people used to saw off the M3 mirrors in the mid 1990's :eek:

A-AvantGarde said:
Excellent tip, any ideas on what size we may need? Planning to upgrade my mirror indicators to the newer (clearer) 2005 type, coulg be a sensible mod at the same time to fit the Torx scews.

Although I seem to remember that some people used to saw off the M3 mirrors in the mid 1990's :eek:

Nope - when I got my blinking folding mirrors from Steve (MBenzNL) he had already swapped the screws for torx bolts ... smart guy ! :cool: Same length / size as the screws that are in it though ... take one out and you should be able to match it up without too much difficulty.

S.

Shame we can't hook them up to a small pyrotechnic charge, just enough to make the individual VERY light fingered indeed...

Might make them think twice about it :D

DolphiN Tech said:
Shame we can't hook them up to a small pyrotechnic charge, just enough to make the individual VERY light fingered indeed...

Might make them think twice about it :D

There's a similar thread somewhere about three pointed star theft :D Somebody suggested a razor sharp finish might be appropriate ;)

Disclaimer : *Don't try this at home*

Replacement with Flat Emblem probably safer !

S.

sym said:
There's a similar thread somewhere about three pointed star theft :D Somebody suggested a razor sharp finish might be appropriate ;)

Disclaimer : *Don't try this at home*

Replacement with Flat Emblem probably safer !

S.
I'm sure I've also seen a similar thread about Xenon HID headlight theft too. :crazy:

Makes you want to rig up some high voltage circuit to all vulnerable external parts of the vehicle. Lets face it, all petrol cars would have an HT electrical circuit anyways, would be ideal to use it to deter thieving
censored.gif

S.

If these mirrors are being stolen because the mounting bolts are exposed when the mirrors are folded in , apart from Torx bolts for which drivers are fairly easy to obtain in almost any tool shop , it is possible to obtain proper security bolts in most metric sizes from places like RS components. These are akin to locking wheel bolts and have an irregular pattern ; they will come with a tool for fitting/removal.

Can the folding operation on these vehicles not be disabled so the mirrors stay out all the time thus hiding the bolts ? Anyway if the mechanism is left open to the elements when folded does dirt not get in ?

The mechanism and motors are quite well shielded ... just the screws that are not ! Disabling the function would be giving in to the thieves, and defeating the object of having folding mirrors in the first place !

S.

It is a feature that I personally would never want on a car and I have never been able to see the neccessity for them ; if it is meant to be an anti-vandalism measure it obviously has the opposite effect .

The mirrors effectively provide 'antennae' which help to judge a safe distance from walls etc. Due to the curvature of body panels they usually do not protrude much , if at all , beyond the widest part of the car anyway .

Whilst I am not prone to doing this sort of damage , I would far rather scrape the tip of a mirror against a wall than do in a door or wing .

Personally, I think that electric folding mirrors are fantastic and worth the money. I could never have a car without this option. Not only is it good for getting through/negotiating tight gaps in traffic and parking spaces but is also good when I park my car in my garage and gives me more room/space and I don’t have to worry about scraping the mirrors in the process. Electric mirrors are very useful when parking on a main road.

Replacement mirrors/housing units are expensive brand new and I personally would not want my wing or wing mirrors or anything damaged on my car full stop.

Pontoneer said:
It is a feature that I personally would never want on a car and I have never been able to see the neccessity for them ; if it is meant to be an anti-vandalism measure it obviously has the opposite effect .

The mirrors effectively provide 'antennae' which help to judge a safe distance from walls etc. Due to the curvature of body panels they usually do not protrude much , if at all , beyond the widest part of the car anyway .

Whilst I am not prone to doing this sort of damage , I would far rather scrape the tip of a mirror against a wall than do in a door or wing .

Certainly not a necessity, and agree that the mirrors are useful for judging distance when parking in the garage ..... but its useful to be able to fold them once you have parked, especially if in a very tight space. Its not a feature that you realise the value of until you've had a car with them on ... had them on the 202, and I miss mine :(

S.

Pontoneer said:

Not forgetting to mention about the "pose" value as well :cool:

Their essential when you drive a tank like mine!

Last edited:
Well , having driven cars so equipped (W220 S-Class , W211 E-Class) , I still see them as a gimmick with no practical value . They can certainly be of no assistance parking when folded as you then cannot see anything except possibly your own reflection .

If you can afford an S-Class then surely you can afford a big enough garage to accomodate it and still have room to get out.

If you have to retract them to get through spaces in traffic , you are too d**m**d close : who in their right mind would go within an inch of other traffic when a door may open or another driver may veer toward you ? Sayonara NCD !!

You definitely need them on a W140!!!

Though I find them handy on my W202 as well.

Folding mirrors mightn't be particularly useful when parking, but electric mirrors are!

Pontoneer said:
Well , having driven cars so equipped (W220 S-Class , W211 E-Class) , I still see them as a gimmick with no practical value . They can certainly be of no assistance parking when folded as you then cannot see anything except possibly your own reflection .

If you can afford an S-Class then surely you can afford a big enough garage to accomodate it and still have room to get out.

If you have to retract them to get through spaces in traffic , you are too d**m**d close : who in their right mind would go within an inch of other traffic when a door may open or another driver may veer toward you ? Sayonara NCD !!

Its not all about parking in a space too close that they need to be retracted , i take on board your comment about wanting to hit the mirror rather than a wing , but with the current price of mirrors ( £500+ ) one often thinks a wing might be significantly cheaper to "ding" .

On a more positive note , the new auto folding upon locking the car is rather cool :D

i have these on my 7 series. Essential i think on a car of this size. Once parked up, you can fold them in to avoid people knocking against them.

unfortuntaly as the 7 series (and 3-series i think) mirrors fold and twist upwards, they stick out like a saw thumb and probably atrract vandals to pull them off, touch wood never happended to me!

useful if parking at side of road or in a parking space to avoid other people scrapping against them as they walk/drive past.

They are not a gimmic; they serve a useful purpose. Many cars mirros fold in even if u have to do it manually; which i would always do when parked up at the side of the road - its the time when 2 wing mirrors collide that causes damage, not another car's body hitting your mirrror, or a pedestrian walking past and catching against the mirror, causing damage or scrapes.

ive had mirrors stolen 3 times when i had my E36 M3, also had the side strips stolen, side repeaters. Basically anything thats clipped on which can easily be wrenched off was stolen, and not cheap to replace!

on the merc, luckily only the valve caps have gone a few times, just waiting for the day the AMG badge to be stolen! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom