Misfire ?? Hesitation? any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers..

I own a W203 320cdi and the other night was taking friends to the theatre -- whilst pulling up a hill I put my foot down and there was a mild splutter - enough for my wife to ask why was I driving like that ...but no more until today.

Today I had stopped at Reading services -- pulling out onto the M4 I put my foot down -- doing around 40mph and it was terrible - about 5-7 continuous splutters before i lifted off and slowly squeezed back down ....no problems.
Do you think I can now re-produce it ....NO...:mad:

It is still under warranty (3 months left to go) so I will ring the dealer and get them to look at it .. but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas I could mention to them that they can check ....

Phoned friend behind and they said --- there was NO BLACK SMOKE ....hope that helps

Thanks

Last edited:
Fuel filter clogged by lesser quality fuel(do you buy from a supermarket?). That'd be my obvious first guess.

Fuel filter clogged by lesser quality fuel(do you buy from a supermarket?). That'd be my obvious first guess.

Usually put in Esso ... from local filling station -- sometimes supermarket but not often. I thought all the fuels came from the same refining stations anyway - all the supermarkets do is buy in bulk from a refiner.

yes could be a number of things... have they changed your fuel filters yet? also could be maf...

Usually put in Esso ... from local filling station -- sometimes supermarket but not often. I thought all the fuels came from the same refining stations anyway - all the supermarkets do is buy in bulk from a refiner.

To be fair you may well be right, but there were scares with petrol supplies from Tesco about 12-18 months ago - not sure the same problems occured with Diesel. This could be one of those urban myths to make sure we pay more for 'branded' fuel :rolleyes: .

Perhaps it's worth getting some fuel treament like Redex and giving that a go just in case you've got gunk in your injectors. For the sake of £5 or so it's worth it.

yes could be a number of things... have they changed your fuel filters yet? also could be maf...

Fuel filter changed in May 08 at last service. Is MAF an air filter - that was changed earlier this year ...

To be fair you may well be right, but there were scares with petrol supplies from Tesco about 12-18 months ago - not sure the same problems occured with Diesel. This could be one of those urban myths to make sure we pay more for 'branded' fuel :rolleyes: .

Perhaps it's worth getting some fuel treament like Redex and giving that a go just in case you've got gunk in your injectors. For the sake of £5 or so it's worth it.

I may be being silly but I am loath to put something like Redex in whilst it is under warranty .. don't want anyone turning round to me telling me I have voided the warranty for using a non recommended additive.

no this is the Mass Airflow Sensor.... if its under warranty, im sure you will soon have it sorted..

no this is the Mass Airflow Sensor.... if its under warranty, im sure you will soon have it sorted..

Cheers Jay - so I gather this is a warranty item and not a service item like fuel and air filters..:rock:

hmm well I would class it as a service item these days but im sure MB would cover it,.

Car booked into MB dealer tomorrow afternoon...... fingers crossed.

The MAF shouldn't cause spluttering, just less overall power.
I go with an air leak into the fuel lines when the engine is under load.

The only real faults that engine seems to be suffering with ATM is the inlet port shutoff but I can see how that would affect the engine in that way.

The only real faults that engine seems to be suffering with ATM is the inlet port shutoff but I can see how that would affect the engine in that way.

Ollie did you mean can or can't ??

The MAF shouldn't cause spluttering, just less overall power.
I go with an air leak into the fuel lines when the engine is under load.

I'd agree with an air leak in the fuel lines.
Do you have trouble starting the vehicle in mornings?
Check the clear pipes around the fuel filter (you'll have to pull back the black casing to see the clear pipe underneath)With the engine running check to see if there are any bubbles in the pipe it should be clear no bubbles just fuel.
The Maf should not cause spluttering:) :)

I'd agree with an air leak in the fuel lines.
Do you have trouble starting the vehicle in mornings?
Check the clear pipes around the fuel filter (you'll have to pull back the black casing to see the clear pipe underneath)With the engine running check to see if there are any bubbles in the pipe it should be clear no bubbles just fuel.
The Maf should not cause spluttering:) :)

No trouble starting in the mornings when cold or any time when warm / hot. It has only happened twice .. and wont do it when I want it to..lol....but then isn't that always the way.:crazy:

Well back from the dealers - they can't get any error codes displaying. Can't reproduce the stuttering either - suggested that I take it away and if it keeps happening bring it back and hopefully an error code will be displayed. MAF is ok and the ECU fully updated with latest software. He thought it might be a turbo vane sticking but without an error code can't do anything. Did say that as it has been reported prior to the end of its warranty it would be covered beyond the warranty period.

Oh well and now to add to my woes ...wifey has "mislaid" the keys so am on only one set ..thought that this might be a good opportunity to get a new "shiny" key ..but would you believe I can't find the V5 document ....damn..:devil: :mad:

Oh well its turn the office upside down time or pay £25 for a new one...:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom